April 2012 Moms
Options

My cousin just found out she is 31 weeks pregnant and had no clue?!?

My cousin went to the doctor with some female issues early last year.  I don't know the details other than she was told she couldn't have kids and she needed a hysterectomy,  She put off the surgery and recently started to worry that she had a tumor.  Her symptoms were discomfort and bloating.

They went to do an ultrasound to make sure she didn't have a tumor and low and behold she is pregnant.  31 weeks.  Can you imagine?  She has less than 9 weeks to buy everything and figure out what she is going to do.  Thankfully she is still with her boyfriend who is the father.

I sit here at almost 25 weeks with a huge belly and lots of kicking going on in there and I wonder how she didn't know.  The sad part is that she is a bartender so I am pretty sure she has been drinking......I hope the baby is o.k.  I guess we won't have to wait long to find out :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: My cousin just found out she is 31 weeks pregnant and had no clue?!?

• Options
    How is this even possible!? Wow.
  • Options
    Holy. Crap. On. A. Stick.

imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Is she heavy set?  I've never fully understood how this happens, though I can a lot of women are in denial about what happens in their bodies.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DD #1 born 4/1/2012
    My Married Bio 

• Options

WOW!!  I can kind of understand how she wouldn't know... if you thought you were growing a tumor instead of a human, you'd expect some extra baggage in the front.  Plus, if you're like me, growing out of your clothes is an unfortunate lifestyle trend that I had pre-pregnancy (UGH). 

I know I feel kicks after breakfast and lunch, but I could imagine easily mistaking those for gas - they happen after meals after all and I'm certainly gassy enough that I have the goods to back up that theory!

That would be very bitter sweet news (wonderful that she can have children and that she's having a baby not a tumor - what a trade! But also stressful because I know I wouldn't be taking the mat leave that I'm taking now, I would lose sleep over how I was going to pay for everything all at once... furniture, stroller etc.. all the stuff DH and I have been saving for since we conceived).   I wish her the best!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I can't believe those things actually happen! I can't imagine anyone not knowing they were pregnant immediately! And now at 24 weeks I am gigantic, my whole body has changed, my boobs are swollen and +2 cup sizes, my hips ache, I am tired, get out of breath walking up the stairs and of course there is the matter of the baby that is kicking me ....

i hope all is well with her and the baby is healthy.

I am just flabbergasted somebody could be so pregnant and not know!!!

Does she just look the same?!

• Options
    WOW! Was she trying to get a spot on "I didn't know I was pregnant" ?!!! Hope her LO will be ok!
  • Options
    She has always been a little chunky but not obese by any means.  I haven't seen her since a wedding last April.  There was a family Christmas party last weekend when everyone found out.  She did not come.  I guess she just found out the day before and was feeling too overwhelmed right now.   I don't think it has sunk in yet.
  • Options
    This recently happened to my cousin.  She kept gaining weight and actually thought she was pregnant.  She took several hpt's and they were all negative.  She went to a planned parenthood type place and they gave her 2 pregnancy tests that came back negative.  She finally went to the hospital and an ultrasound found that she was 6 months along.  She did have bleeding the whole time too which could make you think you weren't pregnant.  She just delivered a very handsome, healthy little boy!
  • Options
    Wow! A friend of mine found out when she was 16 weeks but she kind of has a belly, had just adopted a baby from China so she should she had jet lag and was tired from chasing a new toddler, and her periods were always irregular. But 31 weeks - wow!

Lillian April 17, 2012
  • Options
    WOW.
  • Options

imageMsCat19:
    Holy. Crap. On. A. Stick.

THIS. 

• Options
    That is so insane! I can't believe it happens to real people. I can see confusing a lot of the symptoms for other things, but even with my anterior placenta, those kicks don't feel like gas at this point (almost 25 weeks). I mean, I can see my belly jumping around!! But I guess every pregnancy is different. I just can't imagine finding out you were pregnant and NINE WEEKS later having a baby. Holy cow.
  • Options

imageAshleyC0117:
    How is this even possible!? Wow.

This! I hope baby is ok. 

• Options

That's insane. It still amazes me that people cannot know they are pregnant. Good luck to her though.

• Options

Wow...31 weeks...crazy!  I had a miscarriage this past January at 14 weeks. I didn't know I was pregnant and this was after having three kids! I was having regular periods and really didn't notice any other changes. It was another boy and I don't really have many symptoms/changes with boys. (This girl pregnancy has been completely different.)

I was having strong cramps but they were timeable and I went to the hospital. They had me take a test and it came back positive, I got an ultrasound and confirmed I was indeed pregnant but there was no heartbeat. I gave birth to him about 20 minutes later. It was so surreal!

I hope your cousin's LO is healthy and I wish her the best of luck! :-)

• Options

This happened to my coworker last year who is A SCIENCE TEACHER! Imagine that! Apparently she never had regular cycles so didn't think anything of it when Aunt Flo didn't visit her for 6 months. She's also a bit older and thought that menopause was coming early for her.

Luckily, despite going 30 weeks without knowing she was pregnant (and therefore not taking prenatal vitamins, was probably drinking and didn't modify her diet to stay away from all those things we worry about eating now) the baby was healthy and beautiful. :)

Emerson Kate born 4/6/12, 5 lbs. 13 oz. 18 3/4 inches.

Happily expecting Baby Mac #2 around 4/13/14

• Options
    imageamber&tommy2010:
    imageubascrappin:

I sit here at almost 25 weeks with a huge belly and lots of kicking going on in there and I wonder how she didn't know.  

WOW these are my thoughts exactly.... Good luck to her though :)

I never believed this could happen before I got pregnant myself, but now I definitely can see how someone might not know.  I never had any morning sickness or food issues.  I'm only 22 weeks, but I barely have a bump (still look like I ate a bit too much last night) and haven't felt anything due to AP.  I'm still in my regular clothes (bought one pair of maternity jeans, but they won't stay up so I'm sticking with normal ones for now).  My only real symptom is humassive breasts.  Only one stranger has asked if I'm pregnant, and I was wearing a bikini then so it was a bit more obvious.  

Belly Dweller: EDD 04/22/2014
    Big Boy: Born 05/2012
  • Options
    Wow!  Glad it wasn't a tumor though, lots of good thoughts that baby is healthy!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic image image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

Also, to those wondering about kicks, if she was still drinking, even if it hasn't caused permanent damage, it could be causing the baby to not be as active. Since alcohol is a depressant ( a downer, not an upper) it makes sense that the baby wouldn't be jumping around.

I hope she and the baby are okay. I also hope that whatever it is that made her doctor think she needed a hysterectomy doesn't become worse and an emergency now that she IS pregnant. 

BabyFetus Ticker
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"