Success after IF

**Ela81**

Hi,

I just read your post below about your husband's sperm issues.  We used to live in Atlanta and originally went to ACRM then ended at RBA with Dr. Toledo so my husband can see the only male factor urologist in Atlanta Dr. Witt, which I assume you are talking about.

My unsolicited advice is go ahead and see him since he's the only show in town but follow up at Cornell in NYC if you can.  My story is very long but to try and make it short, Dr. Witt did an exam and tons of tests on my husband then decided on his course of action with medication of an extremely high dose of steroids.  Thank God my husband is a physician and thought that dose seemed off.

I researched quite a bit and found a Dr. Schlegel in NYC and even tracked down his email.  He emailed me back within 24 hours and advised us not to take that high dose.  We ended up in NYC and my husband did so many tests that Dr. Witt didn't do.  At Cornell, there is a team of male factor doctors, not just one in a city.  He advised us to cycle wtih Toledo at RBA but under Cornell's protocol.  He knew of Toledo and spoke highly of him, not so much of Dr. Witt.  If once cycle didn't work with Toledo, he suggested we go to Cornell and he would find sperm. 

fyi RBA uses PICSI with ICSI.  Google it, it's amazing.  We were orignally given a 3% chance of IVF working because whatever sperm my husband had was damaged basically so the embryos wouldn't make it they thought.  But between Toledo treating me and Schlegel treating my husband, we have twins that are now two years old and 3 frozen embryos which we are about to visit in a few months!

Good luck, let me know if you have any questions.

Re: **Ela81**

• Here is his bio. https://www.cornellurology.com/physicians-faculty/find-a-provider/peter-schlegel

fyi I made the appt in January for the end of may.  That's how far out I had to book him since he's only sees patients certain days and travels around the world giving lectures.

• Hi! My DD is from ACRM. While I don't have a huge problem with them there have been a few things here and there that have bothered me. Yes, RBA is where we are going to switch to. I originally had an appointment with Dr. Toledo until Dhs urologist who we like referred us to a RE at ACRM. 

I have had tons of recommendations for Dr. Toledo, my neighbor has trips from him (not the preferred # of babies I know). I know several people at my old church who used him as well. I'm bummed to hear that about Dr. Witt, I had higher hopes for him. We know my DHs dx so do you think that could play in our favor? 

When I see NYC/Cornell I see $$$$. I hope my DH would be up for that if that's what it comes down to. We are 100% oop so that keeps putting a damper in our baby making plans.

It's great to know you have frozen embryos, I want frozen embryos so bad. We one had 3 embryos on day 3 and we used them all, they were pretty poor quality at that.

I'm looking forward to googling PICSI. It' my understanding the lab guy there is one of the people who developed ICSI.

Thanks so much for the info!

For DD - IVF/ICSI #1 - BFP / For DS - dIUI #1 - BFP Dx:severe MFI-Y Chromosome Microdeletion Isabel born 10-15-08! / Baby Boy EDD July 2013 imageLily  pie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I really didn't have any huge issues with ACRM but realized a lot of our treatments were a waste since my husbands male factor was so bad, it wasn't being treated.  Dr. Witt wasn't horrible, he just couldn't admit that what was going on with my husband was beyond his scope of knowledge.  He literally was guessing what the problem was and then prescribing medicine on a hunch.  I think he's good for the basic male factor stuff though.  Again, worth going to.

As far as $$ with Cornell, it is if you cycle there.  It's very high plus they want you there the full 2 1/2 weeks of beginning stims to transfer so living in NYC for 2 1/2 weeks ads up of course.  But hopefully you could cycle in Atlanta.

Our insurance covered most tests except a few blood tests which we knew up front.  We made a vacation out of it.  We scheduled appointments on Tuesday and Wednesday and flew to NYC on a Sunday and left on Wednesday night.  We had a great time actually! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"