Breastfeeding
Options

Do pump parts HAVE to air dry?

I keep reading to let air dry but since I'm pumping at bed time and again in the middle of the night, I like to set everything up after the first pumping session so I don't have time to wait for air drying and I use either a paper towel or a clean cloth to dry.  Is this OK or am I supposed to let everything air dry only??

Re: Do pump parts HAVE to air dry?

• Options
    I use paper towels every day at work.  There really isn't a place for me to leave them to air dry.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

The reason you are supposed to let them air dry is to keep water from getting into the tubes when you pump. If you wash in water and only dry the outside, you aren't drying the small areas where air actually flows when you pump, and that water can get pulled into the tubing. This affects suction and increases the chance that stuff can grow in the tubing. So, it really is better to let it air dry.

Between pumps, can you store the parts in the fridge without rinsing? This is what I do during the day, and then wash once at night and let dry overnight. (I actually have 2 sets of parts in case I don't have time to wash but need to pump again, this way I'm not getting excess water in the tubes.)

#3 Due April 2016
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Also, you can let the pump run for a couple minutes after you remove the connectors to get the tubing dry!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageCurlingRocks:
    imageAmyRI:

The reason you are supposed to let them air dry is to keep water from getting into the tubes when you pump. If you wash in water and only dry the outside, you aren't drying the small areas where air actually flows when you pump, and that water can get pulled into the tubing. This affects suction and increases the chance that stuff can grow in the tubing. So, it really is better to let it air dry.

Between pumps, can you store the parts in the fridge without rinsing? This is what I do during the day, and then wash once at night and let dry overnight. (I actually have 2 sets of parts in case I don't have time to wash but need to pump again, this way I'm not getting excess water in the tubes.)

You can also take the tubing off and swing it in a circle over your head to expel the water droplets.

That sounds more fun

• Options
    Get a second set of pump parts or just put the parts in the fridge after rinsing them.  As long as you don't do a full wash, water should not get in the tubing (I used to do this at work).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"