April 2012 Moms
Options

Saw a santa commercial and I was wondering....

Maybe another controversial post. Will your children believe in santa?  
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Saw a santa commercial and I was wondering....

• Options
    I suppose I should answer. My children will believe in santa, the easter bunny, and all of that stuff. It's fun and I see no harm in it.
  • Options

Wait Santa's not real?? Surprise

Jk, but I would like my children to believe in Santa for a long as possible. Even after they stop believing, Santa will still come to our house hopefully (my parents did this and we all played along). It is fun!

Married 9/19/09
    BFP#1 05/19/10 M/C 6/4/10 d/x threatened m/c 6/6/10 m/c confirmed
    BFP#2 10/26/10 M/C 11/01/10
    BFP#3 11/28/10 C/P 11/29/10
    BFP#4 02/23/11 M/C 3/1/11
    BFP#5 08/13/11 EDD 04/27/12 Beta @11DPO 8.79 Beta @13DPO 36 Beta @17DPO 179 Beta @20DPO 679!! 6w3d hb 116 bpm! 8w3d hb 164 bpm! 10w4d hb 177-187 NT scan 12w2d hb 173-everything looks great! 14w4d-everything still looks great! A/S scheduled for 12/12!
    Our rainbow baby is here!! Emmalynn Anne born 4/27/12 via unplanned c-section
    BFP#6 Surprise! Here comes baby #2! Harper Elizabeth born 12/17/13 via c-section
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hell yes! I think the whole "I won't let my kids believe in Santa because I don't want to lie to them" thing is bs. Even worse are the people who want their kids to know that they gave them their gifts because they worked hard. I think Santa is a wonderful part of being a child and having that innocence and taking it away is selfish.
    i wish i could be joking but my dad is the music teacher at a church so he owuld be mad. we had sex, all the time how bad i know but we dont want to wait and he said GREAT OH KAY! and I was really feeling the wets? down there- too embarsed to say- but he acted like man.
  • Options
    Santa still visits at our house too! :)
  • Options
    Yes, I loved Santa as a kid and I don't see anything wrong with giving them a little magic in childhood. I don't think it's lying to your kids. But I also don't judge people who don't do Santa. DD's already crazy about him!
  • Options

We're not Christian (at least, I'm not and Jake isn't practicing), but we'll do Christmas (as well as expose them to other beliefs and holidays).

We'll do Santa.  But we WON'T be doing the crappy "Better behave or Santa won't give you presents" thing and build it up a huge amount.  Magic and imagination is needed for children, and I think Santa (and like-characters) are fun to help w this, but it shouldn't be a *serious* thing.  Most likely 1 large present (their big gift of the year) plus the stocking will be from Santa, and the rest will be from family. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Mine do. We are religious though, and want them to understand the true meaning of Christmas. They know that it is to celebrate our saviors birth. We tell them that he is watching and that he lets Santa know if they are being naughty or nice. Big Smile
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagejgilmore86:
    Santa still visits at our house too! :)
    We get a Santa gift from MIL still too!
  • Options

Darn Tootin'! Santa came to visit DH and I before we had kids! LOL

I mean, I believe in the religious part of the Holiday, so I'll teach that part as they are old enough to hear it, but the religious side and the secular side can get along just fine IMO. 

BabyFetus Ticker
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagegisa886:
    I think Santa is a wonderful part of being a child and having that innocence and taking it away is selfish.

...of being a CHRISTIAN child...

• Options

Definitely will believe!

Check out this article from a friend of mine on FB. Her friend's kid is in this class! Can you believe someone would do this??!!!

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/12/01/ny-teacher-accused-of-spoiling-santa-story-for-young-students/

Part of That World Blog
    my read shelf:Jennifer (JSweetieXO) Cepero's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

imagebellablue2:
    Mine do. We are religious though, and want them to understand the true meaning of Christmas. They know that it is to celebrate our saviors birth. We tell them that he is watching and that he lets Santa know if they are being naughty or nice. Big Smile

Totally agree with you! Christmas is absolutely about the birth of Jesus and we will teach our kids that from the get go but Santa goes right along with the spirit of Christmas! 

• Options
    imageninjabridemom:

imagegisa886:
    I think Santa is a wonderful part of being a child and having that innocence and taking it away is selfish.

I've known non-Christian children who believe in Santa and many Christian families who don't do Santa because it goes against Jesus. So, negative ghost rider!

i wish i could be joking but my dad is the music teacher at a church so he owuld be mad. we had sex, all the time how bad i know but we dont want to wait and he said GREAT OH KAY! and I was really feeling the wets? down there- too embarsed to say- but he acted like man.
  • Options
    imagemamabear0813:

Darn Tootin'! Santa came to visit DH and I before we had kids! LOL

I mean, I believe in the religious part of the Holiday, so I'll teach that part as they are old enough to hear it, but the religious side and the secular side can get along just fine IMO. 

I agree with this. Our faith is very important to us, and I already talk to DD about the real reason for Christmas. She likes to ask questions about our nativity and the people in it. I can't wait for Christmas Eve mass this year since it's the first year she'll understand at least a little bit. I don't think having Santa has to take away from that.
  • Options

It seems awkward to do Santa when you don't do Christmas at all -- do the non-Christian families celebrate anyway?

Though I celebrate Christmas and I'm not religious or Christian, so I get that.

I just don't like that there are people who say it's a big part of being a child when there are plenty of children who still get the magic and innocence and fun w/o having Santa or Christmas around.

• Options
    imagegisa886:
    imageninjabridemom:

imagegisa886:

I've known non-Christian children who believe in Santa and many Christian families who don't do Santa because it goes against Jesus. So, negative ghost rider!

I think she was more pointing out that some religions SPECIFICALLY don't celebrate Christmas. So it's unlikely that they'd do the Santa thing too. I mean, I don't know any Jews who do Santa. 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    imagemamabear0813:
    imagegisa886:
    imageninjabridemom:

imagegisa886:

I think she was more pointing out that some religions SPECIFICALLY don't celebrate Christmas. So it's unlikely that they'd do the Santa thing too. I mean, I don't know any Jews who do Santa. 

Yes, Mama was much more articulate about it -- thank you!! :) 

• Options
    I hope so! That is one of the things I'm really looking forward to about being a parent. You only get to believe in magic for so long... well, unless you're a weirdo. lol
  • Options
    imageJSweetieXO:

Definitely will believe!

Check out this article from a friend of mine on FB. Her friend's kid is in this class! Can you believe someone would do this??!!!

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/12/01/ny-teacher-accused-of-spoiling-santa-story-for-young-students/

That's awful. No matter what you believe it is NOT your position as a teacher to say that to the kids. I get this question all the time (from first graders) b/c a lot of our parents can't afford to do Christmas. I always tell them that I believe, but that everyone has to decide for themselves.
  • Options
    imagemamabear0813:
    imagegisa886:
    imageninjabridemom:

imagegisa886:

That's right, they have  Hanukkah Harry. ;-p

• Options
    imageninjabridemom:
    imagemamabear0813:
    imagegisa886:
    imageninjabridemom:

imagegisa886:

That makes more sense, but if you do celebrate a different holiday other than Christmas I would assume it is understood that Santa won't visit your house.

• Options
    imagemamabear0813:
    imagegisa886:
    imageninjabridemom:

imagegisa886:

you do now. 

• Options
    imagegisa886:
    imageninjabridemom:
    imagemamabear0813:
    imagegisa886:
    imageninjabridemom:

imagegisa886:

That makes more sense, but if you don't celebrate a different holiday other than Christmas I would assume it is understood that Santa won't visit your house.

Makes total sense to me!
    DD#1 11.7.07 - DD#2 11.2.10 (3rd Tri Loss)- DD#3 4.18.12
  • Options
    imagejenwet:
    imagemamabear0813:
    imagegisa886:
    imageninjabridemom:

imagegisa886:

you do now. 

How do you explain the whole Santa comes on one night thing? Or do you just modify the Santa to fit? (I hope that doesn't sound snarky, I'm actually curious how you make the idea of Santa, that has been mostly based on Christian customs, work for Jewish customs)

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

We've always done Santa at our house.  Even now my parents still don't put presents under the tree until we are all asleep.  My DH and I spend Christmas Eve with them.  It's so much fun to wake up in the morning and see all the presents under the tree.  I don't even remember when I found out that Santa wasn't real.  I don't think I was really that disappointed.  So we'll do the same for our kids.  

I agree with a PP that we won't hold being good or Santa won't bring you toys over their heads.  I think that's just mean.

But I'll be super pissed if some jackass little kid whose parents told him Santa wasn't real because they didn't want to lie to their kids spoils it for mine.  Life is full of disappointment and the wonder of Christmas is so magical.  Why ruin it for them. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    imageJSweetieXO:

Definitely will believe!

OMG ! That is just wrong. Poor kids.

My kids will believe in santa and all the other fun characters Smile

• Options
    Yup, it is part of the childhood experience in my opinion for those who celebrate Christmas. My son already knows Santa is coming.
    Little E born 12.10.09 Little A born 04.19.12
  • Options

Oh, and I totally plan to use "be on your best behavior, b/c Santa's watching!" for as long as it works. I don't think it's mean. Kids today are going to grow up too soft, guys!

• Options
    She already does.
    -----------------------------
    Penelope Lynn 5.8.2009
    Harrison Peter 4.10.2012

Check out the blog at balletandbaseball.com
    click for toddler hilarity
  • Options
    imageTambcat:

Oh, and I totally plan to use "be on your best behavior, b/c Santa's watching!" for as long as it works. I don't think it's mean. Kids today are going to grow up too soft, guys!

I agree with this! I mean, if you can' threaten coal in the stocking instead of candy, what good is it? I mean, you still have to buy the candy so you might as well get something good out of it while you can! 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    imageTambcat:

I'm hoping "be on your best behavior, *I* am watching" with icy death glare will be enough.

I don't think it's mean to say that stuff about Santa, I just don't want Santa to be THAT big a part of their lives. 

• Options
    imagemamabear0813:
    imagejenwet:
    imagemamabear0813:
    imagegisa886:
    imageninjabridemom:

imagegisa886:

you do now. 

How do you explain the whole Santa comes on one night thing? Or do you just modify the Santa to fit? (I hope that doesn't sound snarky, I'm actually curious how you make the idea of Santa, that has been mostly based on Christian customs, work for Jewish customs)

We don't make Santa fit with Jewish customs. They're completely separate. We're a mixed marriage from a religious standpoint, and we both fundamentally disagree with the idea of raising our kids within any organized religion. That said, our families and their respective traditions are deeply important to us, so we do both. Our kids will be raised to understand all religions (as many as we can expose them to, which at this point is quite a few), practice those customs that we deem cultural and/or just appropriate for us (like Santa with my family, or Passover with his), all within the concept of family as their central "belief" structure.

• Options

imageTambcat:
    I hope so! That is one of the things I'm really looking forward to about being a parent. You only get to believe in magic for so long... well, unless you're a weirdo. lol

I'm still waiting for my letter from Hogwarts! Stick out tongue

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagejenwet:
    imagemamabear0813:
    imagejenwet:
    imagemamabear0813:
    imagegisa886:
    imageninjabridemom:

imagegisa886:

you do now. 

We don't make Santa fit with Jewish customs. They're completely separate. We're a mixed marriage from a religious standpoint, and we both fundamentally disagree with the idea of raising our kids within any organized religion. That said, our families and their respective traditions are deeply important to us, so we do both. Our kids will be raised to understand all religions (as many as we can expose them to, which at this point is quite a few), practice those customs that we deem cultural and/or just appropriate for us (like Santa with my family, or Passover with his), all within the concept of family as their central "belief" structure.

I see. That makes perfect sense. Thanks for explaining that. 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

And to answer the question, we are TOTALLY doing Santa.  We are going to try to make it as awesome as we can for Biscuit.  Using different wrapping paper so he doesn't wonder why Santa uses the same paper as us, and will be making special tags for the gifts, probably on the computer, so he doesn't recognize handwriting, doing the milk and cookies bit, etc.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageKFCupcake:

imageTambcat:

I'm still waiting for my letter from Hogwarts! Stick out tongue

I got mine last week so you must not have been chosen. Sorry Charlie  

• Options
    imageKFCupcake:

And to answer the question, we are TOTALLY doing Santa.  We are going to try to make it as awesome as we can for Biscuit.  Using different wrapping paper so he doesn't wonder why Santa uses the same paper as us, and will be making special tags for the gifts, probably on the computer, so he doesn't recognize handwriting, doing the milk and cookies bit, etc.

Our gifts from Santa were never wrapped. The toys were already put together and sitting out for us ready to play with! I guess that made it easier to wrap the presents so there was no confusion on what was from Santa and what wasn't. 

• Options

My kids will believe in Santa and the magic of the holidays! Even at the age of 21, me and my mom spent our last Christmas looking out the window looking for santa and his reindeer.

My mom was Jewish so it was never a religious holiday for me, just a celebration of the season and the magic of believing. We also lit a menorah during Hanukkah and had our own tradition for small gifts on those nights. I hear some families use a Hanukkah bush. We had a Hanukkah pillow case (nothing at all trditional about this, but usually my mom would wrap the presents and line them up on the table with the menorah and I could pick one. One year she forgot to wrap them so threw them in a pillow case and I got to pick that way and we continued it) and discussed where the holidays came from once I was old enough to understand.

My children will also be getting a Scandinavian/Icelandic set of magical creatures in the Yule Lads, who are mischievous trolls that leave treats for kids and have a lot of stories and mythology surrounding them. It also feeds into a lot of Icelandic history that I find really interesting.

Holidays are going to be very varied here and a whole lot of fun!! 

imageimage
  • Options
    imagemamabear0813:
    imageTambcat:

I agree with this! I mean, if you can' threaten coal in the stocking instead of candy, what good is it? I mean, you still have to buy the candy so you might as well get something good out of it while you can! 

Definitely!! Kids today grow up thinking it's ok to act whatever way they want and they still get things. I hate it. I don't think telling them YOU will be watching will do much IMO.

Part of That World Blog
    my read shelf:Jennifer (JSweetieXO) Cepero's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Totally doing santa and the tooth fairy and all that fun stuff!!

Santa never wrapped his presents to anyone except my Mom :) and filled our stockings!  It was a magical part of being a kid that I'd never give up for anything!

imagepregnancy
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"