April 2012 Moms
Options

Is it ok to send a Merry Christmas card to someone who doesn't celebrate Christmas?

I got photo cards with my DS's pics, they just say, wishing you a joyus Christmas and a wonderful new year. I just got a "holiday" card from a friend who is jewish. I feel like an idiot sending my card back to her. Should I run out and get a holiday card to send back?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

DS - 7.2006 - C-Section b/c Breech
DS2 - 4.2008 - Successful Vbac
DD - 5.2012 - Successful Vbac

Re: Is it ok to send a Merry Christmas card to someone who doesn't celebrate Christmas?

• Options
    If I know my friend well enough to know they don't celebrate Christmas, I wouldn't send them a "Christmas" card. I would go with a card with what they celebrate or no card if the time of year does not have signifigance to them. You can still stick a picture in her card if you want to though.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Personally, I wouldn't. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Since they're photo cards, I'd just send it and write "Happy Hanukkah!" on the back/inside.

• Options
    I usually buy happy holiday cards for this reason but when we sent photo cards one year it said Merry Christmas. 

Lillian April 17, 2012
  • Options
    I would send a holiday card, which would cover anything!
    Oct1201212 Twins born at 34w2d, Allison, 3lb,4oz-Ethan, 4lb7oz, both 16 1/2 inches. Out of Difficulties Grow Miracles BestBuddiesBoy AprilPosseMultiLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

My DH is Jewish and he routinely receives Christmas cards - he is never offended.  Normally he likes seeing the pictures.

The only people who send us Holiday or Hanukkah cards are usually Jewish friends.  You can just write Happy Holidays or Happy Hanukkah on the card.  Our cars say Marry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah.

• Options

No, don't send a Merry Christmas card to someone who doesn't celebrate Christmas.

mm 2/17/11 * dd born 4/20/12 * bo 1/3/14 * edd 1/211/15 

• Options

Flameful? I think hardcore athiests are more likely to be offended by this than other religious people. I also think Christians are more likely to be offended by a Happy Holidays card than Jewish people are by a Merry Christmas card.

eta: unless we're talking about mamamonster from 2nd tri yesterday. lol

• Options
    My DH WHOLE family is Jewish, my family celebrates Christmas in the past I sent out Happy Everything cards wishing everyone a joyous New Year and blessings...this year I am sending out half Christmas and half Hanukkah cards...we even had our daughter get two different outfit pictures one in a Christmas dress and another in blue white striped dress.. I know his family appreciates that I take the time to do this, I mean my daughter is half Jewish. I think if you know then you should send the correct card. Also, Hanukkah cards are hard to find this year! At least for me, I can't find them anywhere heading to Hallmark later.

BabyFetus Ticker

imageimage
  • Options
    imageTambcat:

Flameful? I think hardcore athiests are more likely to be offended by this than other religious people. I also think Christians are more likely to be offended by a Happy Holidays card than Jewish people are by a Merry Christmas card.

eta: unless we're talking about mamamonster from 2nd tri yesterday. lol

LOVE YOU!! LOL!!

• Options
    imageTambcat:

Since they're photo cards, I'd just send it and write "Happy Hanukkah!" on the back/inside.

This is what I would do. I think it's important enough to think about for next year, but unless this friend is ultra-sensitive, I don't think it's worth running out for a new card right now (especially since you had photo cards made - I'm sure she'll want to see it). I don't celebrate Christmas, and I do appreciate holiday cards, but I don't think twice about a "Christmas" card unless it's really religious (which does bug me).

ETA: I do celebrate Christmas, just not as a religious holiday.
  • Options
    can you cut the picture out and either attach it to another card or put it as an insert?  If not I would send it anyway and just right a personalized message on the back.
  • Options
    Ditto tamb. Incidentally I am an atheist and not offended at all when I receive Christmas cards. Its what they believe, not what I believe, you know?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    DD #1 passed away in January 2011 at 14 days old due to congenital heart disease
    DD#2 lost in January 2012 at 23 weeks due to anhydramnios caused by a placental abruption
  • Options

I am Jewish and so is DH.  We receive many Christmas cards, and I am not at all offended.  I just got a card that says Merry Christmas from my own sister who celebrates Christmas in her house because her husband does.

From the opposite point of view, we sent out photo Hanukkah cards this year to everyone, including friends that celebrate Christmas.  If they are offended, they can throw it away.

imageimage
                                                                            A15 January Siggy Challenge- 

Workout/fitness fails 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

I'm late to the party, but figured I'd chime in since I'm Jewish and DH is Catholic.

With picture cards, I never mind receiving ones that say Merry Christmas. If the friend was thoughtful enough to write Happy Hannukah on it, I'd be really impressed. However, when I receive a regular Christmas card (not a photo card) directly to me from someone who knows I'm Jewish, I think it's really thoughtless and stupid.

We don't send cards out yet, but the plan will be to send out Happy Holidays or Happy New Years cards next year with the baby's picture.

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"