South Florida Babies

New to the board and questions about RE visit

Hi Ladies:

My name is Cristy and I'm new to this board. My husband and I have been married for 3.5 years and we live in South Miami. We officially started TTC in March of this year. I read TCOYF so I've been keeping track of my cycles, using OPK's, checking CM and I temped for a few months. So far we've had no luck.

I had my annual appointment with my GYN last week and he referred me to an RE at Fertility & IVF Center of Miami. Anyone been to this group or had any experience with them? Any tips or advice on the process at the first RE appointment would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Re: New to the board and questions about RE visit

• My first RE appointment was more of a "getting to know you" kinda thing. The RE I chose sat with us and we talked about what brought us there. They asked my husband and I a bunch of questions related to family history etc. At that appointment they also gave me the rx's for ALL the blood work I had to do and information on the HSG which I also had to have done. The blood work and HSG are pretty standard start up tests when you start seeing an RE so be prepared for that. 

She gave me a schedule for when everything needed to be done etc. and some prenatals and and rx for those too.

After all the testing that month, we went back for our follow-up/gameplan appointment and moved on from there. She basically went over what treatment method she thought would be best and then ave me a schedule for that too.

I went to IVF Florida in Pembroke Pines. They have an office in Kendall now too.  

TTC #1 May/June 2008
    CP 7.19.08
    Dx with PCOS 3.27.09
    HSG 7.15.09 = All clear
    8.09 & 9.09(re-try) IUI #1/2 - Clomid 100mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel=cancelled due to cysts
    10.09 IUI #1/2 - Clomid 100mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel Crinone 8%=BFP!
    22mm Follie / 60mil & 48mil post wash counts Beta #1 (14dpiui)= 102 Beta #2 (18dpiui)= 714 12.3.09 HB 135bpm

Our baby boy was born on 7.8.10 @ 38 weeks 2 days! 2:17pm 6lbs 8oz 20" long
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    TTC #2
    HSG 2.2013 - IUI 1/2, 3/4 = BFN - Took 4 month forced break
    IUI 5/6 Clomid 150mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel ( 11 & 15 mil post wash counts) = 2ww
  • imageMrs.HisOnly:

My first RE appointment was more of a "getting to know you" kinda thing. The RE I chose sat with us and we talked about what brought us there. They asked my husband and I a bunch of questions related to family history etc. At that appointment they also gave me the rx's for ALL the blood work I had to do and information on the HSG which I also had to have done. The blood work and HSG are pretty standard start up tests when you start seeing an RE so be prepared for that. 

She gave me a schedule for when everything needed to be done etc. and some prenatals and and rx for those too.

After all the testing that month, we went back for our follow-up/gameplan appointment and moved on from there. She basically went over what treatment method she thought would be best and then ave me a schedule for that too.

I went to IVF Florida in Pembroke Pines. They have an office in Kendall now too.  

Thanks for sharing your experience! I appreciate all the info I can get.

Your little one is adorable!!! 

• Loading the player...
  • I was seeing Dr. Jacobs at the Fertility and IVF Center group until very recently. Our experience with him, in general, was fine. He is very patient and obviously intelligent. Our visit was different than a "getting to know you visit" because we already had a diagnosis at that point. MH has azoospermia, so we knew right away where to start focusing. He had a very detailed plan for us involving lots of tests and blood work and was sympathetic. He did the first internal sonogram at our first visit, just to make sure I looked normal.  

However, his staff is a mess. I can't tell you how many times his office lost our test results or were just unhelpful. If you go there, you need to stay on top of them. 

Regardless, we would probably still be seeing them, but MH was diagnosed with a condition that Dr. Jacobs doesn't have experience with.

imageimage

Elizabeth Salom (elistar)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageEliStar:

I was seeing Dr. Jacobs at the Fertility and IVF Center group until very recently. Our experience with him, in general, was fine. He is very patient and obviously intelligent. Our visit was different than a "getting to know you visit" because we already had a diagnosis at that point. MH has azoospermia, so we knew right away where to start focusing. He had a very detailed plan for us involving lots of tests and blood work and was sympathetic. He did the first internal sonogram at our first visit, just to make sure I looked normal.  

However, his staff is a mess. I can't tell you how many times his office lost our test results or were just unhelpful. If you go there, you need to stay on top of them. 

Regardless, we would probably still be seeing them, but MH was diagnosed with a condition that Dr. Jacobs doesn't have experience with.

Thank you for sharing your story. I'm so sorry to hear that you are having to deal with all of this. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

I can't say that I'm surprised to hear about the staff at the RE's office. I already had an incident with them and I haven't even gone to see them yet. I'll make sure I stay on top of them. Thanks for the heads up on the process no one had mentioned anything to me when I made an appointment.

Best of luck! 

• Originally, we were referred to that office, but to see Dr Hernandez Rey.  They didn't take my insurance, so ended up at So FL Inst for Reproductive Medicine with Dr. Thompson (female) and LOVE her!  She's awesome, and her staff is amazing.  We were there for 2 yrs trying different options, and actually miss them since we got pg!  They are all awesome and caring, and genuenily care for their patients. 

Dr. T is amazing.  Like Justine, our initial meeting was just a sit down in her office to discuss history, and go over tests my OB had already run on us.  We came up with a gameplan from there, and she ordered a couple more tests.  Many times I would communicate with her via email and she always responded quickly (and avoided the add'l office fees since I didn't have fertility coverage - insurance only covered diagnostics).

Since my insurance didn't cover fertility, many tests I had done prescribed by her wouldn't have been covered otherwise... but my OB agreed to prescibe any test she needed so insurance would pay (SUPER NICE OF THEM ALL).

Also, after many attempts and failures, we did end up going to see Dr Jacobs (has great reputation, and I know of a couple of family success stories) for a 2nd opinion.  He was obviously very knowledgable, but IMO a bit cold (no bedside manner).  The office was also not as "homey" as SFIRM.  I know this all seems petty, and you just want the doc to get the job done, but when going through treatments (hopefully not many in your case), you visit A LOT (several times a wk), so you want to be comfortable.

GL

-- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"