Preemies

Baby born at 33w4d. Immune system?

Hi ladies. Our baby was born at 33weeks due to some complications. When we left he hospital we were told to avoid visitors for 6-8 weeks, and to not allow any touching etc. when people do come over since babies get their antibodies during the 34th week and he was born early. Does anyone else have any experience with this? I have been terrified to have anyone touch him. After we came home he was readmitted for 3 days due to jaundice, I can not even handle the thought of him getting sick right now.

Re: Baby born at 33w4d. Immune system?

• A lot of the ladies on here have had experience with those sorts of requirements from the pediatrician.  My son was born at 26w and was released from the NICU at the beginning of April.  Flu season here lasts through April and into May, so he wasn't allowed out in public through May (about 2 months).  This year, we're also trying to avoid crowds (although we aren't totally quarantined), and he gets the Synagis shots to help protect him from RSV.

Many of the ladies on here are in full lockdown during flu season.  They basically aren't leaving their houses with the LOs, are canceling Christmas, etc.  It stinks, but it's best for the babies.  A preemie getting sick can be a big deal.  It stinks when you're worried about offending people and can't introduce your LO to everyone, but it's better for them in the long run.

Hang in there!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

imageimage
  • Congrats on your son's birth!  I'm a 3T & PAIF grad, so I still lurk there and have followed your story a bit.

Most preemie moms have dealt with weak immune systems.  Like your dr said, your little guy didn't get his antibodies since he was born early.  Are you BFing?  You can help protect and build his immunity by passing on antibodies via BM.  

Please forgive me if this question is offending -- what are the conditions like in your part of Africa?  I'm just thinking you may have to take more precautions than preemie moms in the US and Canada.  

Most of us have found that if we wear our babies, it keep people from touching.  So if you have to go out, buy a wrap or carrier.

Keep us posted Smile 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I am breastfeeding! That makes me feel better, I feel so guilty about falling and needing an emergency c section. Where we live the conditions are ok, we do work with really poor people who do get sick very often. But I will be a SAHM until he is six months old so hopefully he will have enough time to build up a strong immune system. Thanks ladies! I am so out of my league here with this early baby. We were not prepared at all!
  • We weren't told any such things.  DS is getting breastmilk and we are staying home a lot but we aren't keeping others from holding him if they come visit us. 
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers image image image
  • DS gets synagis. everyone HAS to wash their hands to touch DS. if someone is sick they cannot be around DS. we rarely take DS out of the house. if for some reason he touches something while out or someone touches him i wipe his hands down. i usually give DS a bath or wipe him down if we have a visitor. however DS is 7 months and getting all breastmilk so may not be as fragile as a younger baby. 
  • Our twins were born at 33w6d, and have had very minimal immune system issues...  They are 6 months old today, and have been in daycare since October 17th.  No colds, no flu, no nothing, which I'm actually quite surprised at, honestly! 

We weren't told anything about limiting visitors, but we were told to keep them out of nursing homes (both DH and I have grandparents in nursing homes) and away from those that could be ill. 

We do require that anyone who comes into our home use hand sanitizer, but that's just precautionary on our end...  Good Luck!!  Maybe ask the LO's pedi? 

Mr. & Mrs. ~ 09.08.07

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"