June 2011 Moms
Options

My IBCLC on solids readiness

I went to a "Nurse n' Chat" playgroup yesterday run by the IBCLC that I saw a few times.  I was asking her about solids b/c Evie doesn't really seem to get it yet (we are doing BLW).  Here are some things she said are readiness signs:

-loss of tongue thrust

-totally independant sitting

-interest/enjoyment of food--I said Evie makes a face whenever she does manage to get some food in her mouth and she said when babies are truly ready they look at you like, "Where have you been hiding this banana all my life, mom?!?"

-a tooth--sort of--just having a tooth doesn't mean they are ready, but if they don't have a tooth it could mean they aren't ready,  This obviously doesn't apply to babies who don't get teeth until 13 months

Anyway, it is just one person's take, but I know she does a lot of research and she has given me a lot of great advice in the past.  I just thought some of you might be interested!   

I'm going to keep offering Evie food once or twice a day, but I am going to be even more relaxed about it since she doesn't seem into it yet.

Re: My IBCLC on solids readiness

• Options
    Those are very typical "readiness" signs that you'll find on most websites, books, etc.
    ~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image"">imageimage
  • Options

Well, I've read various things about sitting up (supported or not) and I had never heard that making faces/not liking the taste was one--I thought she just needed to get used to the flavors.

I thought I had read a lot about it but maybe I haven't researched as much as I thought.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for posting! I'd say I agree with those :)
    photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I'm sort of glad to hear that she's not really into solids because either is Macy, and they're the same age.  We aren't doing BLW, but she could take it or leave it as far as solids go.  Yesterday, she wouldn't even open her mouth for me either time I offered.  She has teeth and can sit unsupported, but she definitely hasn't made the face that shows she really likes something.  Thanks for posting!  I just need to remember that she has her whole life to eat solids!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Interesting. I hadn't heard the one about teeth. Ry has shown no teething signs and she just started sitting completely unassisted about a week ago. We are waiting for 6 months (in 11 days :() for solids but it's always interesting seeing what others find.
    BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for posting! K seems to have those signs (but the tooth). We are off to her six-month appointment today to talk to her pedi about it, and we'll probably introduce her first pur?e this weekend.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

We're doing BLW too- just started. LO doesn't have teeth yet, but all the other signs are there and have been for awhile, which is why we started a little early.

I think her reactions are so much fun to watch! Getting potato to her mouth seemed to disappoint her, but I think she would have spent hours trying to eat banana. She was into chicken, too, and got such a proud look on her face every time it went to her mouth.

I doubt she's eaten anything yet (it's only been 2 days),  but we're having a good time.

Thanks for posting! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"