Nurseries and Baby Gear

Vaseline, Aquaphor, Desitin, Butt Paste, A&D, etc...

What diaper changing products do you use the most? What have been a waste?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Vaseline, Aquaphor, Desitin, Butt Paste, A&D, etc...

• Vaseline for the rectal thermometer

A&D in case of diaper rash, but none to speak of yet. I've seen an occasional pink spot, but I coat it with A&D and it's gone before it forms an actual rash.

Aquaphor for eczema

We got a metric-schit-ton of Butt Paste at our baby shower. Apparently everyone found the name to be hilarous and just had to buy it. I haven't used any of it. I have one of the gigantic tubs, a huge tube and a smaller (although still large) tube.

• We use A and D every night with his overnight diaper.  I assumed we'd need desitin so I stocked up and have only needed it a couple of times.  

A and D also comes in handy for drool rashes.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • desitin max strength worked best for diaper rash, never used vaseline really, but DD's allergist did recommend it to put over sever eczema.  I used Aquaphor a ton when DD had bad ezcema all over her face but it never did any good.  Turned out she had food allergies.  So once those were eliminated her face got much better.

DD's Food Allergies: Peanuts and Rice, Outgrown Dairy!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

8/09 Dx PCOS & Hashimoto's
    BFP #2 12/13/11. Missed M/C at 11w5d, measured 8w6d. D&C 2/1/12
    Never in my arms, but always in my heart.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• We love Grovia magic stick for quick diaper changes in the car, at the mall, etc.  For at home we have tried & love: grandma el's, cj's butter, & earth mama angel baby bottom balm. Personally I dislike desitin & butt paste, but we use cloth diapers so we've never had a bad rash so I'm sure those have their place.
  • A&D - used mostly for DS's penis after his circ to help with the healing.

Desitin/Butt Paste - use for bad diaper rashes (prefer the Butt Paste)

Baby Powder (cornstarch only) - use at night when putting on his last diaper to help keep his skin dry & sometimes use for diaper rashes instead of cream to help keep moisture away

ETA:  When I use the powder, I sprinkle it in my hand & then apply to him so there's no "cloud" of powder

Dylan Gabriel 04/29/10 Aiden Drake 04/28/12
  • I found that Aquaphor worked the best for DD, so that's all we use.
  • The Desitin Original (in the purple tube), works the best for us. DS never had a bad rash or was rash-prone, but when he gets a little red, that stuff clears it up fast! Also Aquaphor is wonderful for eczema/dry skin.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Vaseline - used to keep DS's circumcision from sticking to his diaper, haven't used since

KY Jelly - for rectal thermometer

Aquaphor - DS inherited my very sensitive skin, so we only use Cetaphil or Aquaphor.  I prefer Cetaphil because it's easier to spread on him, but Aquaphor does work too.  (FYI Walmart sells a generic brand of both Cetaphil & Aquaphor that both work just as well as the name brands if you're looking to save $.)

Desitin - We used disposable diapers on DS and blue Desitin was the only thing that worked on his diaper rash.  That being said, there's something kind of scary, chemically about that stuff so if I could find something that worked better I would have used it. 

Hydrocortizone - A thin layer coverd with Cetaphil worked awesome for bad eczema.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image imageimageimage

• My pedi recommends balmex on DS at every diaper change to prevent diaper rash 
  • Triple paste is the only diaper rash formula that works for us. All of the rest are a waste IMO.

I use california baby calenda cream for his face and body and it is also great. 

• Aquaphor is the best for a rash - since it heals the skin, not just "protects" it.  We keep in on hand ALL THE TIME.  It took us forever to figure that out.

Butt paste was a big waste.  Destin is better because it has more of the active ingredient.  A+D we have, but I wouldn't say it's the best.  

Vaseline is great for a rectal temp. 

• I've tried all the ones you listed and Aquaphor Baby is the best for us by far.  I don't use anything else now.  We use it all over as a "lotion" too.  It's great for dry skin and baby eczema.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

med-free birth x2, breastfeeding, baby wearing SAHM
    My BFP Chart

• We used A+D with every diaper liberally for one year. We have never had a diaper rash. It was recommended to use aquaphor for her eczema but we never really used it. We bought the A and D by the jar from BBB for around 8 bucks and it would last a few mos.
  • I like Triple Paste.  I haven't used any other others.
    TTC with DOR, low morphology, fertilization issues
    IVF#1 Oct 2009 (CCRM) - BFN
    IVF#2 March 2010 - Poor response/cancelled
    DE IVF#1 Aug 2010 - BFN
    DE IVF#2 Dec 2010 - Transferred 1, 2 frozen - BFP!
    TTC#2 FET Jan 2013 - Transferred 1 - BFP!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Vaseline and baby powder. We cloth diaper so most diaper rash creams aren't safe for the diapers. If DS gets minor redness I use baby powder. If he gets an actual diaper rash or mild eczema I use Vaseline. When his eczema is bad I use prescription cream.

I was give other kinds of stuff for diaper rash even before we started cloth diapers and I was sent tons of samples but the only one that was ok was Desitin creamy. IMO pretty much everything else was too messy to put on. I just used Vaseline because it was easy to apply, had multiple uses, and was cheap. I also like powder because of how easy it is to apply.

• Vaseline for the thermometer.

1:1 ratio Aquaphor & purple Desitin mixed together & put in the refrigerator for rashes. I won't use anything else.

A&D is great for teething rashes

I keep a small jar of Dr. Smith's diaper cream in the diaper clutch. 

• We'll be using Bag Balm.  It comes in a square green tin and some stores keep it behind the pharmacy counter although I have no idea why.  It's fairly cheap, about $6 a tin, lasts a long time, wipes off easily, and doesn't have a horrible smell like some creams do.

• Triple Paste has been our savior!
  • I like triple paste for diaper rash and aquaphor for chin/neck rash. I disliked Boudreaux's Butt Paste. And I haven't used anything else.
    ~Chelsea~
    image"">imageimage
  • We have a little boy so we used Vaseline every day a few times a day. For diaper rash cream we went with Aveeno but honestly haven't really needed it. LO uses Seventh Generation diapers so less chemicals and we never let him sit in a wet diaper for long.
  • a&d is wonderful for newborns- great for scratches from their fingernails and to protect the bottom from frequent BM.

for older babies, I like aveeno and the green butt paste (the all natural one).

I personally hate desitin and can't stand the smell, i don't think it works that well either in my experience.

for this baby i'm planning on CD'ing so i will have to figure out a solution if we need one.

Other needed items-

vaseline - good for dry skin or if you have a boy and getting him circd.

rubbing alcohol- you don't really need it for the cord, but good to use if it starts looking goopy.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"