Special Needs

Official diagnosis from evaluation ?

We heard back from Children's Hospital in Denver that DS has been approved for the formal 4 hour evaluation. He failed the m-chat and is currently receiving services through EI for speech delay and developmental delay. DH and I are both going to the evaluation and ready to fully understand what is going on with DS and to get him whatever help he needs. The team we are going to see is going to evaluate him for ASD, ADHD, sensory processing, etc. I was told by the nurse at Children's that because they have deemed this evaluation necessary for DS, that they will be able to find the root of whats been going on and give us a diagnosis.

If you have been through this type of evaluation, when did you hear back about the diagnosis? I know we probably won't get one that day, but am hoping we don't have wait a few weeks or a month to hear back.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Official diagnosis from evaluation ?

• We participated in a 2 day study by Yale. After the 2nd day they met with us and gave us their opinion. The report itself took almost 2 months.

EI (called b23 in my state) had a 2 part evaluation and also gave me an opinion after the 2nd part.  

It may be because my kids were really obvious to them, not sure. I'd like to think they won't keep you waiting long.

Good luck at the eval <3<3 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We just went to Children's in Boston for DS Developmental Eval. The doctor told us that day it "sounds like Autism" based on what we were telling her but we still had to go back in for a follow up appt. 2 days later to get the official diagnosis.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Hi. We're in the north metro area. We had a speech eval through Children's, but did our full eval through a child psych in Parker. 

After the testing, I think it took around 2-3 weeks before they had us come back for the results (autism dx). 

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010
  • We had our inital evaluation completed at the Lurie Center for Autism here in the Boston area, which is affiliated with MGH... 1 1/2 -2 hours long, and the doctor was able to diagnose PDD-NOS on the spot. We got the official report with more specific details the following week.
    When sisters stand shoulder to shoulder, who stands a chance against us? ~Pam Brown
    Big Girl 2.7.06 ~ Baby Girl 9.2.07
    image7_0002
  • When we had our eval with the dev. ped. we left that day with an ASD dx., then we got an official report stating the dx several weeks later in the mail.
  • We had  very similar experience to the other ladies.  We went for a 3 hour eval.  They gave us a dx that day and we received a report a couple weeks later. 
    IAmPregnant Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers image Visit The Nest!
    ***Work it Mama***
    image Image and video hosting by TinyPic imageimage
  • Hi there. I don't have an answer to your question, but I'm in the Denver area and working through getting DS evaluated outside of the EI program right now. My only in-network option told me they had a 3 month waitlist and that Children's would be the same. Can you tell me how long it took to get your eval appointment at Children's? Right now I have an eval setup with a private practice. My pedi told me if it's anything beyond a speech delay she wants me to go to Children's for another opinion. So just curious what your experience was.
  • imageyale:
    Hi there. I don't have an answer to your question, but I'm in the Denver area and working through getting DS evaluated outside of the EI program right now. My only in-network option told me they had a 3 month waitlist and that Children's would be the same. Can you tell me how long it took to get your eval appointment at Children's? Right now I have an eval setup with a private practice. My pedi told me if it's anything beyond a speech delay she wants me to go to Children's for another opinion. So just curious what your experience was.

Its actually amazing how quickly we got in, because I was told the same thing. The number to their behavioral department is (720) 777-6630.

They sent me a packet via email that was a questionnaire about DS medical history, its about 6 or so pages. They also asked for me to fill out the m-chat and send it in. So along with their packet, I mailed all of the info I'd received from his EI evaluation.

Due to DS failing the m-chat and the paperwork I'd sent in. They decided DS was eligible for their intensive evaluation, which is 3 - 5 hours. Once they deem your child eligible, then the wait time is less. I got a call last week that they had an opening the first week of January. Its a miracle.

What services is he receiving through EI? If he is, then I believe you will have a higher chance of getting in to Childrens for an evaluation. The intake nurse was telling me that they get a lot of parents who speculate and bypass all other services and want to go straight to children's. So they have quite the process to filter through to the kids that truly do need the evaluation. The wait list is much longer if you haven't gone another route first such as EI. 

Go through ChildFind first. Which will direct you through your school district to get your son evaluated. It is a long process to start from beginning, but I promise its worth it. We started on this journey at the beginning of september, and have been through a lot. Its not easy buts it necessary. 

• imagemjsweetgirl:

imageyale:
    Hi there. I don't have an answer to your question, but I'm in the Denver area and working through getting DS evaluated outside of the EI program right now. My only in-network option told me they had a 3 month waitlist and that Children's would be the same. Can you tell me how long it took to get your eval appointment at Children's? Right now I have an eval setup with a private practice. My pedi told me if it's anything beyond a speech delay she wants me to go to Children's for another opinion. So just curious what your experience was.

Its actually amazing how quickly we got in, because I was told the same thing. The number to their behavioral department is (720) 777-6630.

They sent me a packet via email that was a questionnaire about DS medical history, its about 6 or so pages. They also asked for me to fill out the m-chat and send it in. So along with their packet, I mailed all of the info I'd received from his EI evaluation.

Due to DS failing the m-chat and the paperwork I'd sent in. They decided DS was eligible for their intensive evaluation, which is 3 - 5 hours. Once they deem your child eligible, then the wait time is less. I got a call last week that they had an opening the first week of January. Its a miracle.

What services is he receiving through EI? If he is, then I believe you will have a higher chance of getting in to Childrens for an evaluation. The intake nurse was telling me that they get a lot of parents who speculate and bypass all other services and want to go straight to children's. So they have quite the process to filter through to the kids that truly do need the evaluation. The wait list is much longer if you haven't gone another route first such as EI. 

Go through ChildFind first. Which will direct you through your school district to get your son evaluated. It is a long process to start from beginning, but I promise its worth it. We started on this journey at the beginning of september, and have been through a lot. Its not easy buts it necessary. 

Thanks for the info. That's all good to hear. We've been doing speech therapy once a week with a therapist assigned through ChildFind/Developmental Pathways since July. He's got an expressive language delay but is doing well in all other categories. The progress has been less than ideal. DS less than 10 words. My pediatrician recommended an outside evaluation. This is the first time I've been really disappointed with our insurance coverage. I basically had one choice when it came to an in-network provider for speech therapy, and if his diagnosis isn't just right he doesn't qualify for coverage anyway. So we're going to suck it up for the private evaluation. Our appointment is on Friday, but if we need to go to Children's I'm glad to hear the wait might be less than 3 months if he qualifies.

• imageyale:
    imagemjsweetgirl:

imageyale:

Thanks for the info. That's all good to hear. We've been doing speech therapy once a week with a therapist assigned through ChildFind/Developmental Pathways since July. He's got an expressive language delay but is doing well in all other categories. The progress has been less than ideal. DS less than 10 words. My pediatrician recommended an outside evaluation. This is the first time I've been really disappointed with our insurance coverage. I basically had one choice when it came to an in-network provider for speech therapy, and if his diagnosis isn't just right he doesn't qualify for coverage anyway. So we're going to suck it up for the private evaluation. Our appointment is on Friday, but if we need to go to Children's I'm glad to hear the wait might be less than 3 months if he qualifies.

I'm in the Denver Metro area too and have a referral into Children's Development Unit.  Based on my description on the phone intake and paperwork (I also included his IEP newly obtained IEP from preschool) they are recommending the 2 hour appointment with the Developmental Pedi instead of the full evaluation. They received my paperwork on Dec 3rd when I called a few weeks later to verify they said they are scheduling 3-4 months out for those appointments and I would receive a call to schedule. I'm still waiting on that call.  DS's pedi said she can also give me referral to a child psych if I wanted to go that route.  I haven't decided if I should take her up on it or just wait for the Children's appointment.

DS 09/2008

• imageyale:
    imagemjsweetgirl:

imageyale:

I'm in the Denver Metro area too and have a referral into Children's Development Unit.  Based on my description on the phone intake and paperwork (I also included his IEP newly obtained IEP from preschool) they are recommending the 2 hour appointment with the Developmental Pedi instead of the full evaluation. They received my paperwork on Dec 3rd when I called a few weeks later to verify they said they are scheduling 3-4 months out for those appointments and I would receive a call to schedule. I'm still waiting on that call.  DS's pedi said she can also give me referral to a child psych if I wanted to go that route.  I haven't decided if I should take her up on it or just wait for the Children's appointment.

DS 09/2008

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"