April 2012 Moms
Options

Random thoughts for the day--birth plan WWYD?

So you all know my situation (if you don't my blog www.averyalis.blogspot.com explains everything).  I am planning on talking to my doctor about all of this, but I wanted your opinions too.

The time immediately following Avery's birth could be the only time that I get to have with her.  My favorite of the high risk doctors seems to think that a vaginal birth would be gentler than a c section and recommends that at this point.  What would you do if you were in my shoes. (I am not against medicine in any way and planned on an epidural up until this point.)  I clearly have not done a lot of research into either one yet and I am just interested to see what you all think.  TIA!

Option A: Get an epidural.

pros: it won't hurt that bad and I won't be as worn out

cons: I've heard it slows down the birthing process and I don't know if that would take minutes away from her life with us and my legs will be numb so I can't move right away.

Option B: Go natural

pros: this birth plan could possibly get her out faster

cons: it will hurt like hell and I could be too worn out to enjoy the short amount of time that I have with her to the fullest.

WWYD???

My angel Avery- 2/16/12, My rainbow Blake= 3/4/13, Joyfully awaiting #3 5/11/15

Re: Random thoughts for the day--birth plan WWYD?

• Options
    Epidural:  You won't be going anywhere for a while anyway (placenta delivery, clean up, overall recovery) so I don't see this as being a problem.   
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm afraid I don't have any useful advice. I just wanted to comment that the blanket you made for Avery is beautiful :)
    imageVisit The Nest!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    How about going in there with an open mind - plan on natural but be open to get an epidural depending on how you feel? I know your situation is very different and a very difficult one so if you are more comfortable having a set birth plan, that makes perfect sense.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

You know what your goal is: to spend as much time with Avery as possible.  If your doctor doesn't have that goal in mind when he recommends things to you, he might suggest something based on what he thinks your priority is - i.e. pain tolerance / recovery time etc. 

P.S. I only found out about yours and Avery's story the other day and I just wanted to let you know that I think your situation a lot and how strong of person you are.  Avery is lucky to have you as her mother - a lot of people wouldn't be able to handle things with the clarity and strength that you do. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imagemrs_j_may_08:
    I'm afraid I don't have any useful advice. I just wanted to comment that the blanket you made for Avery is beautiful :)

Thankyou!  I had an awesome time making it with my mom.  I have wanted soooooo badly to go out and buy baby things for the nursery, but I'm trying not to for obvious reasons.  It was nice to be able to nest a little :)

• Options
    imageDO-JO:

P.S. I only found out about yours and Avery's story the other day and I just wanted to let you know that I think your situation a lot and how strong of person you are.  Avery is lucky to have you as her mother - a lot of people wouldn't be able to handle things with the clarity and strength that you do. 

Thank you.  I never thought that I could get through something like this until I had no choice.  Even though you won't believe it now, I'm sure that you ladies would be just as strong in this situation.  It's one of those things that you can never fathom until you are there, but you keep on living day to day because you have no other choice.

• Options
    I suggest an epidural (personally and professionally). It doesn't slow down labour that much, mainly it can slow things down because you are immobile. If you have the epidural and allow them to induce/augment things with oxytocin that will counteract that. I think that by keeping yourself as comfortable as possible you can relax and have a peaceful labour, allowing you to rest and "enjoy" both your labour and time with Avery. I agree with PP that keeping an open mind in general is important as well. I'm keeping you and your family and sweet Avery in my thoughts and prayers.
  • Options
    Being you are a FTM and in a special situation, I would row with it and not be too set on anything. You might have a very fast labor and delivery, take as It comes and decide once your in the situation. Epi vs natural.

DS1 9.24.2010      DS2 4.18.2012        DS3 12.15.2013

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie - (fyXz)

Lilypie - (28Zf)

• Options

imageokate0213:
    Being you are a FTM and in a special situation, I would row with it and not be too set on anything. You might have a very fast labor and delivery, take as It comes and decide once your in the situation. Epi vs natural.

Exactly this -- plus, I think going in this way, you won't regret anything.  I can see PLANNING ON going natural and regretting not getting an epidural -- I can see PLANNING ON getting an epidural and regretting not going naturally.

So keep your options open, IMHO.

Hugs to you!! 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I would get it if I were you. I have delivered with an epi and without. I will have the epi again this time. My deliveries with vs. without are like night and day. With was so much more relaxed and enjoyable. When I didnt have one, I was so tired and hurting that I just wanted to be left alone by everyone.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options

I just read your story and I just wanted to say that you are one strong momma! I have already called my two prayer groups and put you and Miss Avery on the list. I have to tell you that I am such a believer in the power of prayer. My best friend went into labor with her daughter, Elyse, at 22 w 5 d. She had SO many people praying for her and was blessed to keep Miss Elyse in until 29 w 2 d which the doctors could not believe. They had been prepping her everyday of her stay for the fact that she likely would not take home her precious little girl. Then Miss Elyse surprised everyone with her strength. She some how, beyond all belief, only needed minimal oxygen and other breathing support when she was born. After her first week of life, she was off everything except for the feeding tube. And 5 weeks later she was released from the hospital. The doctors still to this day say she is a miracle baby. The only thing her parents can come up with for why they were so blessed and she was so strong was prayer. They had SO many people praying her them around the world and it made all of the difference. It sounds like you have a wonderful support system and are receiving many prayers as well. Hopefully Miss Avery will be another little prayer miracle baby.

As for the delivery plan, I say keep an open mind. I had thought about going natural with DD, but wasn't sure if I would have the tolerance for the pain. When contractions first started I tried to rest for awhile then when my brain wouldn't shut off I went and sat in our tub for awhile which not only helped with the contraction pain, but also my nerves. By the time I decided to maybe get out of the tub and go to the hospital, I was already 7 cm. I was blessed with a short labor (12 hours) and managable pain (until my water broke) which allowed me to have a med-free birth and to have plenty of energy when DD was born. It worked out very well for me and I feel like the memories of the time of her birth and immediately following are some of the clearest in my life because I was so alert and clear-minded from all the natural processes happening in my body. It was also nice to be able to feel her little movements during labor not only through the monitor but also for myself as I had for so long before. It helped immensly with my anxiety. However, I know that isn't a typical FTM experience so I say keep an open mind. If labor gets to be too long or painful, go with what will help you enjoy your precious time with your baby girl.

• Options
    Oh and if you'd rather have PLAN, I'd write out exactly what circumstances you'd want the epi in, or how you'll ask, or something like that -- do you want people to ask you if you want it, or do you want to ask for it?  That sort of thing.  I know there is a point where it's too late to get one.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageMrs.Teddy:
    I suggest an epidural (personally and professionally). It doesn't slow down labour that much, mainly it can slow things down because you are immobile. If you have the epidural and allow them to induce/augment things with oxytocin that will counteract that. I think that by keeping yourself as comfortable as possible you can relax and have a peaceful labour, allowing you to rest and "enjoy" both your labour and time with Avery. I agree with PP that keeping an open mind in general is important as well. I'm keeping you and your family and sweet Avery in my thoughts and prayers.

I agree with this. Also a medical professional here...I agree exactly.

• Options
    imagedanayandcory:

I just read your story and I just wanted to say that you are one strong momma! I have already called my two prayer groups and put you and Miss Avery on the list. I have to tell you that I am such a believer in the power of prayer. My best friend went into labor with her daughter, Elyse, at 22 w 5 d. She had SO many people praying for her and was blessed to keep Miss Elyse in until 29 w 2 d which the doctors could not believe. They had been prepping her everyday of her stay for the fact that she likely would not take home her precious little girl. Then Miss Elyse surprised everyone with her strength. She some how, beyond all belief, only needed minimal oxygen and other breathing support when she was born. After her first week of life, she was off everything except for the feeding tube. And 5 weeks later she was released from the hospital. The doctors still to this day say she is a miracle baby. The only thing her parents can come up with for why they were so blessed and she was so strong was prayer. They had SO many people praying her them around the world and it made all of the difference. It sounds like you have a wonderful support system and are receiving many prayers as well. Hopefully Miss Avery will be another little prayer miracle baby.

Thank you so much for the thoughts and prayers!

• Options

Honestly, with my non-epi birth (DD3) I wasn't worn out and it didn't hurt like hell. I actually had more energy after!   With DD1 and DD2, on the other hand, I was doing fine till I got the epi, then it would wear off (about every 2hrs) and during the waiting process for the next round of it to kick in, I was in massive pain. I ended up giving birth and pretty much sleeping for an hour-2hrs right after.  After having DD3 the only reason I slept was because they gave me benedryl (had an allergic reaction to something they gave me after she was born for "pain" that I wasn't even in).    

I'd deff go without the epi BUT talk to them about other pain options. There are LOTS out there!   GL sweetie!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic image image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Thank you all for your insight--I definitely want the most possible time with my little girl, so I am down for whatever will get me there.  It's always nice to hear other's rationale for the thoughts going through my head.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"