Preemies

breastfeeding...how soon?

Hi ladies,  when or what qualifications did your LO have to acheive to begin trying to breastfeed? We are 2lbs 10 oz and 3lbs 14 oz both on highflow room air both sucking pacifier vigorusly, biggie is on 14ml breast milk every 3. My little guy  is 5 ml/6 ... I am sure he isnt ready but I am hoping biggie is ready soon! Thanks!

santasmall Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Pregnancy Ticker

Re: breastfeeding...how soon?

• Ask ask and then ask again - I wasnt as assertive as I probably should have been about attempting to BF in the NICU - there was always a reason why DD couldnt try and when we did try (when she was taking one full feed by bottle a day) we had major issues. I dont think the issues would have been avoided if we started eariler (we would have just failed earlier) but I know that other moms tried right away because they were very vocal about wanting to try. Our NICU was not very progressive, they wanted to know if the baby had trouble taking a nipple first and then they would let you try to BF - your NICU might be different
    image image imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imageadrielegorburu:
    Ask ask and then ask again - I wasnt as assertive as I probably should have been about attempting to BF in the NICU - there was always a reason why DD couldnt try and when we did try (when she was taking one full feed by bottle a day) we had major issues. I dont think the issues would have been avoided if we started eariler (we would have just failed earlier) but I know that other moms tried right away because they were very vocal about wanting to try. Our NICU was not very progressive, they wanted to know if the baby had trouble taking a nipple first and then they would let you try to BF - your NICU might be different

You always give such good advice! ^^^^

I was very clear from the beginning that the only part of my birth plan was BFing - they held off and continued IV while my milk came in - also they were under strict instruction not to put a bottle in DS mouth before we tried BF. That was on his notes (always make sure they write things down so all nurses and shift change get your instructions!). DS wound up being nipple confused anyway which is a story for another time - took four months to BF - but at least we tried this way first? ;)

• Loading the player...
  • imageadrielegorburu:
    Ask ask and then ask again - I wasnt as assertive as I probably should have been about attempting to BF in the NICU - there was always a reason why DD couldnt try and when we did try (when she was taking one full feed by bottle a day) we had major issues. I dont think the issues would have been avoided if we started eariler (we would have just failed earlier) but I know that other moms tried right away because they were very vocal about wanting to try. Our NICU was not very progressive, they wanted to know if the baby had trouble taking a nipple first and then they would let you try to BF - your NICU might be different

I asked today and was told he had to get better at the bottle before we could try nipple feeding.  Does this makes sense?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Sounds like you should be able to start at least non-nutritive feedings at least! Basically you pump first and then put baby to the breast and let them practice. Check out this video: https://www.breastfeeding.com/aaavideo/premie3.mov or any other clips you can find from the video "A Preemie Needs His Mother." They helped me know what to expect. Little by little they catch on. See if the hospitals LC can watch a session to give you pointers, teach you about your babies' cues, and consider whether something like a nipple shield might help! Enjoy!!
    BFP#1 9/14/10 (EDD 5/21/11); no fetal pole 6w6d, 7w4d, d&c 10/8
    BFP#2 3/16/11, beta 138; 4/12 Baby/HB DS born 9/10/11 at 29w4d due to partial abruption and PTL
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BFP#3 8/19/13 Another boy! 17P, modified bedrest and Nifedipine helped us have a termie! DS2 born 4/19/14 at 38w5d.
  • I agree with some others that if he's getting a bottle there's no reason he cant at least try breastfeeding, DS first practiced during our early kangroo sessions and then did sucking before and during gavage feedings, the thinking was if he got any, then that was just bonus calories for him, pretty soon there was still some BM left in his tummy when they checked for aspirate at the next feeding and they realized he must be doing real nursing
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Our NICU didn't really let us fully start to BF until LO was 34 weeks old, but they did ok nuzzling around 32 weeks (LO didn't really latch on until 33 or so weeks though).  I say there's nothing wrong with trying!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • ditto what the other ladies said ask and ask again.  If you do have a bad experience or trouble.  See if there is an LC who can come and help you.  My LC was awesome and I beleive is the only reason I was able to bf.  She just came into the NICU 1 time andmet withme and dh got DS nursing taught DH how to support me, taught tricks from premies and gave me advice on how to deal with the nurses.  I would highly recommend an LC.  Most wonderful $75 I ever spent.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"