April 2012 Moms
Options

Poll for mom's of 2+: "I never thought I'd..."

What are some of things that pre-baby you never said that you'd do, but you have now given in to? Why did you give in?

So what is it... Velcro shoes? Twinkle toes? Disney princess bedsheets?

imageVisit The Nest!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Poll for mom's of 2+: "I never thought I'd..."

• Options

Child leashes - I always said "never" but, it only took one time for Dillon to dart to the *almost* outside of the grocery store in .32554 seconds before I decided that we will be getting one. We were in produce and he was helping me bag lemons and he literally disappeared into thin air when I turned my back to place them in the buggy.

TV - how the hell else would I get anything done around here? Sprout is a life saver. 

• Options

Not much at all, which makes me happy.Smile

hm....if anything they are things that I would rather not do, but still do, but not things that I was ever strongly against. The one thing is that on my work days I let DS eat his breakfast at the coffee table while I get ready for work and he gets  to watch Dora. Embarrassed  I hate to admit it but he is three, he can handle it and I really need that time to myself to get ready.  Win win.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Let my daughter eat "chicken nuggets" and "fish sticks".  But man, those things are easy to cook up and she loves them.  I always said I'd make her eat whatever we ate for dinner.  But I guess now, for me, it doesn't seem realistic to expect her to eat a salad, or kalbasi & sauerkrut (spelling) or anything of that nature.

More power to the mom's that can and do!

• Options

So far I can't think of a thing but I think since DS is quite young yet there hasn't been the issue with him wanting something that I don't want for him.

I think I've been more of a slacker on stuff that I said I would do and haven't been.  Like taking a lot of pictures, home cooked meals, being more green...

• Options
    imageMDmama519:

Child leashes - I always said "never" but, it only took one time for Dillon to dart to the *almost* outside of the grocery store in .32554 seconds before I decided that we will be getting one. We were in produce and he was helping me bag lemons and he literally disappeared into thin air when I turned my back to place them in the buggy.

TV - how the hell else would I get anything done around here? Sprout is a life saver. 

I have my second on the way  but I do in home childcare for 3 kids under 2 so THIS EXACTLY!

BabyFetus Ticker

imageimage
  • Options

The Disney Princess crap.  I didn't want that crap in my house but my MIL bought DD a little fold out couch for her first birthday that has the Disney Princesses on it.  That was the gateway drug to bigger and better things.  However we've been pretty good.  She just has some of the Little Mermaid stuff and not much else except a backpack that we just bought her for our trip to Disney.

I did say no shirts with characters on it.  DD has one Dora shirt. ;)  That's it!!!

• Options
    imageTheOriginalSP:

The Disney Princess crap.  I didn't want that crap in my house but my MIL bought DD a little fold out couch for her first birthday that has the Disney Princesses on it.  That was the gateway drug to bigger and better things.  However we've been pretty good.  She just has some of the Little Mermaid stuff and not much else except a backpack that we just bought her for our trip to Disney.

I did say no shirts with characters on it.  DD has one Dora shirt. ;)  That's it!!!

lol at 'gateway drug' haha

imageVisit The Nest!
  • Options
    Oh and that I would make all the baby food....the kids eat at least one corndog a week....they love them no matter how lacking of nutrition they are.......

BabyFetus Ticker

imageimage
  • Options

I definitely shared the hate for light up shoes and fought those and twinkle toes for as long as possible.  At the end of the day, making them happy with something as simple as shoes and getting out of the house w/o a tantrum over shoes was way more important.

I also hate character shirts, but fortunately we have had few of those in our house.

Not a fan of noisy toys and happy to say that the only ones that came into our house were purchased by other people.

Always said we'd never have a gaming system of any kind.  We have an Xbox Kinect and Nintendo DS.  Embarrassed But, I'm glad I didn't buy them too soon b/c, while I'm glad we have them some times, they don't get played with in excess. 

DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Options

--Lots of ugly plastic toys

--Character clothes/shoes

--Have a picky eater (yeah, there are some things you cannot control, LOL)

DD #1 passed away in January 2011 at 14 days old due to congenital heart disease
    DD#2 lost in January 2012 at 23 weeks due to anhydramnios caused by a placental abruption
  • Options
    imageMjmksb04:

--Have a picky eater (yeah, there are some things you cannot control, LOL)

So, so true!  DH and I always said we were going to take our kids out to sushi from a young age.  Then they were dx'd with food allergies and DS turned out to be super picky regardless of the variety of foods we eat in/out of the house.  DD eats fish, seaweed and udon noodles though, so there's always hope!

DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Options
    Oh, about a million things.  DS is 3- he plays with my Nintendo DS that I got on bedrest with him the first time.  He isn't the best eater so I give in to "toddler" food more than I thought I would.  Saying, "wait until your father gets home".  I could go on. 
  • Options

I swore I'd never co-sleep. DS had colic and would stay up for hours screaming and then freak out in the crib all night. I finally gave up and let him sleep in our bed for a few months. Now he's 3 and still climbs in bed with us in the middle of the night sometimes!!

I also said I'd never let my kids eat fast food. We don't do it often but who can resist the golden arches from time to time? 

Married 7.9.05
    DD1 9.24.06
    DS 7.1.08
    twins due 9.7.11 lost twin A at
    DD2 4.7.12
  • Options
    Morning sickness killed the no TV until 2 thing, but other than that there wasn't anything I can think I said I'd never do.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    cosleep. I said from day 1 DS was going in his crib. I knew before I left the hospital that THAT wasn't happening. It just felt so weird and sad to me. So he slept in a rnp next to my bed and then the pnp. Then bed sharing. I was completely, adamantly, 100% against it. When it was between that and getting zero sleep I gladly brought the little guy to bed with me and he slept AMAZING. I've been so sad lately since I've been trying my hardest to wean him off of it. He's gladly doing better sleeping next to me though and can make it till morning in his seat. I would never with DH in bed, but I would find myself miserable, awake at 6am, counting the minutes till he got up for work so I could put DS in his spot. :)
    photo newsig2_zps17ef14af.jpg
  • Options
    oh yeah, and tv before 2. When he's being a turd and there's just stuff I HAVE to get done I'll turn it on. And I refused to not watch evening tv with DH just because he was in the room. Come to find out he actually naps better with the tv on. I couldn't figure out why he napped so crappy for me during the day and great in the evening and weekends until I realized that it was when DH had the tv on. Anyhow, he's a very quiet baby and isn't babbling much, but when I turn the tv on he'll squeal, and kick, and "talk" to the tv. 
    photo newsig2_zps17ef14af.jpg
  • Options

- not have all those noisy plastic toys - definitely learn to just tune them out

- use disposable diapers - morning sickness and fatigue threw that out the window when DS was 11 months old. Sold all my diapers and am just going to use Earth's Best.

I'm doing pretty good on everything else though, he's a super sweet and happy dude.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I for sure said I wouldn't let my kids go with a soother past a 1 year (I think?) anyways they're still using their soothers for bedtime...so much for that.

There may be other things, but that's all that comes to mind at this moment.

• Options

I never thought I would no longer care what my house looks like.

I still clean it, but I don't clean it up.  I just vacuum around toys or kick them out of the way.  There are things I intentionally put near the edge of the counter so Z can pull them off and play with them (today a bunch of crap cataloges that came in the mail, he tore all the pages out).  He thinks he is getting away with something, but I planted it.  Then I enjoy the quiet while he is entertained.

There are boxes, egg cartons, plastic tupperware and Wii remotes all over the place and I do.not.care.

Pre-Z I had a perfect home (I come from and OCD mother and grandmother) and I am happy to admit that my OCD has been cured.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker My birthson who came before I was ready. He doesn't call me mom but I love him just the same. ~7/10/99~
  • Options
    imageTheBuddha:

I never thought I would no longer care what my house looks like.

I still clean it, but I don't clean it up.  I just vacuum around toys or kick them out of the way.  There are things I intentionally put near the edge of the counter so Z can pull them off and play with them (today a bunch of crap cataloges that came in the mail, he tore all the pages out).  He thinks he is getting away with something, but I planted it.  Then I enjoy the quiet while he is entertained.

There are boxes, egg cartons, plastic tupperware and Wii remotes all over the place and I do.not.care.

Pre-Z I had a perfect home (I come from and OCD mother and grandmother) and I am happy to admit that my OCD has been cured.

Teach me your trick!  I'm completly OCD.  In fact, mine got WORSE after DD #1 came along.  I find myself going home before I pick her up from daycare to make sure I can vacuum, get the dogs out and fed, do laundry, get dinner going, pickup, get outfits ready for the next day....and so on!  I do all this within 30-45 minutes before I HAVE to get DD.  The sad thing is, I do this EVERY day! 

I drive my husband NUTS, and quite frankly, I'm driving myself nuts....I'm just soo damn neurotic and hard wired.  Any suggestions???

• Options

We are pretty on track, we have high expectations for behaviour and we are consistent with discipline, he's also a sweet and good natured child, which helps.

We did cave and get light up CARS shoes, however they are limited to play and daycare. We swore he would never wear ugly crappy character clothes, he's been gifted several things, and so they too are limited to daycare wear.

We also changed out view on co sleeping, cloth diapering and baby led weaning. These are things I was uneducated about prior to becoming a mommy, and sicne learning more we have adopted all of these in our parenting style.

• Options

I never thought I'd resort to CIO.

We were all miserable from not sleeping and we did a version and haven't regretted it once.  DD is an amazing sleeper now.  (Not saying that's necessarily BECAUSE of the CIO though.)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"