Two Under 2
Options

baby & toddler sharing a room?

Just found out today that #2 is also a boy, and I'm seriously considering having both boys share a room.  DS#1's room is too small to share, so I would move him & the new baby into the bigger guest room, and make his old room the guest room.  I know that #2 will sleep in our room for 2-3 months at night & nap in the living room during the day, but what about after that?  #1 did not take good naps til he was 7-8 months old & didn't STTN til 12 months.  Will going in there at night to settle the baby mess up #1's sleep, or will he just get used to it?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: baby & toddler sharing a room?

• Options

We are keeping our boys in separate rooms until this summer. We wanted #2 STTN consistently and for them both to be in beds. Our thinking was if we didn't want an infant in our room waking us up, our toddler wouldn't want an infant in his room waking him up kwim? 

Edit: spelling

• Options

We moved DD in with DS when she was 6 months and pretty consistently STTN.  I had her nap (and still do) in the PNP in our room while DS naps in their room in his crib.  (DD is a much better sleeper than DS, so she will sleep anywhere)  

When either of them wakes at night, even when there is a fair amount of crying, they tend to not wake each other up.  The exception is right after one has fallen asleep or close to their wake up time in the morning.  

Otherwise they do great sharing a room, and really like it!  We moved when DD was 12 months and both kids can have their own rooms now, but we kept them together because they loved it so much.  When DS moves to a big boy bed, I think we will move DD out, just because I don't want him running around the room and bothering her.  He will be ready for that in a few months.  

Good luck!  I was afraid of the room sharing thing, but it has worked out much better than I would have expected! 

TTC#1 = Success on Cycle#19 with Clomid/trigger/b2b IUIs; beta#1 (15dpiui) 200, #2 (18dpiui) 433, #3 (22dpiui) 2356; TTC#2 = Surprise BFP 9/2009; TTC#3 = m/c at 6 wks, 10/29/11; BFP#2 4/1/2012... Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ours are 21 months apart and share a room. I moved DS  into DD's room when he was about 5 months. Moving him out of my room actually improved his sleep significantly. Now if either of them cries, for the most part, they don't wake each other up. The exception is that I do have the baby nap in my room in a pack and play.
    BabyFetus TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Room sharing can work if you have good sleepers. DD2 slept in our room for 3 months before out growing the bassinet and moving to the nursery where DD1 slept in a toddler bed. Our problem, DD1 started to have nightmares or something when she would not STTN.  DD2 is an extremely light sleeper and in addition to waking on her own for feedings she was waking up in btwn due to noise. We had to eventually move DD1 into her own room.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    my babies shared a room for the 1st 18 mos of DS's life.  DS was not a good sleeper as a newborn so spent more time in the bassinet than planned.  once his naps/bedtimes became more regular, i had them in the same room.  miraculously, when one woke, the other slept thru it.  it was a pain at times, but i didn't really have a choice.  a noise machine worked well too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"