April 2012 Moms
Options

Solution to my glucose test problem

So one of the major drama moments of my last pregnancy was passing out during 1-hour glucose test, failing by one pt, then doing a 1 hour IV glucose test in the hospital because couldn't handle 3 hour test, and finally passing it and being fine- but totally emotionally scarred.  So, I already told my midwife no glucose testing for me, period.  She agreed, reluctantly, at my very first apt, but I figured there would be pressure as we got closer.  Went to endocrinologist today to check on my thyroid and since they are the diabetes experts I asked her if I had any alternatives or if she thought it was fine to just skip completely.  She said she would order bloodwork where I just have to eat big meal and then go and get tested at 1 hour post meal and 2 hours post meal.  No nasty drinks, no passing out, no drama.  She said that would be equivalent to the 3 hour and she would just send results to midwife! I am proud of myself for my self-advocacy and finding a solution that I think will work for everyone!

Re: Solution to my glucose test problem

• Options
    I want that test!Crying  I have to do a 2 hour, fasting, glucola test.  No food + terrible GERD + sugary drink = not good things for me. 
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Options

imageshouldbworkin:
    I want that test!Crying  I have to do a 2 hour, fasting, glucola test.  No food + terrible GERD + sugary drink = not good things for me. 

Any chance you could ask to be referred to an endocrinologist to do the testing if your OB can't offer you other options?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagenicoleRI:

imageshouldbworkin:

Any chance you could ask to be referred to an endocrinologist to do the testing if your OB can't offer you other options?

I'm tempted!

DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"