April 2012 Moms
Options

breastfeeding & weightloss

Re: breastfeeding & weightloss

• Options
    I had heard that too- something about expending extra calories in your milk. Would be nice if it's true.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    imageimage
  • Options
    Yes, it uses up extra calories. Definitely a nice added bonus!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    There seem to be 2 kinds of people - those who lose weight while BFing and those who lose it when their child weans. All my weight loss efforts would cause a supply drop, so I worked hard to calorie count and go slow, then stalled at 10 lbs left to lose. The week after DD weaned I dropped 5 lbs, but never got back to pre-pregnancy weight as I was already KU again. One of my friends is a stick and she said she hardly lost any of the 60 lbs she gained until her son was done nursing and then it all fell off. But others drop it super fast while nursing!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I BF my first and didn't notice any weight loss from doing so, but I've heard others that say they have. 
  • Options

Don't get your hopes up. 

Yes, it CAN help CONTRIBUTE to losing the baby weight. It is NOT, however, the be all end all in postpartum weight loss. 

You still will need to eat well and exercise as much as you're able. Especially if you put on more than 25-30 pounds and it's not from water retention. It also isn't immediate. You may notice a small increase in weight a few months in, THEN it will start to come off.

BabyFetus Ticker
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    If this is true I pray that I can breastfeed. Not only for the health of my baby but for me too. I worry so much about being a fatty after giving birth. I lost about 15 lbs  prior to getting pregnant and it's hard to see it creep back on.
  • Options
    I think BFing really aided in my weight loss with DS.  I'm a Weight Watchers member and I couldn't believe how many points I was able to eat and still lose weight every week.
  • Options
    It probably depends on how much milk you produce too. I've hear bf'ing can burn 500 calories a day. But I'm sure that varies if you are a crazy milk producer or if you have problems with production.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    For some it does. Others (like myself) don't. I didn't get to see if it fell off when i weaned, I was already knocked up.

DS1 9.24.2010      DS2 4.18.2012        DS3 12.15.2013

Lilypie - (fyXz)

Lilypie - (28Zf)

• Options
    My vote is yes. I nursed my daughter until she was one and a half. I didn't lose much weight the first five/six months after her birth and then all of a sudden it just seemed to be gone. I gained about 50 lbs that pregnancy.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagePatella1129:
    I think BFing really aided in my weight loss with DS.  I'm a Weight Watchers member and I couldn't believe how many points I was able to eat and still lose weight every week.

That was my problem, once I started food logging I found I needed to eat close to 3000 calories the days I ran, I wasn't eating near enough. Once I started beefing up my intake I started losing, but it was still slow.

• Options
    The only concern I have with breastfeeding is going back to work. I will get 6-8 weeks maternity leave and I honestly don't know where or when I will get to pump. I work in a dental office and I don't know anywhere I can do this in private.
  • Options
    I lost all my baby weight within three months and I BF'ed... I really don't remember how much I had gained during my pregnancy, but it was a decent amount!

imageimage

• Options
    I, too, still needed Weight Watchers while I was breastfeeding...but the amount of food you could eat while still losing weight rocked!
  • Options

I completely attribute my weight loss to breastfeeding since I didn't start working out until 11 months and I never did any kind of diet.  I gained 35 lbs. while pregnant and I lost 40.  It was really gradual though, and it took quite a while to lose the last 10.  I didn't exercise and I ate whatever I wanted, so I'm sure that's why it took longer.  I didn't really have the time or motivation and I didn't want to hurt my supply with dieting or too much exercise.  I think all the baby weight was gone and I was back in pre-preg jeans around 5-6 months.  I lost the extra 5 lbs. after I started working out at 11 months.  I BF for about 13 months.

I've seen some people say that BF didn't help them with weight loss but they also only BF for 6 weeks or they did a mix of BF and formula.  Losing weight from BF is a gradual thing, so you need to do it for quite a while for it to make a difference.  Some people also lose at first but then their body holds on to the last 5 lbs. or so until they quit BF.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

med-free birth x2, breastfeeding, baby wearing SAHM
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My BFP Chart

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageKupuggie:
    I BF my first and didn't notice any weight loss from doing so, but I've heard others that say they have. 

Same here.  I actually gained weight after my son was born.

• Options
    I think it totally made a difference. By two weeks after having DD, I had lost all the baby weight plus an additional 10 pounds without any diet or exercise!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I would say don't get your hopes up either!

I gained 50lbs with my first pregnancy and lost 30lbs within the first 2 weeks postpartum.  I tried everything to lose the last 20lbs I was doing crossfit and eating very healthy and I never got the last 20lbs off... but I was still breastfeeding when I got pregnant and just weaned my DD a couple weeks ago and she is a year and a half.

so I was the one of the lucky ones who actually held onto weight while breastfeeding. 

• Options

imageBrowneyedhunni85:
    The only concern I have with breastfeeding is going back to work. I will get 6-8 weeks maternity leave and I honestly don't know where or when I will get to pump. I work in a dental office and I don't know anywhere I can do this in private.

I'm pretty sure that legally, your employer has to provide you with time and a location other than a bathroom for you to pump for the first year of your baby's life. 

• Options

I think so. I swear I ate more when I was BFing then when I was pregnant, yet I lost all of the baby weight by 4 months PP and then 10 more pounds (that I didn't even know I needed to lose, lol) by about 10 months PP.

ETA: I also didn't exercise execpt for walking.

• Options
    You do burn extra calories from BFing, but for me, I was also so hungry that I never was in a caloric deficit. I didn't see major weight loss until I stopped BFing.

• Options

Like anything that burns calories, it depends. Producing milk to feed your baby does use calories, (I've heard 300-600/day) but if you eat back all those calories you won't lose.

You may have a huge appetite and find it easy to stay in caloric balance, even when factoring in the breastfeeding calories.

It's like marathon training, sure it burns calories but it doesn't mean you'll lose weight. It depends on the person. I never lost weight from marathon training, I was ravenous all the time and I think I gained a couple pounds. I don't expect the weight to just drop off from breastfeeding either - I don't do well with being hungry, I like eating.

My hope is that I'll only gain 30lbs with the pregnancy (not sure how feasible that is as I still have a ways to go), then I'll only have a few pounds, 10 maybe, to drop afterwards.. and I don't really care if it takes a few months. I just don't want to deliver the baby, then be sitting there with 30lbs to lose because I gained 50.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"