Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Anyone's baby put on Nebulizer? Bronchiolitis?

My LO (7.5 months old) was put on a nebulizer on Friday due to his breathing... He started out with what I thought was just a cold... I only took him to the dr on Fri to make sure he was ok before the weekend... he had no fever, but was and is not sleeping in his crib due to congestion/coughing.  When I took him on Fri, the dr said he was wheezing/and coughing and that he needed the nebulizer for at least a few days.He still (one week later almost can not sleep in his crib b/c he gets sooo congested and then starts coughing too.. we need to sit in a chair with him all night so he is upright.  We are all very exhausted!!  Oh, and he also has a era infection.. On antibiotic for a few days now... What do you all do when you LO is congested like this and cant sleep? (for a week?) Do you think it is more serious?  Anyone have luck with nebulizer working  after few days? I dont know what to do anymore!! and the dr never seems to really help either. TIA!!!

Re: Anyone's baby put on Nebulizer? Bronchiolitis?

• Options

DS has been using a nebulizer for almost a week because of issues with coughing/wheezing.

After about a month of symptoms (coughing and wheezing) and 3 pedi visits, we began to treat with a nebulizer to see if that would help. We were concerned that it could by asthma or allergies. The last doctor we saw explained that they don't typically diagnose asthma before the age of 2 but that the treatment is pretty much the same (i.e. nebulizer). She also explained that some babies under the age of 2 have issues with coughing and wheezing whenever they get a cold and that their colds usually stick around longer than other babies. She said that as long as he's not in distress or having difficulty breathing  (he's not) they're usually not too concerned and that it usually resolves itself by the age of 2. And if it doesn't, that's when they would make a diagnose of asthma. She also explained that we could test for allergies at his 6 month appt. to rule this out.

As far as the nebulizer, she said that it could take as much as 10-14 days to really notice a difference in his symptoms. His breathing is definitely better but he still wheezes and coughs here and there.We have his 6 month appt this Thursday and we'll check in then to decide if it's helping and what next steps will be. We're going to ask for an allergy test at his appt to rule out environmental factors that may be triggering or exacerbating it.

Hope this helps.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DD2 has been on a nebulizer since 3 mo. due to reflux and it's a huge help.  We weaned her off and she developed an upper respitory infection last week.  Immediately, after using the nebulizer and pomacort meds we can see a huge difference.  We also use Vicks vapor rub on DD's chest when she's congested and a cold humidifier.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

DS was put on a nebulizer. He was wheezing so badly after getting a cold. The nebulizer did the trick and got everything started. We also got a humidifier for his room and I elevated his head by putting pillows under the mattress.

Did your doc give LO any other meds? DS got antibiotics and a decongestant.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

IMO you should've seen some relief after 2-3 days, especially since antibiotics are being used too.

What medicine are you using in the nebulizer?  

Your LO might need a steroid in it, Pulmicort (Budesonide) is what my DSs use. They also use Xopenex or Albuterol.

How many times a day are you using breathing treatments?  When my LOs are really bad it's used 3-4 times a day then gradually taper off.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"