Indiana Babies

Not Finding Out the Sex

Husband and I have decided not to find out the sex of our impending arrival.  This is our first child and we have names picked out already. 

Getting mixed reactions from people and it's hard to find gender neutral things for little one.  

Anyone else decide not to find out? Did you regret not finding out before they were born?

Re: Not Finding Out the Sex

• we didn't find out with either pregnancy.  and we LOVED it.  hearing the dr announce it's a girl at both deliveries are two of my all time favorite memories.  it took my breath away both times. 

i'll admit there are times when it kinda stunk not knowing.  i would have loved to have a nursery all put together and planned out.  or a wardrobe hanging in the closet when we brought baby home.  i thought maybe we'd find out for our next pregnancy (in the future....) but dh says no way, he still wants to be surprised.

from my experience, i wouldn't worry too much about buying gender neutral clothes.  i remember thinking i needed a whole bunch of gender neutral sleepers and onesies for the baby.  but once the baby arrived, people showed up to the hospital with clothes and i suddenly hated all the gender neutral stuff.  i wanted my girls in pink, not yellow.  and i'm sure if i had had a boy, i would have wanted him in blue.

one more thing we did that i thought worked out well......i had one main shower when i was expecting for all my friends and some really close relatives.  at that shower i got mainly baby supplies.  think bottles, bouncer, towels, etc.  and then when LO was about 1-2 months my aunt threw a shower for us and some distant family.  at that shower, everyone brought clothes (i didn't really plan it that way, that's just how it worked out).  i loved doing it that way.  and i was glad i didn't have a wardrobe hanging in the closet after all, b/c neither of my girls have worn the size that matches their age. 

sorry this got a little out of hand, and so long.  i just wanted to share my experience and throw some ideas out there!  good luck with your pregnancy!

• We're not finding out either.  My husband just wanted the surprise, and I didn't really care one way or the other.  I couldn't justify buying all pink things or all blue things that we couldn't use for subsequent children of a different sex.  

For your friends/family who say it's hard to find gender neutral things, it might help once you decide on a nursery color scheme / theme.  Once people found out that we were going with an aqua and brown owl-themed nursery, the owl stuff started pouring in!  

While it was definitely tempting to find out (especially at that 20-week ultrasound), I think I'd do it again. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • We didn't find out with our first, nor did we find out with this one. Of course we caught a lot of flack, but I wouldn't do it any other way. It's such a thrill to find out when you deliver what the baby is. There are not too many surprises in life, so why not?!

I'm having a repeat c-section in two weeks and while the not knowing has been easier this time around, we're both still beyond excited to find out!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We didn't find out either and it was amazing.  At first people were caught a little off guard, but they get over it.  I was 9 days late so not know made it rough.  It was so exciting having my husband announce girl to our parents.  I will do it again in a heart beat.  After Claire was born we got a ton of girl clothes.  I haven't even got to go shopping to buy girls things because we have so many. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"