Military Families
Options

Tricare Question.

My DH and I are TTC. How will ultrasounds and appointments with an OB work if I have Tricare Prime. Our base has a huge hospital. Do you think our primary care will refer me to someone in town or will they handle it? If I'm referred to an OB in town will Tricare still cover 100% or will there be a copay or anything out of pocket?

DH and I are new at our first base so Tricare is still confusing to me.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Started Dating 03/04/2007 ~ Got Engaged 04/23/2010 ~ Said "I Do" 03/19/2011

Started TTC #1 11/2011 ~ BFP #1 03/28/2012-EDD 12/02/2012 ~

Greyson was Born by Unplanned C-Section on 11/20/2012 @ 8lbs 9oz 21 inhces

Started TTC #2 07/2013 ~ BFP #2 10/11/2013-EDD based on growth is June 26th

Liam born by Repeat C-Section on June 20, 2014 @ 8lbs 2oz 20.75 inches

Re: Tricare Question.

• Options
    If your base has a huge hospital they should have a pretty decent OB. Talk to anyone from womens health and they should get you started on prenatals if you are pregnant or planning on becomming pregnant. tricare prime covers everything baby related from the 8wk and 20wk ultrasound to nausea pills (which are amazing) birthing classes and BF classes are also free. :DDDDD
  • Options

Since you're on Prime and your base has a hospital you'll see the OB's on the base.  You're only referred to someone out in town if it's for a procedure or a situation they can't do or handle at the base hospital. 

For example: the base hospital where I am doesn't do NT scans so they sent me to an outside place that does and that place billed Tri-Care.  It's covered as long as your doc gives you a referral.

Also your visits to the base hospital are 100% free and all meds are covered like prenatals.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imageshelllbe:
    If your base has a huge hospital they should have a pretty decent OB. Talk to anyone from womens health and they should get you started on prenatals if you are pregnant or planning on becomming pregnant. tricare prime covers everything baby related from the 8wk and 20wk ultrasound to nausea pills (which are amazing) birthing classes and BF classes are also free. :DDDDD

Not true. Tricare has what they call "Global Maternity" coverage. Everything pregnancy-related is covered 100% as long as your doctor deems it medically necessary, whether you are on Prime or Standard, so long as you see an in-network provider. Tricare does not cover ultrasound except for a few reasons, one of which is "to evaluate fetal growth", which is usually the 20wk ultrasound, but it depends on how your doctor's office codes the bill. Every doctor has a different standard of practice for when and why they order ultrasounds, but ultrasounds just for the heck of it will not be covered by Tricare.  

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

Unless for some reason the wait is REALLY long at your base hospital, they would refer you to the on base doctor. what base are you at? There might be some women on here located where you are that can give you a good idea of the care at that particular hospital.

We are in San Antonio, and have Wilford Hall / BAMC to go to and I love it. From what I hear on my BMB I get STELLAR care compared to those that are civilian going to a regular doctor. Also, its easier when it comes to prescriptions, lab work, and ultrasounds. Convience is awesome.

Married November 2007
    DH became a double above knee amputee with traumatic brain injury (TBI) - July 2009
    TTC - August 2009 DX: Severe MFI & TF due to TBI
    DH SA 0 count, started clomid therapy - November 2010
    DH SA 0 count, increased clomid dosage - January 2011
    DH SA 75 million with 60% motility!! - May 2011
    IVF with ICSI ONLY OPTION - May 2011
    3dt of 2 Grade A 8&7 cell embryos May 19, 2011
    +HPT May 30 2011 -- Memorial Day!
    Beta #1 = 34 Beta #2 = 101.8 Beta #3 = 603!
    Expecting beautiful Eden Grace February 7, 2012!
    I don't believe that God ever tells us "no". he has three options. Yes, not right now, or I have something better in mind. We just have to wait & see. BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    You'll be referred to OB care, and Tricare will determine where. If the base has space, you will be sent there. If not, you'll be referred out and Tricare will cover it 100%.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"