Preemies

Success!

We've been working on weaning Owen off of thickened feeds due to his ssb incoordination which he has finally figured out. The weaning had been slow going and his OT isn't much help.  I stayed up into the wee hours of the morning researching on good old Dr. Google. I found that sometimes it is easier to just slowly introduce them "thin" liquid instead of slowly decreasing the amount of thickener in their milk.

This morning I prepared a small bottle of "thin" liquid to try and he took it like a champ.  At the beginning he took a few strong sucks and was like "what is this new stuff," took a few moments and thought about it and then slowly took the rest of his bottle with minimal pacing and difficulties.  If he was four I would totally take him out for ice cream to celebrate! 

I cannot wait to try again later and to show his OT on monday.

BPF May 12, 2013 :: EDD Janaury 22, 2013 :: MC Began On July 14, 2013 at 12W4D

Born at 34w2d:

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Success!

• Glad it worked!  
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • That's awesome!
  • Loading the player...
  • Our OT is sooo proud of Owen!  Now we can do "regular" liquid all the time and at our appointment next week we will look into getting a referral to a LC. 

I have to stupid smiley excited face going on.  The kind of smile you get on your wedding day and won't leave your face.  I am beyond thrilled because they originally thought he might have had dysphagia, and then they thought a neurological issue.  Apparently Owen just had to grow up.  Someone is getting an extra toy from mummy when she goes christmas shopping at Toys R Us tonight.

BPF May 12, 2013 :: EDD Janaury 22, 2013 :: MC Began On July 14, 2013 at 12W4D

Born at 34w2d:

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"