Birth Stories
Options

Carter Wades Birth Story! Very long.

Honestly I kind of suspected something was up the day before I delivered. It was Sunday December 4th and I was getting ready for work when I noticed my belly was so low I couldn't even wear a skirt- I went to work wearing my husbands 2XL sweatpants! Adding to the "hmm..." moment my dog wouldn't leave me alone- She wanted to be within 2 inches of me at all times but I just blew it off as general clingy Chihuahua issues.

I went to work at my daycare and joked with everyone that my coworker and I were going to have our babies the same day (she was scheduled for an induction Dec.5th) and left that night feeling pretty good. We dropped off my SD and made dinner and around 1:30 A.M. I finally decided to call it a night and crawled into bed with my husband. It wasn't two. fricking. seconds and my water broke everywhere! I felt the gush and hopped out of bed hollering "My water broke!" to my husband and ran straight into the bathroom. He didn't believe it he ran in after me and we both listened as I continued to gush. I told him to please pack my bag (I made an idiots list for him to go by) and I called my doctors answering service. Then recieved a call from my doctor- APPARENTLY the nurse told him something other than my water broke but we got it cleared up and we headed to L&D.

We checked in and while standing at the desk I continued leaking fluid and my first contractions hit. I had been having them for weeks now but it was a shock knowing that it was the real thing this time. They got me into my hospital bed and I got all hooked up to my monitors and an IV started.

At this point I was only 1 cm dialated and 50% effaced. They wanted to start Pitocin and after a lengthy debate I got them to wait until 6:30 A.M. My husband slept while I let everyone know where we were at and texted my coworker to tell her we were really having babies on the same day. At 6:30 they came back in and there was no change so I gave in and let them begin the Pitocin drip to see if we couldn't get things more regular. By 9:30 A.M. the contractions were getting intense. I was shivering and couldn't think through them. My only relief was sitting straight up and moaning through them while my husband rubbed my back. They gave me a painkiller like Nubain (but isn't) and it helped for a little while but the contractions were still hard to breath through.

By 2:30 I was dialated to 4cm and 100% effaced so they let me get the epidural and I am so glad I did! I did great handling the contractions but the relief the epidural gave me let me get much needed rest- which is good because things got nasty a little later. I had an awesome nurse who began giving me tips on pushing and was just a complete angel to me. My MIL and mom stayed with us and kept my husband company while I slept.

At 7:00 the nurses changed and I got some cranky old witch but I was very excited when she checked me and announced it was time to get going. Our moms filtered out and I began practice pushes and was thrilled when they announced it was time to get my doctor.

Now up until this point we thought everything was smooth sailing boy were we WRONG. I began pushing when my doctor got there and it was very quickly we realized something wasn't right. I couldn't move him down. After an hour of pushing Carter was stuck in the birth canal and I wasn't making any progress. My epidural had long ago worn off and I was started to have difficulty pushing. My contractions were slowing down and weren't strong and I was losing energy fast. I remember at this point I started crying because I was so scared he was going to die- the nurse just kept rolling her eyes at me and kept telling me to push.

My doctor started getting worried and they began trying to help me by vacuuming him out and no matter how hard I pushed he wouldn't budge. They began trying to pull on him any way they could ( I was screaming - won't lie- I was in really bad pain) and the doctor did an episiotomy trying to make some kind of room. They began to start discussing an emergency c-section which just set something off in me ( I didn't want that AT ALL). Finally something just gave and I started cussing the nurse out (and my doctor) I got mad and somehow that gave me the energy to push my son out!

After 2 and a half hours of pushing, He was born December 5th at 9:31 P.M. and it became clear what the issue was. Carter weighed 10 lbs at birth and had a 15 inch head to go with that huge body. He was 22 inches long and was born with long thick blonde hair- I sobbed I was so relieved he was okay. I barely noticed the doctor stitching me up (I had torn the episiotomy to my rectum and had multiple other tears...over 38 stitches) and I just watched him wiggle around looking at everyone- he barely wailed. I was too weak to hold him from blood loss but my husband showed him to me and I couldn't believe how beautiful he is.

Recovery hasn't been very easy- my stitches hurt (obviously) and I had other issues from the delivery ( my blood pressure and temp. were very low after birth). We're home now and I'm so glad- I can't believe I finally get to hold my little boy. My husbands been an absolute sweetie with letting me rest and I couldn't have done any of it without him. 

Ladies my words of advice: If you hate your nurse tell the ***** to go. She made me feel so discouraged with her attitude and I almost gave up because of it (lame I know but I was so tired). I lodged a complaint against her and my doctor let her know how he felt as well.

Sorry so long- I know there was alot of debate about having large babies on the boards and I wanted to share my experience. There was NOTHING to tip us off that he'd be so big but I'm glad because it can be done so don't let anyone pressure you into a c-section because of size!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Carter Wades Birth Story! Very long.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"