April 2012 Moms
Options

Job Interview Tips? Wisdom?

OK ladies, tomorrow is the big day and I'm really stressing! I have a job interview for a nursing clinical instructor position! I have dreamed of this since I was a student, I applied way back in the Spring, and they had a hiring freeze, and finally they are interviewing. I'm so nervous, of course since accepting the interview I have been taken off on modified bedrest, but I don't think this should be too much of an issue. They hire you to a "pool" of staff and each semester you let them know your interests (# of days/groups and clinical area, and they give you a contract if something is available that meet your interests) so I'm hoping to be hired to the pool and short of training not actually taking a contract until the fall at the earliest.

Anyways, I have my outfit all prepared (black pants & blazer, pink button up blouse, understated pearl earings no necklace, only weddding set on). I am very obviously pregnant, but again they do not offer any type of benefits so this shouldn't really be a deterent. I can't see them hiring for next semester as those spots would be filled by now.

I have reviewed their mission, vision and values. I am an alumni and graduate student of this program, so am familiar with it and have great respect for it. I prepared my portfolio with my cerifications, a copy of my resume etc.

Any other general interview tips? I haven't interviewed for a job in 6 years since I graduated nursing school! And nothing ever within a teaching role. Thanks so much (even some luck and crossed fingers would be welcomed!)

Of course becuase I'm a mama (you FTM will see!) DS is sick, has a fever has been attached to me all day, a brutal cough and we probably won't get too much sleep tonight! Such is life!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Job Interview Tips? Wisdom?

• Options
    Just wanted to say GOOD LUCK! It sounds like you're as prepared as you can be. Hope DS let's you get some sleep tonight. Let us know how it goes tomorrow!
  • Options
       Good luck! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    No tips, but good luck tomorrow and keep us posted!! :)
     BabyFetus Ticker 
                Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I work in HR, so my advice to you is to be ready to answer some behavioral type questions. Have a few examples ready to be able to answer questions such as 'tell me about a time you had a difficult coworker/boss... How did you deal with it' and 'tell me about a time where a project you were working on didn't go as planned. What did you do?' These types of questions are popular right now. Also, make sure you have a few questions ready about the job and company you are interviewing for. It shows that you have a true interest in the job. Also, good eye contact and confidence is important. I hope this helps, and good luck. Sorry your son is sick... I am too, which is the only reason I am awake right now!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicbr>Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    We are hiring for our department and I sat in on an interview a couple weeks ago.  The only question the guy flubbed was the "tell me your weaknesses" one.  You need to turn it around so that your weakness sounds like a strength.
  • Options

There's a fine balance of being friendly and personable and being too familiar. In the past I have tried to pretend like I'm meeting someone in a work setting but not for a job interview - that helps me keep the right amount of professionalism without freaking myself out to the point of nervousness.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imagejkfranklin:
    We are hiring for our department and I sat in on an interview a couple weeks ago.  The only question the guy flubbed was the "tell me your weaknesses" one.  You need to turn it around so that your weakness sounds like a strength.

Any easy way to do this is to talk up your greatest strength, which will always have a weakness in it when taken too far.

For instance:  If you say you're a perfectionist (which I don't recommend becuase I think people hear that all the time - perhaps it's better to say that you have a keen attentenion to detail which is similar but sounds less like you're lying), you might turn it around and say "well my greatest strength is my attention to detail, but that can also sometimes cause me to lose sight of the big picture.  I've learned to combat this by making a plan in writing with the end goal clearly stated so when I review it, I'm alsways reminded of how each step relates back to this goal."

Or if your biggest strength is organization you might say something like "I'm a very organized person, but that means it's sometimes difficult for me to deal with disorganized people or that I do not want to move quickly on something until it's organized.  I've learned that if I plan ahead I can move quickly and stay organized."

The point is, they've asked you about a weakness, you've admitted to one, but you've also reminded them about your strengths and you've told them how you are proactive about dealing with your weaknesses.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"