Baby Names

Weird middle name?

I think we've settled on a first name - Elise. I really liked Claire as a middle name, but DH has suggested we use the name Cairy - his grandmother's maiden name (pronounced just like Carrie). At first I said absolutely not, it's not a "real" name, etc. I was dead set against it. Maybe it's pregnancy hormones or something, but I'm softening up. I've realized that he won't be having a boy, and this is his only chance to kind of "pass on" a name. Also, our first daughter's middle name came is from my side of the family.

What do you think? I don't love it, but I'm thinking maybe it's not so weird that I couldn't live with it for him. I think it helps that it sounds like a "normal" name. Opinions?

imageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Weird middle name?

• I actually love it. I pretty much don't have any rules for middle names...
    BFP #1 6/3/10 | EDD 2/5/11 | Noelle born 1/28/11
    BFP #2 12/20/11 | EDD 8/24/12 | Natural M/C 12/22/11
    BFP #3 5/13/12 (Mother's Day!) | EDD 1/23/13 | Natural M/C 6/9/12 (blighted ovum discovered 6/7/12 at 7w1d)
    "And to think when their little eyes opened, the first thing they saw was the face of Jesus."
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My Ovulation Chart | My Baby Name List
  • IRL, you hardly use your middle name, unless you intentionally use it.  Your daughter will go by Elise (Last name) most of the time.  Or Elise C. (Last name) at best.  

I know many kids that have unique middle names because they are from different culture.  I personally value meanings more than just pretty for middle names. 

m/c - Dec 2005, DS - March 27, 2007, m/c - Oct 2009, DD - Feb 20, 2012

Proud mother of two breech babies:)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I've seen many girls with their mother's maiden names or family names in the middle name spot.  Some women when they marry legally change their middle name to their maiden name, so I don't find this odd at all.  And besides, she most likely won't have to spell it that often, so most people will just think it's Carrie.
    imageimageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• I really like it. It does sound like a 1st name so that helps. If you were doing it just to be different then I'd roll my eyes, but I love the family connection.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I love family surnames for MN's!

PS LOVE your DD's name 

Mother of  Sable Rene' & Clifton Michael
    Blog    Names
  • I think it is great.  I think middle names should always have a meaning, and this seems to be important to your DH.
  • I like it!

[spoiler] My Blog: Grow Baby Grow

BFP #1: 12/2009 m/c 1/2010 BFP #2: 6/2010 m/c 8/2010

BFP #3: 10/2011 ectopic 11/2011 (right tube removed, learned left tube was probably nonfunctional due to scar tissue from infection after m/c)

3 failed IUIs, IVF #1: 18R, 12M, 10F, 3 poor quality 5d embryos transferred= BFP #4!!!!!

Betas: 9dp5dt: 64 ~14dp5dt: 91 (expecting miscarriage, doubling time of 236 hours) ~16dp5dt: 200~18dp5dt: 500

First Ultrasound at 6w2d revealed two sacs, only one with a heartbeat

LK arrived after 42 weeks on August 14, 2013! Beautiful, healthy, and happy!

TTC#2: IVF booked for April 2015

Surprise BFP#5 February 19, 2015 EDD: November 2, 2015

Betas: 10dpo: 10, 14dpo: 77, 17dpo: 270

First Ultrasound at 5w1d showed a miracle UTE baby! And right ovary ovulation to left fallopian tube.

JD arrived at 38 weeks on October 20, 2015.

TTC #3: Since October 2017. BFP #6 July 2, 2018 EDD: March 16, 2019 [/spoiler]

• I love it.  I know quite a few people who have their mother's maiden name as their middle name. We did the same thing for DS.
  • I don't see why it should be a problem, go for it

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • I really like it!
    * DS1...allergic to dairy, peanuts, eggs and turkey *

love is for every her, love is for every him, love is for everyone
  • I really like it, family name or not!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Giving children family surnames as middle names is traditional in MIL's family.  DH's middle name is his paternal grandmother's maiden name and SIL's middle name is from MIL's side somewhere, not sure how far back. 

Like someone else said, Elise won't use her middle name unless she likes it and chooses to.  It's meaningful to DH, so go for it!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I agree with PPs- if our LO is a boy, we picked "Morgan" for the middle name, mostly because it's my uncle's middle name and he's a lifelong bachelor. I really wanted to honor him that way- for me, it was a bit of a hill to die on. FI isn't crazy about "Morgan", but I made the same point that some PPs made. He'll never use "Morgan" unless he chooses to, and I think it will mean a lot to my uncle. FI doesn't want to name the baby after him, so there's that....

I think as long as we both agree on the first name, FI doesn't care much. For example, we picked "Amy Elizabeth" for a girl pretty quickly, because we both love the name "Amy" and "Elizabeth is my middle name, my mother's first, my grandmothers first, and the name of three of my great-aunts.

I LOVE Cairy (ed for spelling?). I think it's so unique and lovely all at the same time!

"Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same."- Emily Bronte Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"