Breastfeeding

How often do you replace pump parts (and which)

I have the Medela Pump in Style.  I started using it once a day at 6 weeks and now use it every day (more on 3 days I work).  I have on order a set of new tubing and the little rubber pieces.

How often do you all replace them and do you find it impacts output to do so?

Re: How often do you replace pump parts (and which)

• You shouldn't have to replace tubing unless milk gets in them, or if you let moisture sit in the tubes. You are supposed to let the pump run for a couple of minutes after you finish to clear out any moisture that accumulated in them. Replacing the tubing will not help output in any way, it only makes it more sanitary if there is anything in the tubes.

I replace my membranes every month or so, after 60-70 pumps. My output doesn't really change, but the amount of time I have to pump to get the same amount does. They get worn out and get more flexible as time goes on, and I find that the better suction decreases my pumping time with new membranes.

You don't need to replace anything else, although periodically sterilizing everything but the tubing is good practice. You shouldn't need to sterilize the tubing unless you got milk in them.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    #3 Due April 2016
  • I EP'd for 6 months with my son and I never replaced anything except for the membranes once.  With this new baby I plan on replacing the tubing since I tried to sterilize it before packing it away last time and am not 100% sure I got all the moisture out.
    CafeMom Tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I've had mine for about 2 months now and haven't replaced anything.  I have extra parts but I think my problem is my motor is going out not the parts.  It makes a funny noise.  Lot of trouble for a $300 machine. 
  • imagecottonlily84:
    I've had mine for about 2 months now and haven't replaced anything.  I have extra parts but I think my problem is my motor is going out not the parts.  It makes a funny noise.  Lot of trouble for a $300 machine. 

Call their customer service. I have only ever heard great things! They will get you a new pump ASAP if they can't troubleshoot it over the phone. 

#3 Due April 2016
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"