April 2012 Moms
Options

Have you signed up for classes???

Life has been hectic and I just remembered...Hey, they gave me some kind of brochure at my first visit and it had class dates on it. I should look at that. Yeah. It totally says I should sign up 2 months in advance to avoid filling up. Oops. Now, I'm looking at dates thinking there are only a few that will work for us because a 4 week birthing series may take up past our due date. Oops again. So, I'm trying to figure out a date for a breastfeeding class and the birthing series, but I REALLY don't have an extra $100 right now. I will in about 2 weeks, after Christmas, or in 2 weeks when I get paid, but not right now. But I know I really can't wait until then to get this stupid form in. Grrr!!! I wish they took credit cards. Maybe if I call the number and try and register on Monday, THEY'LL take credit cards over the phone. This brochure says check or money order. Stupid pregnancy brain got me again!!!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Have you signed up for classes???

• Options
    I have not signed up yet either. I can easilly sign up online my ob's office never gave me any information which is really weird. I am seeing her at the end of the month and will be asking about signing up online for the classes at the hospital.
  • Options
    I asked my doctor about this about a month ago, and she told me not to worry quite yet.  But I know that it depends on how populated an area you live in and how many spots are available per class. I hope it works out! I saw on TV the other day that one of our local hospitals (a big one) is now offering the classes online. You can watch the videos as much as you want for 2 months.  I think they charged $55 for the series. Maybe something like that is available for you.
    Micah Leonard
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    And remember you don't have to take the classes at the hospital.  Our midwife gave us a list of about 10 different options, so we had much more choice as far as scheduling goes.  So weird they don't take credit cards.
  • Options
    That is strange that they don't take credit cards.  We signed up for a class in February and there was only 1 spot taken so far, so I'm sure you'll be fine.  And like OP said, you can always take a class at a different hospital. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm taking a 1 day class in mid Feb. We were the first couple to sign up, and the class is $40, at the hospital I will deliver (and work) at.
  • Options

When I took classes I was 30 weeks, it was an 8 week course.  I knew I was going to go early but it didn't bother me.  There were some that were at 36 weeks since the hospital was smaller and didn't do a bunch of classes.  We also had three 35 weekers (from class) give birth when I gave birth at 39 weeks. 

We also had to pay for classes.  I guess starting last year they decided all classes are free if you delivery there.  I may take the breastfeeding one again.  I wouldn't mind taking the sibling class but the OB said it's geared more towards the over 3 crowd.

Sorry no paragraphs, bumping from my phone.
    I once had a picture until the trolls showed up.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #1 7/08 PCOS dx 8/28/04 Met 1000 mg and Clomid cycles 1-4 1/6/09-5/2/09 BFN
    Clomid 100mg 6/4/09=O'd=BFP on 6/29/09! Beta@14DPO 70.8 Beta@16DPO 152. EDD 3/7/10.
    First u/s on 7/13/09 @6w0d heard and saw heartbeat 102 bpm.
    K M #1 arrived via c/s 3/1/10 10 lbs, 22 inches long at 39 weeks.

Surprise expecting #2. Med-free BFP on 8/1/11! Beta@15DPO 58.2 Beta@17DPO 198.3 Beta@23DPO 2338. EDD 4/9/12
    K M #2 arrived via c/s 3/19/12 9 lbs 2 oz, 21 inches long at 37 weeks.
    "If we weren't all crazy we would go insane."
  • Options
    Yes, I signed up about a month ago. Our classes are for 4 weeks and start at the end of January. I signed up early because DH's work schedule is tricky and we needed classes on a certain day of the week so I didn't want to miss out! ;)
  • Options

Hopefully they can get you in.

No classes here, never taken any either.  I've sat through 1 with my ex-sil and I just thought "wow, what a waste!" =0/ 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic image image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    imagedevious1031:

Hopefully they can get you in.

No classes here, never taken any either.  I've sat through 1 with my ex-sil and I just thought "wow, what a waste!" =0/ 

I wonder the same thing about the birthing classes. Really, I think it's mainly for Dhs peace of mind. He's the one who really has no idea what's going to happen. We watched a movie about baby development and when they came out with pointed heads he totally freaked! ;) I definitely want to take the breastfeeding class though. It will work out. If I can't do it at my hospital, I'm sure I can somewhere else. It's not like the baby WON'T come out if I don't take a class! Surprise

• Options

You don't necessarily need to take any classes. You can prepare yourself through reading books and watching videos on YouTube, or not... whatever you choose. Like you said, your baby is going to come out of you regardless and you'll have to figure out how to care for it regardless, ha.

Our hospital classes are free and we decided to sign up because DH would really benefit from the hands on experience the class offers (in newborn care specifically) and you can ask questions in a class, whereas you can't if you're just reading a book at home.  I signed up last week and there were 7 of 10 spots available when I did. I have friends in other cities that had to sign up way early for their classes though because they fill up so quickly.

• Options

We have signed up, our class runs for 10 weeks starting march 13, weeks 6-10 are designed to be post birth, there were only 12 spots and I just check now there is 1 spot left, so I am glad I signed up when I did.  The class has a 10 day delivery date window that they hope you will fall into!!  We live in a large city and they offer classes at 3 of the hospitals but I really wanted to do it at the one I will deliver at.  The cost of the class was $200 CDN.  We wanted to do a class for a couple of reasons, 1) for DH he is really nervous about the whole thing ~ Hell so am I!  2) we don't have a lot of friends in the city we live in and hope to meet some people through this, especially for me being off on Mat Leave for a year it will be nice to meet some ladies who are in the same boat.

I think it totally depends on where you live and the type of class you are taking as to when you register.

• Options
    We signed up for a day long childbirth class through the hospital we are delivering at. They also have the same information presented as a series but I was more apprehensive about the series because it will be the worst part of winter when we would be taking them. Originally we were going to take Bradley classes from a different instructor (not affiliated with the hospital) but it became too much of a hassle. -They were only on Sunday evenings, same time of year, 2/1/2 hours long and 45 minutes from our house... Definitely not the way I want to start each week. There are so many options out there... just need to find one that works for you. 
    My genius pup: Smushy Creature Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm signed up for the free ones my community offers.  I signed up early because they fill up quickly.  My first class is in early January. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"