1st Trimester
Options

I work in healthcare, what precautions should I take?

I'm a certified medical assistant and work in a family practice. I know the obvious ones like wearing a mask around patients with possible flu or upper respiratory infections and staying away from people with chicken pox but are there others I should be aware of? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated :)
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: I work in healthcare, what precautions should I take?

• Options
    i think your supposed 2 stay away from certian cancer meds..a woman i used 2 work with her husband had 2 store his meds at a relatives house while she was prego and stay away for few days after his teatments.your dr may have a list or pamplet
    image baby Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

You should get the added protection of a flu shot (I am assuming you already have excellent hand washing hygiene ;) ). And, yes, unless you are already contraindicated for it like being allergic to chickens, you can and should have the flu shot in any of the trimesters (better to get it sooner). You should also look into bacterial pneumonia (not sure if you can get this while pregnant) and pertussis vaccines.   

Good luck!  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    That's good to know because my mom has ovarian cancer right now but for the time being is finished with treatment. Thank you!
  • Options
    Good luck to your mom! 
  • Options

Thank you!

• Options

Stay away from any patient with shingles.That is really important.

You should get the flu shot, always use universal precautions. I don't wear a mask for most patients illnesses but if they have the flu, then by all means protect yourself. 

I am a nursing student and I don't take any patients that are on precautions (MRSA, VRE, etc). Its not completely necessary but they don't make me. 

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Stay out of the x-ray room. :)
  • Options

Someone posted this on allnurses.com and it's all I follow.  And FYI, shingles is really only a danger at the end of pregnancy, as if you were to catch it, your baby is likely to catch it after birth.  For most of your pregnancy, it's not a huge deal.  (But feel free to play it safe.)

"According to the CDC (Center for Disease Control) pregnant health care workers should be restricted from caring for patients with the following diseases. These patients should also be isolated."

Syphilis
    Rubella
    Mumps
    Measles
    Chickenpox (if mother not immune)
    Mycobacterium tuberculosis (TB)
    Cytomegalovirus
    Ebola
    Parvovirus B19 (Fifth's Disease)
    Listereosis

• Options

I have to work with clients in isolation, but was told as long as I follow protocol (mask, glove, gown)- I'm fine. Since I don't really have much choice, since I haven't told anyone, thats a good thing for now, lol.

DD 15.07.2012

BFP #2 01.18.2014, MMC 04.10.2014 15w5d

BFP #3 07.18.2014, MC 07.31.2014 5w6d

DX: RPL due to submucosal uterine fibroid. Hysteroscopy 12/16. All clear!

image</a

• Options
    I work for an ophthalmologist, and they tell me to stay away from shingles and cellulitis and other types of staph.
  • Options

Ask your doctor this specific question for the most accurate answers.  Did you doctor draw MMR and varicella titers? If so and you held the varicella titer, then you shouldn't have to worry about people with shingles. 

And yes, there are certain prostate medications that you should also handle with gloves, but that goes for any woman in her reproductive years.

As a medical professional, you should be using appropriate precautions with all patients, not just those with the flu, etc.  I'm not saying you need to wear a mask with everyone. Even a non-pregnant person would wear a mask around someone with flu-like symptoms.

I take care of patients with MRSA, VRE, CDiff, ESBL,Shingles, (My varicella titer is ok) and my doctor says it's ok, as long as I use the same personal protective equipment I would use if I were not pregnant.

Talk to your doctor so you don't need to drive yourself crazy with worry :)  Good luck!!

• Options

And PS. I was advised by my doctor not to get the TdaP (a tetanus shot that includes the pertussis vacc) until AFTER I am 20 weeks.

• Options
    imageNautical2012:

I take care of patients with MRSA, VRE, CDiff, ESBL,Shingles, (My varicella titer is ok) and my doctor says it's ok, as long as I use the same personal protective equipment I would use if I were not pregnant.

Yep, and as far as the Shingles, as long as it is not disseminated and you are immune/have had Chicken Pox, you are fine.  Just took care of a pt with Shingles the other day.  Working as an RN in the ICU, it is impossible to avoid isolation patients.  There are some inhaled medications we give through the ventilator where I definitely can NOT go in the room... but don't think you'll have to deal with that in the clinic :) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"