April 2012 Moms
Options

Possibly silly thing that bothers me

Ever since I've had Hazel I've been bothered by the phrase "ask your pediatrician" when it comes to things like food. I never consulted my pediatrician about starting her on solids, I just did it when I thought she was ready. Same went for milk, eggs, nut products and other allergens. I think it is silly to ask someone who sees your child every 2-3 months about things like that. I know my child better than she does. I don't know why this bothers me so much.
i wish i could be joking but my dad is the music teacher at a church so he owuld be mad. we had sex, all the time how bad i know but we dont want to wait and he said GREAT OH KAY! and I was really feeling the wets? down there- too embarsed to say- but he acted like man.

Re: Possibly silly thing that bothers me

• Options
    I always add that to my posts because we didn't follow allergen guidelines and I don't want anyone coming after me if their kid has an issue :P But in general food introduction guidelines have come from AAP so it makes sense to check with a pedi what the current recommendations are if someone isn't sure, especially if there's family history of allergies.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options

It bothers me too. Some things really aren't your pediatricians deal. 

If you are concerned about a possible allergic reaction, sure talk to the pediatrician and get referred to a pediatric allergist. But just if you should start feeding it to them? No. 

Also, sleeping, discipline, routine behavior issues aren't pediatrician issues. If you have major concerns about those things that you think could be a problem, sure. Like if you think they aren't sleeping because of a medical issue. Or you think that there has been a significant change in their behavior that could indicate a developmental problem. Those are pediatrician problems. Not routine issues, IMO.

We've never been to the pediatrician for anything other than well baby exams and vaccinations. Colds don't warrant a pediatrician visit (unless LO is under 2 months or it has lasted a long time). Questions about food or drink don't warrant visits. Questions about sippy cups and pacis don't warrant visits. Questions on switching to a toddler bed don't warrant visits. 

BabyFetus Ticker
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Eh, DS has awful reflux and allergies so we DO/did have to consult our pedi for random stuff like solids, milk, eggs, nuts, other allergens, questionable rashes. I don't personally find it "silly", but to each their own. You might know your child better, but they ARE looking out for your child's general and overall well-being, food being a large part. I don't really see a difference between them discussing what regular food you're feeding and the bajillion breastmilk/formula questions they ask when they're little. I guess I'm just a weirdo though!
    photo newsig2_zps17ef14af.jpg
  • Options

imageWildcatPrincess:
    I always add that to my posts because we didn't follow allergen guidelines and I don't want anyone coming after me if their kid has an issue :P But in general food introduction guidelines have come from AAP so it makes sense to check with a pedi what the current recommendations are if someone isn't sure, especially if there's family history of allergies.

We didn't follow allergen guidelines either. The only thing we waited the full year on was honey because of botulism. I read somewhere they don't recommend cucumbers until 18 months and she loves them and ate them at ten month. I think sometimes people rely too much on the pediatrician and don't use their own instincts.

i wish i could be joking but my dad is the music teacher at a church so he owuld be mad. we had sex, all the time how bad i know but we dont want to wait and he said GREAT OH KAY! and I was really feeling the wets? down there- too embarsed to say- but he acted like man.
  • Options

Because of the line of work I'm in, I have little faith in the knowledge of MDs anyway.  I mean, this can even be extended to nutrition education for grown ups.  Docs know very little besides, "you need to lose weight".  Barf.

Dr Google + advice of friends = how we roll

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers image
  • Options

imagebiblionerd:
    Eh, DS has awful reflux and allergies so we DO/did have to consult our pedi for random stuff like solids, milk, eggs, nuts, other allergens, questionable rashes. I don't personally find it "silly", but to each their own. You might know your child better, but they ARE looking out for your child's general and overall well-being, food being a large part. I don't really see a difference between them discussing what regular food you're feeding and the bajillion breastmilk/formula questions they ask when they're little. I guess I'm just a weirdo though!

There are some situations where it is warrented, but not everyone has those situations. We started Hazel on solids at 5 months and everything I read said to ask your pediatrician before starting them, but don't I know my baby better than he/she does?

• Options

imagebiblionerd:

See, this is different though. You had a medically legitimate reason to refer to your pediatrician when introducing foods. There were real medical concerns that you needed to be sure of to keep your son healthy and happy. 

But for the average baby without known allergies or reflux, you don't have to make a special appointment because you want to start feeding the baby cereals or peas or green beans. Sure, at a routine check up you can ask casually, "Do you think they're ready to start trying solids?" But people make special appointments to talk about feeding and such. 

BabyFetus Ticker
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    It's never advice I've given because I've never asked mine, nor have I followed any of the "guidelines", so I guess I'm not the person to ask, lol.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic image image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"