Special Needs
Options

Holiday highs and lows

I feel like I've been up and down the past couple of months or so with all of the holiday stuff. Halloween it was struggling to find a costume DS could tolerate, Thanksgiving was struggling with his food/texture aversions, and now Christmas...I'm sure you know. Really, it's been going fairly well. He loves our tree and even put a few ornaments up. I think we found some toys that he'll be interested in this year (versus buying a bunch that hardly got used last year).

But, today was his preschool Christmas party, and he came home with a backpack full of candy, cookies, etc. They had Santa come and give all the kids a Build-a-Bear toy. It was great, but DS couldn't have cared less. Those little things are the ones that sometimes get to me the most. It sucks when we want him to be able to have those special childhood experiences and in reality it just isn't going to happen. Today was one of those days.

Re: Holiday highs and lows

• Options
    Just want to give you a hug. This is our first christmas with a DX and it has been up and down like crazy for me too. HUGS <3
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I hear you, we have to wait longer for DS to grow into everything. He still doesn't open or care about presents at all, maybe in another year. One day at a time, try to focus on the positives. I can't wait to take DS to Build-a-Bear but he probably won't be ready for a few years. Hugs!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageCrazeyJaneyR:
    Just want to give you a hug. This is our first christmas with a DX and it has been up and down like crazy for me too. HUGS <3

Us too.  He likes the tree and the lights - he'll walk up to it and look at some of the ornaments sometimes.  Most times he just ignores it.  He's not really into presents but if it's a toy he likes he's into that - for a little bit at least. 

{{hugs}} for everyone.  One day at a time. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• Options
    Same here. I'm excited about Christmas but at the same time really nervous. I tried really hard to get DS presents that I think he'll enjoy. So I think it might just break my heart if we wake up Christmas morning and he couldn't care less, which is a distinct possibility. I never thought I'd be nervous about my child getting gifts! But we all have expectations about what our holiday traditions will be like with our own families, and if it doesn't go as planned... well, it's another reminder that our lives are different than what we had hoped for. My fingers are crossed for all of us that the holidays are fantastic:)
  • Options
    I hear you - I had a good cry last night when my daughter completely ignored her present (we celebrate Hanukkah) even though I really thought it would be one that she would really like.  It's very hard to hear all of the  cute things that other kids say about the holidays, when my daughter can't say anything except "more" and "baby" and "elmo".  Tonight she's getting an Elmo toy so hopefully it will be a better night! 
  • Options

I'm sorry. I can definitely relate as well. It's always pretty hard to look for presents for DS. When I asked him what he wanted from Santa, he said: "Tacos".

Ugh.

• Options

Thanks everyone.

I am so glad to have found this board. Seriously, it's great to have a place where I know you all "get" me.

• Options
    Just wanted to say its the same with us.  I am hoping next year is a little more exciting.  I am pretty sure I move our elf every night and I am the only one who even notices it.  
    imageLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"