April 2012 Moms
Options

Recommend your mid-sized SUV

DH and I are in the market for a new car and with baby 2 coming we need more room. I wanted a GMC Terrain but Consumer Reports didn't give it a great rating and said visibility out of the back is poor. My main requirement is that it get somewhat decent gas mileage...I have a long commute (interstate thankfully) and wexmake the 170 mile round trip commute to our hometown 1-2 times a month. Thanks!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Recommend your mid-sized SUV

• Options
    We got a Hyundai Tuscon.  It gets great highway mileage.  I just think it is a bumpy ride...
  • Options
    I have a Mitsubishi Outlander GT.  I absolutely love it. I splurged on all of the extras (back up camera, leather, four wheel drive, etc., but it was totally worth it.)  It has the third row seat and has great power.  Doesn't ride like a truck, which I find nice.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have a 2011 Dodge Journey. I love it. Lots of storage room and has 3rd row seats if I need them. It also has the ice chest compartment in the driver and passenger back floor boards.
  • Options

I would look into the Honda Pilot.  It has great reviews. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am not sure if mine classifies as a mid-sized. I have a Chevy Traverse. I love it. We traded my Chrysler Pacifica for it. I needed something with 3rd row seating (the old one did have it but you couldn't get thru the middle of the bucket seats) that had a pass thru between the center bucket seats. We drove 1100 miles in it in November and it did great on gas for a bigger truck.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

DS - 7.2006 - C-Section b/c Breech
    DS2 - 4.2008 - Successful Vbac
    DD - 5.2012 - Successful Vbac
  • Options
    I'm looking all these up right now and sending them to DH. My coworker has a Journey and I really like it but DH refuses to buy a Dodge.
  • Options
    I have a ford escape and I love it!! The back seat is nice and roomy...the ride is way smooth and I get 30 mpg city and almost 35 highway. It also scored very highly in crash tests. I'm not sure if it is considered a small or mid-sized, but it is plenty roomy for us.
    Photobucket
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Anniversary
  • Options
    Oddly enough, we bought a new Kia Sorento the week I got KU.  I LOVE that car.  It has all the bells and whistles I need without being pricey and presumptuous.  When DH suggested we look at Kias, I scoffed at him.  Years ago, those cars were a joke.  Now they are some of the best selling in the country, for good reason.  We get compliments on it all the time.  I've even had people stop me in parking lots and ask if they could look inside!
  • Options
    I had an escape before DD was born and we traded that in for a 2011 Pilot, I love it. It's an SUV but it's not huge, and it's not small. Tons of room, 3 rows of seating, and even with the 3 rows up there's still trunk room. 
  • Options
    We have a Rav4 and love it so far, there is a ton of room and gets good safety reviews as well.  My SIL has an Escape and loves that as well.
  • Options

We have a 2010 Acura RDX. It's more a crossover, but I love it. Drives nice, has a good turbo engine when you need to accelerate. It's comfortable and large without being huge! It's decent on gas mileage at around 24mpg highway. Even their base model comes practically fully loaded.

Other SUVs we were looking at were VW Tiguan, Honda CRV, Nissan Rogue, Nissan Murano.

Mr and Mrs EST 8.19.06

DD#1 3.28.12
  • Options

We have the Honda CRV and love it--I'm not sure if it's considered "midsize"...but you can decide that:)  The Honda Pilot that PP mentioned is basically the bigger version.

We bought it because it has very high crash test ratings and gets very good gas mileage for an SUV (27mpg).  It also has 4wd which has been amazing this winter in the snow and ice.

The Toyota RAV4 is basically the same car from a different company with pretty much the same excellent crash ratings and gas mileage, so if you prefer Toyota, that's the comparable car.  Those were the two we chose between.

good luck!  

• Options
    imageMUPPETinMA:
    Oddly enough, we bought a new Kia Sorento the week I got KU.  I LOVE that car.  It has all the bells and whistles I need without being pricey and presumptuous.  When DH suggested we look at Kias, I scoffed at him.  Years ago, those cars were a joke.  Now they are some of the best selling in the country, for good reason.  We get compliments on it all the time.  I've even had people stop me in parking lots and ask if they could look inside!
    I'm glad you said that. DH suggested we lookmat the Sorento the other day and I gave him a major side eye, but he said their reputation has totally turned around. His boss has one and loves it...we'll see what Consumer Reports says...that's his bible when it comes to buying anything!
  • Options
    One warning about the Rav4: you may only be able to fit two carseats (and NO middle passenger) in the back.  The back driver's side belt and the middle seat belt overlap, so if a carseat is put in one position, you cannot use the other.  Besides this, I love my Rav4, and will be very sad to get rid of it when/if a third child comes.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We have a Mitsubishi Endeavor and a Mazda Tribute- they're both one of those SUV's that not many people have heard of but we really like them. I wouldn't say they're super fuel efficient though but better than most SUVs.

We're about to upgrade to the Lexus RX 350 though... very excited =]

Pregnancy Ticker
    imageimage
  • Options
    I have a Chrysler Pacifica, which is a Crossover moreso than an SUV, but I am IN LOVE with it.
    DD#1 11.7.07 - DD#2 11.2.10 (3rd Tri Loss)- DD#3 4.18.12
  • Options
    We love our Nissan Rogue which is a smaller version of the Murano, and if we were looking for a mid-size we would definitely go with the Murano. I used to have a CR-V and loved that too, but I wouldn't consider that mid-size. My sister had a Pilot for a while and didn't like it, she ended up trading it in after a year. I drove it a couple times and found it to be a little too big/cumbersome. I wish Honda had a true mid-size SUV since I love all the Hondas I've had.
  • Options
    We have a Mercedes GLK. It is more of a compact SUV, but it is really nice and very, very safe. I am currently getting 19.7 mpg average, and on the highway for long trips it easily gets 25+ mpg. 
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    I LOVE my Ford Edge.  We bought ours previously owned, but decked out and it is awesome!  It's large enough to accommodate three car seats across, which other makes generally can't.  That being said, it is big and heavy so it's not the best on gas (but also not the worst).  The only other down side to ours is that it does not have remote start which is key where I live.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I have an Infiniti FX35 that is a crossover SUV. It has amazing handling, not so great gas milage and a roomy trunk. 

It is the equivalent of the Nissan Murano but with a slightly different shape and luxury features. 

I love how it gets me a bit higher off the road- important in TX where most ppl have giant trucks or SUVs and drive like the criminally insane.

Since I am small -5'0 - I love that I can see everything comfortably and everything can be adjusted to fit me. Many other SUVs feel like they were made for giants.  

Photobucket
  • Options
    DH has a 2010 BMW X3 that is a fun car to drive but not too big.  I think we'll find it a little tight with two kids though and we're looking to sell it.  I have an Audi Q7, which we love and has the 3rd row of seats and lots of space.  Will be great with 2 or 3 kids.
    mmc @ 14 weeks - November 2009. Missed every day. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 15DPO:461 17DPO (47hrs later):1380
  • Options

I also have a Ford Edge! LOVE! The Edge doesn't have the best gas mileage out of all the midsize SUVs we looked at, (and I commute too), but it was sooo smooth! I spend a lot of time on the road and like a smooth ride.  Plus, the car feels so heavy and has great safety ratings.  The back seat is very big for a crossover and lots of trunk area space.  I got a 2011 edition, and it has everything a girl could want! Leather, Sync technology to talk on the phone without a head piece, back up camera, panorama sun roof, navigation...love it! Ford really stepped up their game recently.  I've had it for a year and still love it.

I also test drove the Terrain....big NO for me, VERY difficult to see (they do come with back up cameras, standard).  I test drove the Honda CRV, Toyota RAV4, and Chevy Equinox.  The Ford (which I'm surprised since I'm a Honda girl) beat them all as far as space, luxury, and a quiet and smooth ride. Honda and Toyota had the best gas mileage. 

• Options
    My parents bought a Sorento with all the bells and whistles about a year ago (after crashing a Durango), and they absolutely love it. I find it comfortable to ride or drive, and it's a lot easier fitting all of us in that vehicle than it ever was with the Durango.
    Micah Leonard
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I also have a Ford Edge and love it. I've had it since '08 and still love driving it everyday.The backseat is very roomy and the trunk is plenty of space (which is good since I'll be throwing a double stroller back there soon). I don't drive far to work so the gas mileage does not bother me.
  • Options
    Thanks for all your suggestions! I forwarded them to DH and he's going to break out the CR buying guide tonight
  • Options
    I love my Toyota Highlander.  It has a 3rd row seat if needed (it takes away all of the trunk space if you use it and it is very small, built more for kids than adults but it comes in very handy if needed).  I get at least 25 miles per gallon.  I love it! 
  • Options

I love hearing all the great reviews of the Edge!  I have been wanting one for a couple of years now.  I currently have a Focus and there is no way we are going to get another car seat in there.  I am thinking that after we get our tax refund and my bonus, we are going to use that to get one.

DH has been looking at auctions and other sites like that.  He really doesn't want to hve to buy from a dealer, but I just want to get one.  I cant' wait!

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"