1st Trimester

Did you just "know" you were pregnant?

I just know I'm pregnant and have had this very strong feeling since what should have been implantation (which was 8 days ago).  My AF is 6 days late, which would mean my implantation timing would have been a few days past average.  My problem is that I took my third HPT today and still negative.  This would be my first baby and I have had countless symptoms in the past week that I've never had before (veins in abdomen/boobs visible, swollen/sore/enlarged breasts, slightly increased body temp, mood swings, fatigue, and either starving or disqusted by food).  I am SOOOO frustrated because DH and I want a baby very badly and have been trying for several years.

I know you aren't doctors so I don't want to be another girl asking if I'm pregnant (how would you know), but my questions is.. did any of you just know you were pregnant before you had a positive test??  And secondly, how many weeks pregnant were you before you finally had the Positive test??

Best wishes to all!!  :-) 

Re: Did you just "know" you were pregnant?

• i just knew.. and apparently so did my SO. (wish he would of told me.) i took a test at 11dpo and was positive. im 4 weeks today
    Shane 8/19/12 Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • I didnt find out until I was 7 weeks.. because I had a "very light period" ... I really had no clue.. but when I POAS I just knew it was going to say pregnant because I was almost a week late for my period... I had no clue I was going to be 7 weeks tho!
  • Loading the player...
  • I didn't feel a thing until after I had the positive test last time or this time.  All I have now is a little crampy sensation, and I'm starting to get a little breast tenderness.  I get waves of nausea here and there, but I pretty much get that anyway.  I just think I wanted to be pregnant so badly that I am no longer objective and starting to imagine stuff.

Just keep testing, it isn't over until you get your period.  Good luck.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#1 10 wk missed mc      

BFP#2 DS born at 40+2 on 8/14/12  BFP#3 DD Born at 39+3 on 5/13/14

• imagesarajo317:
    I didnt find out until I was 7 weeks.. because I had a "very light period" ... I really had no clue.. but when I POAS I just knew it was going to say pregnant because I was almost a week late for my period... I had no clue I was going to be 7 weeks tho!

that sounded confusing.. LOL. I thought I had a period in September (which I suppose wasnt) and then missed my period in October :)

• My hubby & I tried for 2 years. We had an IUI and as soon as we walked out after the procedure, he said, "It worked, you're pregnant!" Of course, I was skeptical. About two weeks later, I started to feel odd cramping about a week before AF was due, then a couple of days later, my toothpaste tasted absolutely horrible. That's  what cinched it for me. I tested on the day AF was due and got my BFP. That put me at 4 weeks when I got my BFP but I know that some women don't get their BFPs until 7 or 8 weeks sometimes. Don't lose hope. If you have symptoms and AF is late, there's reason to hope. Best wishes to you!
  • imageMissMusic:
    Nope.  I actually was 100% convinced that my period was coming.

Yep, I hear you.  Over the weekend I was so convinced it was over that I ordered a 50 pack of OPKs and a new BBT.  I guess I can just put them in the drawer until next time.

BFP#1 10 wk missed mc      

BFP#2 DS born at 40+2 on 8/14/12  BFP#3 DD Born at 39+3 on 5/13/14

• I just "knew" I was pregnant for about 6 cycles that I was not actually pregnant.  Eventually, I stopped thinking much about it and was totally surprised when it actually happened.  I think everyone just "know" if they've only been trying for a couple months.  Those of us who take longer get over it.
  • My boobs were hurting and I just felt pregnant, but I waited about a week to test.  I just knew that it would say positive and it did!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I knew, and I even said I thought I was pregnant which is why my DH went out and bought the test.  I had really sore boobs which rarely happens with AF.  I also was lacking some of my normal AF symptoms. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • To clarify... We've been trying for almost 3 years.  This is the first time that I have this feeling that I just am.  Every other month I feel that I am NOT pregnant and sure enough I am right... So to the lady that made a comment suggesting that people who have only been trying for a few months are prone to "just knowing" that they are pregnant when they are not OR they read too much into their bodies and think that every little twinge is a sign.. that does NOT apply to me.  I may indeed not be pregnant and my heart will probably be broken for the 30th month in a row, but I have hope this month and that is wonderful!

I appreciate the kind responses, but to the posters of the negative responses.... "If you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all".  No one is forcing you to respond to a post so if you can't be helpful, supportive or kind to others going through the same thing as you, then you kind of have to wonder what kind of character you have.

• My husband and I are TTC and this our first time. I have myself pretty convinced that I am, but it's only our first time trying. Sometimes I think it's just my nerves, and I'm not a very patient person so the waiting to find out is just about driving me crazy! I had some mild/ annoying cramps a few days ago and they lasted 2 days on and off. I felt it could be implantation, but who knows. I would love to find out and tell our parents as a Christmas present!

By now you know that you were (or were not) and I'm sure have a beautiful toddler or baby at home since this was in 2003. So if you see this congrats to you! 

• imagekelllimarie86:

My husband and I are TTC and this our first time. I have myself pretty convinced that I am, but it's only our first time trying. Sometimes I think it's just my nerves, and I'm not a very patient person so the waiting to find out is just about driving me crazy! I had some mild/ annoying cramps a few days ago and they lasted 2 days on and off. I felt it could be implantation, but who knows. I would love to find out and tell our parents as a Christmas present!

By now you know that you were (or were not) and I'm sure have a beautiful toddler or baby at home since this was in 2003. So if you see this congrats to you! 

Thank you Kelli.. But I joined The Knot in 2003 when we were planning our wedding.  We've been TTC for almost 3 years and have no children yet.  Keeping my fingers crossed, though!  :-) 

• My BFP cycle was the first one where I was absolutely 100% sure I wasn't pregnant. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageVanessa4646:

To clarify... We've been trying for almost 3 years.  This is the first time that I have this feeling that I just am.  Every other month I feel that I am NOT pregnant and sure enough I am right... So to the lady that made a comment suggesting that people who have only been trying for a few months are prone to "just knowing" that they are pregnant when they are not OR they read too much into their bodies and think that every little twinge is a sign.. that does NOT apply to me.  I may indeed not be pregnant and my heart will probably be broken for the 30th month in a row, but I have hope this month and that is wonderful!

I appreciate the kind responses, but to the posters of the negative responses.... "If you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all".  No one is forcing you to respond to a post so if you can't be helpful, supportive or kind to others going through the same thing as you, then you kind of have to wonder what kind of character you have.

Apologies, there are many, many posts here and in TTGP along these same lines.  And many of them ARE pregnant, though it's only their first or second month TTC and they bemoan how HARD it is.  It gets old seeing other women blink and get pregnant.  But I do wish you the best and hope this is your cycle.

• I knew I was pregnant very early on because I had the same symptoms as I did with my last pregnancy.  I took two tests and got negatives, waited a few days and took two more and got my positives. 
    CRAFTY ME

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    my read shelf:
    Kasi's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I just wanted to wish you good luck and say that I'm in the same boat.  It's our first cycle trying, but I have enlarged, sore breasts (which I never get with AF), a constant need to pee, and a carsick feeling. I just feel way too "different."  I'm going to hold off testing again until I'm a couple of days late, but I'll honestly be surprised if it's negative.  Fingers crossed for us!

And to all of those who have been trying a long time, I really hope that this is your month.

• I just saw that and was coming back on here to correct myself! lol! Well I'll say a prayer for you, good luck!
  • imagekelllimarie86:
    I just saw that and was coming back on here to correct myself! lol! Well I'll say a prayer for you, good luck!

Your ticker suggests that you got a positive HPT at ~5 dpo.  Is this possible?  Any chance you could be further along than you think?

• I knew.  We weren't trying to conceive, and I knew immediately that something was weird with my body.  I don't know how to explain it (my hubby certainly didn't get it!) but I just knew.  It wasn't wishful thinking, because we weren't trying.  I know my body, and I know what's out of the ordinary!  I got my first positive test 4 days before my period was supposed to start. I don't know that I actually believed it, though, until our first ultrasound!  Good luck to you.  I assume you have tried the First Response Early Detection test?  Those are one of the more sensitive tests on the market, which is what I got our first positive with.
    BabyFruit Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I definitely knew I was pregnant. I had implantation cramps at 5dpo in the late evening (which felt like AF cramps, but lighter). I tested positive at 9dpo in the evening. My stomach never felt settled and I had cramping off and on. I was 3 weeks and 1 day pregnant when I found out. Super early :) I'm now 6w2d.

ETA: Spelling 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • No... I never received an HPT... It's so annoying... I keep trying to change it and it keeps setting it back to the same spot.... Before it was reading that I had a 15 week old child at home... I just gave up trying to fix it.
  • imageMissMusic:
    Nope.  I actually was 100% convinced that my period was coming.

This. I bought the test thinking it was going to be a big waste of money. And I have been pregnant before.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I just knew... and I took a test 4 days after being late for my period to come. It came up negative. I still felt off so 3 days later (before a girls night at a chinese food restaurant and alot of drinking) I decided i should definitely take another one, just in case...My intuition was right! Big Positive!!! ;) I was overjoyed!! What I've learned is sometimes, the pregnancy tests aren't as "accurate" as they say they are earlier in the process. You could always call your doctor for a blood test. That is the only absolute accurate way to know. 
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I think you are pregnant. Can you call and ask your dr. to order you a blood test?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagesurprise3rd:
    I think you are pregnant. Can you call and ask your dr. to order you a blood test?
    ...and I just knew too.  I just knew it, I just poas to confirm my thoughts.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had no idea.  I actually thought my period was coming!  I was with my girlfriends for a weekend and, on the last day, I actually told one of them, "I'm #6" b/c we were all getting or on our periods that week (even though we all live in different cities, so it was really funny) and I was spotting and cramping (my period was supposed to come that weekend anyway, though sometimes it fluctuates a week earl or late sometimes).  2 days later (Tues.), I had flu-like symptoms: extreme nausea, fatigue, dizziness, hot/cold flashes.  I stayed home from work on Wed. and was still really tired on Fri. when my DH suggested that I take a pregnancy test.  I did and was shocked to find a BFP waiting for me 3 min. later!  That was only 19 days after conception (I keep track of that and ovulation).  Just to be safe, I took another test the following Sat. (at my parents' house, over turkey day weekend, lol).  When that turned positive after less than 2 min., I knew for sure (longest week of my life, btw) and we told my family that night!

That's a long story just for me to say: it will work!!  Give it time, faith and trust and I'm sure you will get the surprise of your life someday!  Best of luck and my t&p's are with you!!

Anniversary Visit The Nest! image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I did not feel pregnant at all. I started testing very early (at 7 dpo), just for sh*ts and giggles. And got an extremely faint positive at 10 dpo. I was NOT expecting that.

That being said... I assume you are not charting your waking temps? If not, then you can't know for sure if/when you ovulated (and thus how far past ovulation you really are). And, even if you are accurate about your DPO, you should absolutely be getting a positive pregnancy test at this point, if you have really missed AF by 6 days.

Honestly, I think you ovulated later than you thought you did. And if you are pregnant, it probably didn't happen when you thought it did either, so you'll test positive that much later. A late ovulation would explain the "missed" AF and negative HPTs.

Lots of women have "phantom" symptoms, where they experience all kinds of "early pregnancy symptoms" and are convinced it means they're pregnant -- except they keep getting negative tests, and eventually AF shows up. The hormone that cause those early pregnancy symptoms is progesterone -- the same hormone that causes PMS symptoms.

There's also the psychosomatic angle, which is not uncommon amongst women who desperately are hoping for a child (especially if they've been trying a long time). This leads to a woman's body showing physical symptoms of pregnancy, without actually being pregnant. There's also a more severe (but rare) form of that, called pseudocyesis, where a woman progresses through 9 months of pregnancy and even goes into "labor" without actually being pregnant.

If you stalk the boards long enough, you'll see the psychosomatic thing play out a lot. Woman after woman has come on here listing off a dozen different "signs" that they must be pregnant, except that they haven't had a positive HPT. And then a few days later, AF shows up and the symptoms disappear.

Anyway, I hope that's not the case for you, and you really are pregnant. But, be careful about getting too excited about things that really are meaningless!

Mama's Clone - 07/18/12

• I had no clue.  In fact I would have bet I wasn't pregnant.  Also, I'm 13 weeks and still don't feel pregnant and haven't really had any real symptoms... except my belly is getting bigger.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I had convinced myself that I was not pregnant. I had spotting september and october so I really thought I wasnt. But one day I thought about making lasanga for dinner (my favorite) and started feeling like I was going to puke, I knew something was going on. I took a hpt the next morning and at 8 weeks pregnant I got a positive. But I still thought I wasnt pregnant lol it was just to good to be true I guess. All the other months I swore I was pregnant, and the one time I "knew" I wasnt, I was.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • With my first we weren't trying & I didn't pay super close attention to when my period was due. One morning I woke up with a weird stomach ache & told DH I wanted to get a test because I felt pregnant. I just knew it would be positive & it was. Then we figured out when my last period was & I ended up being 6 weeks when I tested. From that day on I had terrible m/s.

I did have spotting for a few days around the time of my expected period so that threw me off.

BTW- I had a feeling this time too.. but I also had a feeling every month since starting TTC.

GL

DS1 8/11/10 
    DS2 8/21/12
    DD 9/26/14
    Baby #4 edd 2/11/19 
  • imagedani2480:

That being said... I assume you are not charting your waking temps? If not, then you can't know for sure if/when you ovulated (and thus how far past ovulation you really are). And, even if you are accurate about your DPO, you should absolutely be getting a positive pregnancy test at this point, if you have really missed AF by 6 days.

Honestly, I think you ovulated later than you thought you did. And if you are pregnant, it probably didn't happen when you thought it did either, so you'll test positive that much later. A late ovulation would explain the "missed" AF and negative HPTs.

This.

And I knew I was. I just did. So I wasn't suprised when I got a positive, I just felt less crazy for knowing that I was! Honestly though, knowing your pregnant isn't a symptom, as you see a lot of women have no idea. The only thing you can do is wait and see! It sucks but it will be worth it if you are.

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagekarelaorange:
    I just "knew" I was pregnant for about 6 cycles that I was not actually pregnant.  Eventually, I stopped thinking much about it and was totally surprised when it actually happened.  I think everyone just "know" if they've only been trying for a couple months.  Those of us who take longer get over it.

This exactly. I was on my 6th cycle when I got my BFP and I had pretty much given up hope that it was actually going to happen.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am loving that ticker, OP. You going to come back on here and cry about how you 'lost' your baby when you get your period? 

FFS people...really?   

• imageVanessa4646:

To clarify... We've been trying for almost 3 years.  This is the first time that I have this feeling that I just am.  Every other month I feel that I am NOT pregnant and sure enough I am right... So to the lady that made a comment suggesting that people who have only been trying for a few months are prone to "just knowing" that they are pregnant when they are not OR they read too much into their bodies and think that every little twinge is a sign.. that does NOT apply to me.  I may indeed not be pregnant and my heart will probably be broken for the 30th month in a row, but I have hope this month and that is wonderful!

I must have missed where people weren't nice?  You can't expect to post on a public message board and have everyone agree with you - you asked for opinions, that's what you got.  For what its worth, I was convinced we were out our BFP cycle until I had a temp rise and took a HPT on a whim.  I was totally shocked and didn't actually believe it until 2 more tests turned positive.

• imagesweetgotham:

I am loving that ticker, OP. You going to come back on here and cry about how you 'lost' your baby when you get your period? 

FFS people...really?   

As far as a "ticker", I do not know what you are referring to??  I think that you might mean the timelines posted by users showing the number of weeks that they are currently at. I should not have anything like that on my bio.  If you are referring to something else that you obviously think I am wrong for using, please enlighten me.

And as far as "crying" when I get my period, why would I cry to people I don't know about something so personal?  I used The Knot when we were getting married (7 years ago) and it was a wonderful tool, the ladies were great, and I truly enjoyed using the site. It's very discouraging that you would post what you did and be so cold.  The poster that made the comment that I was referring to had reposted and said she apoligized.. which was very wonderful of her!!  So why do you need to get involved?  And for the record, the entire point of my post was to ask if anyone had a very strong internal feeling that they were pregnant before they had proof from a test.

• imagetheresat858:

Nope. I told DH it wasn't our cycle the day before I got my +HPT...

This exactly!! I had some spotting (like I always did in my 2ww), and I told him we were out for that cycle. The next day, I had some really different CM, and though I was sure it had nothing to do with anything, I figured I'd waste an internet cheapie just for fun. I was shocked. I was sure it would be a BFN.

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• I had an inkling because of bloating and breast tenderness but when the m/s started I took a preg.test.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I knew in my Heart with this one that I was pregnant. I think it could be a bit easier to tell the 2nd time around, since you've been through it before. But my boobs were SO very sore, and I never get that symptom while on my period. My Heart was pounding when I took my HPT because I just knew it would be positive. ALL of the symptoms I had at the very beginning were identical to my first pregnancy. Sore boobs, exhausted, and major pimples all over my chin. Identical!!

Good luck to you! Let us know when you take a test :)

DocumentsMy PicturesBabyBump13+wks.bmp BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • my first was a surprise baby and i didnt actually take a test until i was about twelve weeks [without knowing i was actually that far along]. i started feeling just really tired and just icky, and then the morning sickness kicked in and i was just convinced. i wasnt even going to take a HPT until my SO begged me to, "just to make sure". when it came out positive, he asked how i knew and i just told him "its the hormonal thing i guess." your body knows your pregnant, you just have to really know what youre looking for. i had had pregnancy scares before, where i missed my period for months on end, but never FELT pregnant, and i didnt end up being preggo. two weeks post no-period you should get a certain positive or negative.
  • hey i didnt know i had some symptoms but i just ignored them than went to the doctors and the test came out positive :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"