Babies on the Brain

Anyone make the salt dough ornaments on pinterest? (or crafty types come in)

I think I am going to do this, but I am not super crafty. They talk about putting a varnish on them after they are cooled. Where do I buy varnish, and what kind of varnish do I use?

Also, it says to poke holes to prevent air bubbles. Holes all over? 

Re: Anyone make the salt dough ornaments on pinterest? (or crafty types come in)

• I've made them before.  I didn't buy varnish for them, just painted them with acrylic paints (btw, varnish can be found in the interior paint section of lowes, home depot, walmart, etc).

I was actually going to suggest the holes because my recipe didn't tell us that, and they puffed up in really odd spaces.  I'm not sure if it means holes all over or not.

Oh, we also forgot to poke a bigger hole at the top to put a ribbon through, we ended up gluing them on.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageCinnamonBun:

I think I am going to do this, but I am not super crafty. They talk about putting a varnish on them after they are cooled. Where do I buy varnish, and what kind of varnish do I use?

Linky???

• Loading the player...
  • You can poke tiny holes with toothpicks and it doesn't need to be all over. I poke the year into the ornament.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had to chime in because I made these over the weekend. Not sure what recipe is on Pinterest but we used 1 cup flour, 1 cup salt and 1 1/2 cups warm water. I baked for 1 hour at 300 degrees. I did not have to poke holes in mine- except for the hole to attach string/hook. We used a straw, btw, and it worked really well. I also did not varnish. We painted with acrylic paints and used various slick paint to make mouths/eyes/noses. I found that the prettiest ornaments were the ones we painted and then sprinkled with a fine glitter. My 10 year old loved this project! We made about 40 ornaments. Be sure to make a handprint ornament- I did that with my one year old!

Have fun!

LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • image*BlackSheep*:
    imageCinnamonBun:

Linky???

https://homemadegrits.blogspot.com/2009/12/handmade-christmas-homemade-ornaments.html
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"