1st Trimester
Options

Slow rising hcg levels...anyone else?

Hi ladies,

I'm usually more of a lurker on here but after what I heard today, I need some help,, prayers?

I am about 6 weeks along and so far, everything has been great. This is my second so I knew what to expect, for the most part. On Monday, I had my blood drawn to test my hcg levels. I tested at 1520 and tested again yesterday. They only went up to 1643. My doctor said it is hard to be optimistic with a rise like that.

My husband and I are just devastated. Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks  

Re: Slow rising hcg levels...anyone else?

• Options

Have they ordered an u/s? 

Me: PCOs DH: Perfect!
    4 Fresh IVF cycles + 1 FET where embies didn't survive the thaw = 2 perfect little men!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    sFET 11/9/11 - Beta 11/18 BFP!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    They want me to come back in on Monday for more blood work.  Hopefully, I will hear about an ultrasound then. I had asked and the reply was that it is too soon for one?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had a somewhat different situation...but at one point i was told i was having a miscarriage because my hcg levels didn't go up enough...they did one "last" ultrasound to make sure and low and behold there was a heartbeat and I had a healthy baby.  Needless to say, I switched OBGYNs.... My second OBGYN said that HCG levels can vary and as long as it goes up...not everyone's hcg levels go up at same intervals..... I definitely think that there is still hope...
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imagePinkStiletto11:
    They want me to come back in on Monday for more blood work.  Hopefully, I will hear about an ultrasound then. I had asked and the reply was that it is too soon for one?

Is it possible your dates are wrong?  Usually at around 1500, they should be able to see a sac.  

Good luck on Monday!

Me: PCOs DH: Perfect!
    4 Fresh IVF cycles + 1 FET where embies didn't survive the thaw = 2 perfect little men!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    sFET 11/9/11 - Beta 11/18 BFP!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Thank you...I had been tracking my periods for the last few months while ttc.  First day of my last period was October 21st which would make me 6 weeks.
  • Options
    imageOrangeSmoke:

imagePinkStiletto11:

Is it possible your dates are wrong?  Usually at around 1500, they should be able to see a sac.  

Good luck on Monday!

That's what my dr's office told me today when she called with my second set of betas, that my OB would want to do an u/s after my HCG got up over 1500, so I would think it wouldn't be too early. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We are going thru the same situation. My beta only rose from around 1100 to 1800 and they didn't seem very optimistic either. I called back and they brought me in for an ultrasound I'm only 5w2d and they thought they saw what may be a sac but no yolk sac and still she didn't seem optimistic - of course I've been a crying mess :( idk what any ofthis means either & inhave to wait til tues for more bw - keep us posted if you get any answers! Fx for you!
    TTC since May 2010
    ME: 29, DH: 29
    dx: MFI due to uncontrolled diabetes
    10/2011 baseline bw, us and HSG - ALL CLEAR!!, SA #s were looking good
    Nov 7 2011 Clomid monitored ultrasound - 2 follies on left side (one was 18-20mm the other was 22 mm) and 1 medium follie on right side
    Nov 9 2011 IUI #1 clomid + ovidrel trigger
    Nov 23 2011 BFP!!
    beta #1 11/23: 228, progesterone: 38, beta #2 11/25: 426, progesterone: over 40, beta #3 11/29: over 1100, progesterone: 30.4, beta #4 12/2: 1800, progesterone: 20.4 - starting progesterone suppositories, beta #5 12/6: 1600 :(, progesterone: 19, after a rollercoater of up & down betas we went ahead with the methotrexate shots and ultimately had a m/c 12/2011 :(

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Well, I went to the ER this morning because I was concerned about an ectopic. After a whole lot of blood work, an IV, and an ultrasound, we saw and hear a heartbeat. I'm measuring right on track but my levels have only gone up by 200 since Thursday afternoon. They said they're hopeful but they just don't know yet...
  • Options

Hey,

I am new to this site and have been lurking the boards as well.  I think I have some similar symptoms as you.  Its so hard when you check these boards and try to find people who have had the same experiences, when your symptoms may not be 'typical'.  I found out I was pregnant on Dec. 3.  and went to my dr on Dec. 6 for confirmation (I actually had the appointment booked to check infertility issues as we have been trying to conceive for a year now....I have a 12 year old son).  I have been spotting the whole time (started on cue when I should have gotten my period on Nov. 24, so I thought I just had started my period).  I took a hpt on the 29 and Dec. 2 both negative.  But then I took another one on Dec. 3 positive (I couldn't believe it, so I proceeded to take 4 more throughout the weekend, all positive! lol).  My dr. booked me for an ultrasound due to the spotting (which has been very light, sometimes brown, sometimes pink, sometimes red, but always there) which was booked for Dec. 14.  On Dec. 12 my bleeding increased somewhat (more red, but still not heavy like a period) and was accompanied by some cramping (moderate period type cramps).  I went to emerg, where they tested my hcg (1352), internal showed cervix still closed and firm.  I had an ultrasound on Dec. 13, showing no signs of pregnancy and they repeated my blood (hcg levels at 1556).  My cramping went away and have no signs of it returning.  They sent me back to test my hcg levels again yesterday (Dec. 15), and they were 1900.  But had another ultrasound (regular and transvaginal) which still showed no signs of pregnancy.  They are suspecting that it is ectopic, but can't say for 100% certainty.  So they have recommended me going back in 48 hours (tomorrow) to have my levels checked again and anothe ultrasound.  The obgyn told me that most ultrasounds should be able to detect something when hcg levels are between 1500-2000.  I keep clingy to the hope that I was not over the 2000 range yet, and that's why they can't detect the pregnancy.  I am preparing myself for bad news tomorrow, but am also still hopeful that there is a small chance it could be good news.  So we will see.  The waiting is what is killing me more than anything.  I don't understand if the pregnancy may not be viable, how come my levels are still rising?  Albeit slowly, but rising. 

I wish you good luck with your ultrasound and further testing! 

************Siggy warning, LO & loss***************

Me 37 - DH 37 unexplained infertility
    DS born 09/99
    TTC since 2010
    12/11 BFP - ectopic, received methotrexate, benched 4 months 
    08/14 - exploring fertility options

Tubes clear, SA for DH all clear
    10/14- #1 IUI (femera/ovadril/progesterone), 2 follicles 22/17, post wash count 94 million BFN

10/14 - #2 IUI (Femera/ovidrel/progesterone ), 2 follies 19/20, post wash 111 million, BFN Dec 2014 Femera BFFN Taking a break to explore foster to adopt!

• Options
    I was told that the 'magic' hcg levels to see on ultrasound were between 1500-2000, so it may be too early.  Some sites on the web say even over 5000 is when they can detect on ultrasound.  My friend had crazy high levels at first 25000 and they didn't detect the pregnancy on the first ultrasound at 5 weeks.  Then when she went back at 7 weeks, there was baby and strong heart beat.  With her they figure she had twins, but one did not progress and was absorbed by the other.  None of it is exact science.

************Siggy warning, LO & loss***************

Me 37 - DH 37 unexplained infertility
    DS born 09/99
    TTC since 2010
    12/11 BFP - ectopic, received methotrexate, benched 4 months 
    08/14 - exploring fertility options

Tubes clear, SA for DH all clear
    10/14- #1 IUI (femera/ovadril/progesterone), 2 follicles 22/17, post wash count 94 million BFN

10/14 - #2 IUI (Femera/ovidrel/progesterone ), 2 follies 19/20, post wash 111 million, BFN Dec 2014 Femera BFFN Taking a break to explore foster to adopt!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"