Military Families

Sad face

So..my FI is in the Army National Guard...he leaves for BCT on Jan. 3rd :( I am 9 wks prego and so far I've had a high risk pregnancy..by the time he graduates from BCT I will be 20-21 wks and idk if traveling would put stress on me...or if I'll have a job by then. If I don't see him @ his graduation I won't see him for 7 mos. and I won't be able to go to his graduation from AIT because I'll be 9 mos prego and due by then. To make matters worse, he plans on volunteering to deploy as soon as he's out and doesn't want to talk about marriage...We've been together 6 years and this will be our 2nd child together and call me crazy but I feel that if he's going to go and risk his life he owes it to me and our children to marry me. I don't want to be one of those women who gets screwed by the military when their men die in combat just because they weren't married. Right now I'm on bed rest from work and he's just had his drill pay each month, so we are staying with my parents and my sister and I can't stand any of them. We are trying to find me an apartment to rent so I can have my own place while he's gone, but I'm worried that we won't be able to find an APT manager that is willing to sign a lease with us before he starts getting paid. Sorry for the novel, but this is all catching up to me and I'm starting to get depressed! 
Together since 05/2006; BFP 10/2006; DS born on 05/21/2007 Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
Lilypie Maternity tickers
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Sad face

• 26 views and no replies? :( If anyone could give me any advice, it would be greatly appreciated...
    Together since 05/2006; BFP 10/2006; DS born on 05/21/2007 Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I really do not have any solid advice to give you other than to talk to him about the way you are feeling. With him leaving soon your communication is going to be minimal (I'm guessing). Military life is stressful without children and with children added to the mix it's even more difficult. My husband and I have been married 3 years and had our first baby in August. He has been deployed since March of this year and doesn't come back til Feb. On top of all of this, when he is in the states I live in OH and he lives in NC, so communication is key. It is not always easy and it doesn't always work, but if you don't talk to him about what you are feeling/what you want, it is just going to cause even more issues and extra stress you do not need. I'm sorry I don't have more advice, but I think you both need to be on the same page before he leaves and it will make you both feel better.
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree and I've tried to talk to him but he doesn't want to talk about it...it seems like after he started goin to drill and talkin to his sergeants he all of a sudden started thinkin twice about gettin married...one of his sergeants freaked him out about women who take military men for all their money and then cheat on them. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • That sounds really familiar. My DH's higher ups do the same thing. But the question you should ask him is, "I have been with you for 6 years when you have had nothing, so what is the difference now?" He needs to stop listening to everyone else and do what he thinks is right for his family. Yes many men do get cheated on, but he has to be secure in your relationship.. also something you should talk about.
  • As a military fianc? or gf you have no benefits or resources and that would be argument enough as the mother of his two children to get married IMO. Getting married isn't going to screw him out of his benefits having two kids and a legal obligation to pay child support would do that alone. (Not to be rude just honest). After 6 years I would be questioning if he didn't want to get married. You need benefits for your own health, if he gets orders you don't get any benefits for the move such travel, what if he gets orders overseas you can't move with him because you won't be eligible for a visa, etc. Anyways this is my 2 cents. Take it for what it is worth.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Not to be snarky but my only advice is to stop having children with someone who doesn't want to marry you. Since your concerned about getting screwed by the military... If he won't marry you before he leaves for deployment make sure that your children are the benefactors for all benefits and life insurance payouts.
  • People who "get screwed by the military" after the death of a loved one are actually being screwed by the loved one.  Even if he doesn't marry you, you and your children can receive his death insurance payments.  All he has to do is put your info on the paperwork.  Your children will be covered by his insurance as long as he enrolls them into the DEERS system.  If you are not married, you are not.  How are y'all paying for your OB care?  Do you have insurance now? 

I do agree with Chloe when she says after six years, he's probably not going to marry you.  He's sounds pretty immature if he's letting people he doesn't even really know talk him out of marrying a woman he's fathered two children with. 

• MH had a lot of people tell him the stories about women cheating, and after being married for almost a year, he still hears it and still worries about it. But that's not an excuse to not marry someone you've been with for 6 years and have 2 kids with. Like a PP said, his benefits can go to your kids if something happens to him, and if he's not comfortable with that, talk to his parents about what would happen if he were to get KIA. (If they are the beneficiaries) They may not be all about supporting you, but I'd hope they would be concerned about supporting your kids together if something happened. MH and I have been married almost a year and his mom is still his beneficiary. This will change when our baby is born though, and he is fine with this.

I agree with PP that you shouldn't keep having kids with him if he's not going to marry you, especially in that situation. I wouldn't even consider having kids with MH until after we got married.

• imageiluvmytxrgr:

People who "get screwed by the military" after the death of a loved one are actually being screwed by the loved one.  Even if he doesn't marry you, you and your children can receive his death insurance payments.  All he has to do is put your info on the paperwork.  Your children will be covered by his insurance as long as he enrolls them into the DEERS system.  If you are not married, you are not.  How are y'all paying for your OB care?  Do you have insurance now? 

I do agree with Chloe when she says after six years, he's probably not going to marry you.  He's sounds pretty immature if he's letting people he doesn't even really know talk him out of marrying a woman he's fathered two children with. 

This.  Re-read it because it is exactly right.

The military doesn't screw people.  Servicemembers make choices that may have bad repercussions on family should the worst (god forbid) happen to them. 

"Higher ups" sometimes can put their noses in places that they don't belong.  They are probably coming from a good place and have seen a lot bad things.  But I have a serious issue with any higher up making blanket statements to vulnerable and doe eyed new recruits.  It isn't fair to anyone.  My husband (who I guess is a "higher up") does not give marital advice.  As a mental health counselor myself, we have had a lot of debates about this over the years.  MMs are not counselors (except for a few chaplains and some doctors) and should not overstep their bounds.

6 years is a long time.  If you have been with this man for six years, are pregnant with your second child together, and he is shying away from marriage because of a few secondhand stories about women cheating I would say that is a HUGE red flag for YOU.  Forget about him - think about your own happiness too.  Do you want to be married to a man like that?  I know I wouldn't.

Do you have medical benefits now?  HOw are you paying for your high risk OB care?  Your children will be able to get coverage through Tricare as long as your boyfriend enrolls them in DEERS.  You, unfortunately, will not.  And you won't qualify for married housing, separation pay, and a slew of other beneifts (both monetary and non monetary).  If he won't marry you I URGE you not to just follow him around the country/world waiting on him.  It isn't worth it.  This life is hard for even the best marriages and most stable home situations.  If your relationship is full of trust issues, drama, immaturity, and communication gaps you are in for a rocky road.

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• OK, here's the thing. We've been together since I was 15...our first child was an accident, and I ended up being a teenage mom, and he proposed. I said yes and here we are...he wanted to get it over with already (get married) but I told him I wanted to wait so we could have enough money to have a nice wedding...I am his MPOA, and my son and myself are the beneficiaries of his life insurance....but idk all there is to know about the military and we've been told by numerous higher ups that he would get BAH and separation pay just because he has a child that he will have to pay someone to support while he's gone but everyone else is saying he won't get those benefits if we're not married. My children will be covered by his insurance, but I am not. Right now I'm covered by pregnancy medicaid but it doesn't provide for the best doctors/facilities. I talked to him about the whole marriage thing awhile ago and he said of course he still wants to marry me, or he wouldn't still be with me, he was just kinda put off by my 'wanting to rush into it all of a sudden.' 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • So he'd rather have you on Medicaid than Tricare, and after six years you're "rushing" to get married?  I'm not a big fan of encouraging people to get married just because they have children together, and unfortunately my gut is telling me that in spite of your history together he's decided that you're not the one he wants to marry.  My advice is to talk to an attorney and start figuring out things like child support.  Additionally, if you've been icing together for an extended period you may be considered common-law spouses, and divorce proceeding might be necessary.  Regardless, you deserve better than this guy.

• I agree with PP-- after 6 years and two pregnancies I don't feel like you're 'rushing' to get married.  As for waiting for a nice wedding-- why not just go to the court house and have a nice wedding with family as a renewal down the road? 

As for the cheating thing--- If he trusted you, or really cared, he wouldn't take those 'higher ups' advice or thoughts on the matter.  My H and I have been together for 10 years of military service and neither of us have ever had any trepidations about cheating despite stories from other people.  It's really NOT that hard not to sleep with someone else- and if he doesn't trust you, don't marry him anyway!  You deserve to be with someone who trusts you.

As for the 'screwing over' by the military thing--- the rules are in place for a reason--- They may be flawed in some ways, but the commitment of marriage to a service member is a huge deal and even if you have a commited relationship outside of marriage, how can they prove that?  Just because someone has a child or claims that they are engaged doesn't make it true (not saying that all marriages are based on truth either-- like I said, flawed in some ways).  Budgeting is a huge deal with the military and too many people abuse the system, they have to have some rules in order.  It's not becuase they want to 'screw you over'-- it's to protect the rights and priveledges of service members and their families in the long run.

• Maybe he's just not that into you?

I mean really... after 6 years and 2 kids....it's time to make a decision. That decision is yours- do you want to stay with a man that obviously has no intention of marrying you? The fact that he doesn't want to discuss it with you would be a huge red flag that perhaps he doesn't see you in his future.

• imageGreenFlamingo7:

Maybe he's just not that into you?

I mean really... after 6 years and 2 kids....it's time to make a decision. That decision is yours- do you want to stay with a man that obviously has no intention of marrying you? The fact that he doesn't want to discuss it with you would be a huge red flag that perhaps he doesn't see you in his future.

My thoughts exactly. I definitely don't have any advice besides do what is best for you and your children. And, if you have to convince someone to marry you then it sounds like a  bad deal IMO. If he wanted to marry you, he would.

• imagesmsweat:
    OK, here's the thing. We've been together since I was 15...our first child was an accident, and I ended up being a teenage mom, and he proposed. I said yes and here we are...he wanted to get it over with already (get married) but I told him I wanted to wait so we could have enough money to have a nice wedding...I am his MPOA, and my son and myself are the beneficiaries of his life insurance....but idk all there is to know about the military and we've been told by numerous higher ups that he would get BAH and separation pay just because he has a child that he will have to pay someone to support while he's gone but everyone else is saying he won't get those benefits if we're not married. My children will be covered by his insurance, but I am not. Right now I'm covered by pregnancy medicaid but it doesn't provide for the best doctors/facilities. I talked to him about the whole marriage thing awhile ago and he said of course he still wants to marry me, or he wouldn't still be with me, he was just kinda put off by my 'wanting to rush into it all of a sudden.' 

This is NOT a reason to get married.  Getting married for the benefits is the wrong reason to do it.  It sounds like you want to marry him because you love him but DO NOT try and guilt him into doing it just so you can get benefits.  It sounds selfish and it makes you sound like you are using him, even if you're not.  As long as he lists his child as a dependent he is eligible for housing benefits, these benefits do not increase with the number of dependents so getting married wouldn't make it go higher.  The ONLY benefit you would get out of getting married is medical.

If you've been with him for 6 years and 2 kids later and he still doesn't want to get married I'd be questioning why.

• It sounds like you need a crash course in the "benefits" available to married service members.

As an unmarried junior enlisted SM he will most likely have to live in the dorms. Married SMs can petition their "higher-ups" to live outside the dorms with their families. If his petition is approved he can move into base housing with his family. Either way, you will not see his BAH payments. I don't think (though I could be wrong) that junior enlisted are allowed to live off-base, but if he were he would get a nominal increase in his BAH. It's not much and definitely not worth getting married over.

You said you are already the beneficiary of his life insurance, so there's no added benefit there.

If you marry him, you would get healthcare.

You will be able to accompany him to most of his assignments, deployments and unaccompanied tours notwithstanding.

That's it.

In all honesty, it sounds to me like this man does not want to marry you and to me, none of these benefits is worth being married to someone who doesn't want to be married to me. My suggestion to you is to find an apartment for you and your children and talk to a lawyer about getting child support taken out of his pay. They will set it up as an allotment, so you don't have to rely on him to cut you a check every month, the military will automatically send you the money before he gets paid.

I'm sorry you're in such a crap spot. Your FI clearly needs a reality check.  

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Along with what PPs have said, I would like to add... I'm pretty sure the ONLY way he could get BAH for the kids is if he has sole custody of them. I'm pretty sure you guys would actually have to have the paperwork saying that he has sole custody too.

As for the separations pay, I could see him getting separations pay just for having them, but I'm not sure on that so I can't give any valuable input on that.

• He's in the National Guard and they said everything is different, not sure if that includes this stuff or not, but he was told as long as he has a lease or mortgage turned in before he leaves for BCT he will get BAH and the amount will be determined on avg rental rates in the area of his HDS. He didn't say he didn't want to get married, and I wouldn't be marrying just for benefits. We have been planning on getting married for a long time, and I am trying to rush into it a little because of the military thing but there is a reason for that. His BGD is sourced to deploy next year. We talked about it a while ago and he told me he doesn't want to do it right now because he's got alot on his plate, which he does. He has been going to school F/T just to qualify to keep his reservation, on top of monthly drills. He also said that if he deploys there will be time between the time he gets out of AIT and the time he leaves that we can get married..but I tend to over-analyze things and it kinda worried me that he said 'we can' instead of 'we would' get married, PLUS I've heard stories of NG guys being deployed right out of AIT...so I keep pressing the issue and I think he is just getting annoyed with it and that's why he doesn't want to talk about it anymore. It wouldn't worry me so much if he wasn't deliberately planning on switching his MOS to infantry and then volunteering to deploy....I've been wanting to marry this guy since I met him and if something happens...I just want to be able to say that he was my husband even if only for a little while. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I think I painted an awful picture with my pp's about the situation...I am sad that he doesn't want to get married before he leaves, but I also understand why. The only thing I am REALLY  upset/worried about is that I'm afraid we won't be able to find an APT manager that is willing to sign a lease with us before he starts getting paid...We've been staying with my parents now since July after a mistake made by my employer cost me my job...and while I got UI it wasn't enough to maintain my bills....I love my family and I'm thankful for their help but they are...awful, and the stress they give me is something I don't need to deal with for the next 7 mos. Now as for my FI, I think a little background info needs to be shared here. I love him very much, and I know he loves me, and I would, believe me, take all you ladies' advice IF I didn't know in my heart that he wants to be with me and marry me. Together we've gone through some things that no couple or parents should ever have to go through...suffice it to say that there are things that have happened in our relationship that tells me that this man loves me with all his heart and wants to be with me for the rest of his life, besides him just saying so. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageAshC311:

So it sounds like you and the kids are already listed on his life insurance and the kids are listed on his DEERS?

He'll get BAH as long as he provides a rental agreement/lease before he goes.  How much he gets is based on the zip code and whatever your rent/lease costs may not be fully covered.  My H went to boot camp and AIT before we were married but were living together.  All of his money went into his bank account.  Before he left, he added me to his account so I'd have full access.

It sounds like the only benefit you're missing out on now is the health insurance to me.  And you won't be the person whose contacted right away if anything were to happens, unless he listed you as his emergency contact which sounds to me like he did?

If he doesn't want to get married, then another option is to have him give you power of attorney.  Once again, you still won't be under his health insurance.

Yes! Pretty much, and he does have me as his emergency contact. I am already his military power of attorney as well. All he has left to do is give me access to his bank account while he's gone so I can pay the bills and stuff, and yes I will be missing out on the insurance for now, but I'm OK with that...I'm still covered by medicaid, though it sucks, but it's better than nothin.  

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imagesmsweat:
    He also said that if he deploys there will be time between the time he gets out of AIT and the time he leaves that we can get married..but I tend to over-analyze things and it kinda worried me that he said 'we can' instead of 'we would' get married, PLUS I've heard stories of NG guys being deployed right out of AIT...so I keep pressing the issue and I think he is just getting annoyed with it and that's why he doesn't want to talk about it anymore.

I would let up on the 'pushing' for alittle bit, if you have the time to, maybe a week or two...he could be overwhelmed with the fact that he is about to leave his family behind, and on top of that maybe the 'pushing' of getting married might be the iceberg...I would try and bring it up after afew days or a week or so, because the uncertainty of the amount of time they will have before they deploy would just make me uncomfortable. Depending on what and all is going on politically he could have a year before he deploys and then again he could get out of AIT and only have afew days...and I would bring this up to him when you bring up the subject, maybe along the lines of 'i know you dont want to talk about it, but we need to talk about the what-ifs, should you get deployed early, etc...'
    As far as finding an apartment, I hope you guys manage to find a nice good hearted manager that will let you guys into a lease without him getting pay first.

I certainly wish you guys the best of luck, and also on your pregnancy :)

• If you know that you two are, at some point down the road, going to get married anyway fiscally it makes way more sense to do it before he leaves than after.  He will get paid for having dependents the entirety of his time rather than not until after he gets back and marries you, and your children (born & unborn) and yourself will be covered by Tricare.  BAH/BAS will go up with more dependents as well.  I'm not certain whether you were saying that he was going active after he switches MOS's or staying Guard though.  Some of these things only apply to Active Duty service members.  If he is going active, and not of sufficient rank, you will not be able to be with him pretty much no matter where he goes.  He will not necessarily be able to get housing out of the barracks, though that depends on where you are.  If he gets stationed overseas, forget it.  Most places require an exception to policy letter for single soldiers to live off post, and he will be considered single.  The only other way around that would be for him to have custody of your children more than six months out of the year, in that case he would qualify for housing for himself and the children, but that still does not include you.  It sounds like the two of you need to go talk to finance/housing and have them explain to you both what he's entitled to now and what he'd be entitled to after you were married so that he can make an informed decision about when, not something based off of some dumbass NCO's opinion because once upon a time, he got burned.  I'm a pretty big proponent of getting married (provided that is what you want anyway) before he leaves.  My husband and I got married while he was still in AIT because we knew that if we didn't do it then it would be much more difficult for us to be together at his first duty station.  Thank God we did, because they switched his station from Ft. Bliss to Germany and it would have been a good year before I would have been able to get over there to be with him, if took them several months as it was.  We were married in a courthouse originally and after he graduated from AIT we had the stereotypical ceremony with all our family and friends.  In a lot of ways, it was nicer.  We had the first ceremony just to us and the second as a celebration with everyone else we cared about.  Maybe a different way for you to look at it, if not it's just a thought and I hope that some of this helps!!
  • imageRelativeChaos00:
    If you know that you two are, at some point down the road, going to get married anyway fiscally it makes way more sense to do it before he leaves than after.  He will get paid for having dependents the entirety of his time rather than not until after he gets back and marries you, and your children (born & unborn) and yourself will be covered by Tricare.  BAH/BAS will go up with more dependents as well.  I'm not certain whether you were saying that he was going active after he switches MOS's or staying Guard though.  Some of these things only apply to Active Duty service members.  If he is going active, and not of sufficient rank, you will not be able to be with him pretty much no matter where he goes.  He will not necessarily be able to get housing out of the barracks, though that depends on where you are.  If he gets stationed overseas, forget it.  Most places require an exception to policy letter for single soldiers to live off post, and he will be considered single.  The only other way around that would be for him to have custody of your children more than six months out of the year, in that case he would qualify for housing for himself and the children, but that still does not include you.  It sounds like the two of you need to go talk to finance/housing and have them explain to you both what he's entitled to now and what he'd be entitled to after you were married so that he can make an informed decision about when, not something based off of some dumbass NCO's opinion because once upon a time, he got burned.  I'm a pretty big proponent of getting married (provided that is what you want anyway) before he leaves.  My husband and I got married while he was still in AIT because we knew that if we didn't do it then it would be much more difficult for us to be together at his first duty station.  Thank God we did, because they switched his station from Ft. Bliss to Germany and it would have been a good year before I would have been able to get over there to be with him, if took them several months as it was.  We were married in a courthouse originally and after he graduated from AIT we had the stereotypical ceremony with all our family and friends.  In a lot of ways, it was nicer.  We had the first ceremony just to us and the second as a celebration with everyone else we cared about.  Maybe a different way for you to look at it, if not it's just a thought and I hope that some of this helps!!

There is quite a bit of incorrect information in this post.  BAH/w dependents is the same no matter if you have one or 10 dependents.   Also, it is extremely frowned upon to marry while between Basic and AIT and during AIT.  In many cases, it would be going against a direct order.  There is other wrong information in the post, but I don't have time to pick it all apart.

• I tend to think of BAH/BAS as one thing, so my apologies on the confusion there, I should have explained that better, but my brain is not entirely in my head atm.  I have never once heard it being "frowned upon" to marry in AIT, I could understand if you have a two week AIT I suppose, but when your AIT is 7 months long and you aren't trying to move anyone to you during it I can't imagine a problem.  If you think there is so much wrong with what I've said, then please correct it, otherwise what you said really helps no one.
  • imagechloebeth930:
    Not to be snarky but my only advice is to stop having children with someone who doesn't want to marry you. Since your concerned about getting screwed by the military... If he won't marry you before he leaves for deployment make sure that your children are the benefactors for all benefits and life insurance payouts.

This. 

I NEVER, EVER consider the benefits I would get if my husband was killed...this is not a reason to get married. Good luck with your pregnancy.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • As far as I know, the only reason marrying between BCT and AIT would be because it creates more paperwork for someone, the only person that told him not to marry during that time was his recruiter and as far as I'm concerned his recruiter can deal, as we are having to deal with all the false information he gave us...and to the pp I have already stated multiple times I am not wanting to marry for benefits, we've been engaged since 2006, well before he ever joined the NG. I just feel that it's about time and I'm rushing a little because the military can be so unpredictable that I don't know where he'll be 7 months from now...and if he's going to be deployed I'd rather be married before he goes. I did say he wants to go active out of AIT but the only way he can do that is to apply for conditional release from the NG and have it approved, which is unlikely to happen, and even if it does it will take months for the process, but at the same time he still plans on switching MOS to infantry and then volunteering to deploy if his BGD doesn't end up going on orders anyways. Right now what's going to happen is he will go to BCT jan. 3rd, then after basic he will head on to AIT for 16 weeks, then he will either come home and find a job or he will get deployed. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • imagesmsweat:
    As far as I know, the only reason marrying between BCT and AIT would be because it creates more paperwork for someone, the only person that told him not to marry during that time was his recruiter and as far as I'm concerned his recruiter can deal, as we are having to deal with all the false information he gave us...and to the pp I have already stated multiple times I am not wanting to marry for benefits, we've been engaged since 2006, well before he ever joined the NG. I just feel that it's about time and I'm rushing a little because the military can be so unpredictable that I don't know where he'll be 7 months from now...and if he's going to be deployed I'd rather be married before he goes. I did say he wants to go active out of AIT but the only way he can do that is to apply for conditional release from the NG and have it approved, which is unlikely to happen, and even if it does it will take months for the process, but at the same time he still plans on switching MOS to infantry and then volunteering to deploy if his BGD doesn't end up going on orders anyways. Right now what's going to happen is he will go to BCT jan. 3rd, then after basic he will head on to AIT for 16 weeks, then he will either come home and find a job or he will get deployed. 

If he wanted to go IN and AD, why didn't he do that in the first place?

CJ 05/29/2013

• imageiluvmytxrgr:

imageRelativeChaos00:
    If you know that you two are, at some point down the road, going to get married anyway fiscally it makes way more sense to do it before he leaves than after.  He will get paid for having dependents the entirety of his time rather than not until after he gets back and marries you, and your children (born & unborn) and yourself will be covered by Tricare.  BAH/BAS (BAH and BAH are two entirely different things) will go up with more dependents as well. (No, it won't.  Entering his kids into DEERS will get him the dependent rate for BAH.  Getting married and adding her to it does not make it go up any higher as the prior sentence insinuates.  The rate is the same no matter if there is one dependent or 9.) I'm not certain whether you were saying that he was going active after he switches MOS's or staying Guard though.  Some of these things only apply to Active Duty service members. (Reserve and Guard families receive BAH.  It isn't much, but they do receive it.) If he is going active, and not of sufficient rank, you will not be able to be with him pretty much no matter where he goes.  He will not necessarily be able to get housing out of the barracks, though that depends on where you are.  If he gets stationed overseas, forget it.  Most places require an exception to policy letter for single soldiers to live off post, and he will be considered single.  The only other way around that would be for him to have custody of your children more than six months out of the year,(You don't have to have custody for 6 months of the year.  You can have visitation and be granted housing or BAH to live off post.  I could name you at least 15 people who I personally know who do not have any more than visitation with their children and have either BAH to live off post or live in housing on post. One of MH's Privates has no more than 6 weeks out of any year of visitation with his children and he lives in a 3 bedroom house on post because of it. It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen and is not completely uncommon.) in that case he would qualify for housing for himself and the children, but that still does not include you.  It sounds like the two of you need to go talk to finance/housing and have them explain to you both what he's entitled to now and what he'd be entitled to after you were married so that he can make an informed decision about when, not something based off of some dumbass NCO's opinion because once upon a time, he got burned.  I'm a pretty big proponent of getting married (provided that is what you want anyway) before he leaves.  My husband and I got married while he was still in AIT because we knew that if we didn't do it then it would be much more difficult for us to be together at his first duty station.  (Thank God we did, because they switched his station from Ft. Bliss to Germany and it would have been a good year before I would have been able to get over there to be with him, if took them several months as it was.  We were married in a courthouse originally and after he graduated from AIT we had the stereotypical ceremony with all our family and friends.  In a lot of ways, it was nicer.  We had the first ceremony just to us and the second as a celebration with everyone else we cared about.  Maybe a different way for you to look at it, if not it's just a thought and I hope that some of this helps!!

There is quite a bit of incorrect information in this post.  BAH/w dependents is the same no matter if you have one or 10 dependents.   Also, it is extremely frowned upon to marry while between Basic and AIT and during AIT.  In many cases, it would be going against a direct order.  There is other wrong information in the post, but I don't have time to pick it all apart.

See the above bolded.  As for getting married durring AIT, yes it is frowned upon.  It has been proven many times that IET soldiers don't always make the most awesome choices while in training.  Because of this, things like marraiges and tattoos during this time period are discouraged.  Some units issue a verbal order.  Other training units, like the one I was in, had to sign a counseling statement acknowledging that they had been given the order and understand it.  Units who have longer training periods often require soldiers to get permission before getting married durring training. 

When I was in training, we had a holdover who was being chaptered out of the Army because he went against the order and got married to his long time girlfriend while on an overnight pass.  He had just learned he was being stationed in Germany and they didn't want to be separated. 

It is also frowned upon to get married durring family day or between the time of graduation from AIT and when you report to your new duty station. 

• imageBacon+lettuce+tomato:

imagesmsweat:
    As far as I know, the only reason marrying between BCT and AIT would be because it creates more paperwork for someone, the only person that told him not to marry during that time was his recruiter and as far as I'm concerned his recruiter can deal, as we are having to deal with all the false information he gave us...and to the pp I have already stated multiple times I am not wanting to marry for benefits, we've been engaged since 2006, well before he ever joined the NG. I just feel that it's about time and I'm rushing a little because the military can be so unpredictable that I don't know where he'll be 7 months from now...and if he's going to be deployed I'd rather be married before he goes. I did say he wants to go active out of AIT but the only way he can do that is to apply for conditional release from the NG and have it approved, which is unlikely to happen, and even if it does it will take months for the process, but at the same time he still plans on switching MOS to infantry and then volunteering to deploy if his BGD doesn't end up going on orders anyways. Right now what's going to happen is he will go to BCT jan. 3rd, then after basic he will head on to AIT for 16 weeks, then he will either come home and find a job or he will get deployed. 

If he wanted to go IN and AD, why didn't he do that in the first place?

BLT, can he not still change.  I know things there are something different in the Guard than USAR, but I was given the opportunity right before I shipped at MEPS to change my mind and go AD.  I also don't understand why he didn't just go infantry in the first place if that was what he wanted. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"