Special Needs

Holiday gifts for therapists?

There was just a big thread on PC&E about teacher gifts being considered inappropriate bribes. But I did contribute to the pool for a class gift to the teachers. So...do I give something to his public school therapists? I suck at crafts and baking. I show love through Starbucks gift cards. Thanks!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Holiday gifts for therapists?

• I'm a therapist, and we're really not supposed to take gifts.  Some families do give though.  I really enjoy the personal gifts like thank you notes, pictures of the kids, something they made.  Hand sanitizer is great this time of year ;)
  • My mom makes pretty bead bracelets, and I gave one to each of DD1's teachers and therapists, with a detailed thank-you note for each of them. 

It wasn't a whole lot, but they all seemed to really appreciate it. :) 

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010
  • Loading the player...
  • I base it on my relationship with the therapist.  The therapist that I run into around town and we've had drinks with her and her husband, I baked for and bought her a pretty decent gift card.  The one that I only see professionally I had DS make a card for and gave a small Target gift card.  None of my therapists have ever told me they couldn't accept gifts, but maybe if I bought something really expensive they would have to decline. 
  • This is my first year buying gifts for therapists and I got all 3 gift cards to Starbucks....
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I haven't bought anything for our therapists, last year or this year.

Last year we only had one therapy session 1x/months, combined PT/OT.  Also, I had knee surgery in december so we took the month off.

This year he only sees OT and ST 1x/month and we saw them this week so I feel weird giving a gift that early.  Also, we've only had 3 sessions with the SLP and our OT we don't even see every month.

I would be giving a gift to our PT.  She has gone above and beyond for us this past few months with getting us AFO's, and a gait trainer and knee immobilizers.  However, she went out on medical leave the week before thanksgiving and won't be back till Jan 17.  I found her address in our phone book, but I thought that might be creepy/stalkerish if I mailed her a thank you from DS.

To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew
  • I like to give gifts to therapists for 2 reasons. 1. I like to give them a little "thank you" for helping my son to reach his full potential. 2. but on the other hand, I don't want to look cheap if they are getting gifts from others and I do not want to look like what they do for DS2 is not appreciated because it is.

I don't spend a whole lot though because it just is not in my budget. I got each therapist a couple of Christmas ornaments.

• i've always given my son's therapists gifts for christmas.  i give something to all his teachers and all the aides and the bus drivers as well.  this year there were WAY too many people to give to so the gifts had to be smaller (i.e. $10 ish for everyone except his teachers who got more)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP 3/9/12 Natural M/C 4/11/12

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm planning on doing a little basket with hand sanitizer, soap & lotion from bath & body works with a Thank you card for his 3 main providers (PT, OT, ST) & for his play group teachers I'll just do some nice sanitizer because they're not that involved in his care. I didn't even think about them not being allowed to accept a gift...as a nurse I don't think I could accept cash but got gifts all the time, so I'd assume it would be the same for therapists? I try to do something small for the providers we see weekly at every major holiday, because I know they really appreciate it. Heck, they see my son more than a lot of our family! I just think its a nice gesture to let them know I appreciate them going to bat for my kid whenever necessary. Our providers have definitely gone above & beyond for us though, so I do feel especially grateful for them! I always really appreciated any expression of gratitude from patients, it's nice to know that your efforts are appreciated.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DS has so many ppl on his "team", we opted to do an edible arrangement for everyone on his team at school and we're going to do gift cards for the at-home providers as well as for his transportation ppl (2 in the AM and 2 in the PM).  I'd love to make them something but with a 8am to 6pm work schedule (which translates into 7-7 if you include commute), I choose to spend what little time I have at home with DS. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"