December 2010 Moms

Announcing arrival of beautiful new baby boy:)

Last Tuesday our beautiful son Donovan was born.  He is perfect and despite being born at 37 weeks he had no health problems except for some jaundice which we have been treating. The second he was born I felt instant love and it has been an amazing journey the past week!  Getting to go home on Friday was the best Thanksgiving wish ever!!

A quick honest summary of his birth:  this went completely opposite of what was expected and I've heard from many in the hospital this was a very rare labor and delivery so do NOT let this make you nervous or assume this is the norm.  I was induced at 37 weeks for preeclamsia and I checked into the hospital Monday night to be induced  Tuesday.  Due to bp concerns, I was put on magnesium unexpectedly (also known by nurses as "devil's drug"- a really horrible drug which causes flu like symptoms and prevents you from eating, drinking, or leaving the bed at all for several days).  The magnesium also counteracts the pitosin so we expected a few days of pitosin, with a likely c-section outcome.  A few hours later I suddenly went into fast and sudden labor and dialated very quickly over a few hours (instead of days)- the contractions started coming very quick and very painful.  My birth plan for using different positions throughout labor were not an option due to magnesium so my doula and my husband helped me breathe and get through the contractions.  By the time I decided I wanted an epidural I was already almost into pushing and it was too late.  The baby unfortunately got stuck during pushing because the magnesium made me so tired and it took me 2 hours but eventually he came out! For me, pushing was the hardest part of the entire process- I was so exhausted that it was really hard to find the energy to push so intensely for so long.  They ended up giving me oxygen to help me with pushing. 

I had a lot of blood loss, and developed 2 hematomas which were likely because I had to push for so long.  Once I was allowed off the magnesium 24 hours after he was born, I started to feel like a normal human again, and was able to move and eat again.  The hematomas did not require surgery, and for now I am trying hot/cold treatment, etc, but they hurt really bad!  If anyone has had these, I'm open to any suggestions to help with healing!

After a week in the hospital it felt amazing to go home with my beautiful baby!!  It was a really rough labor experience, but it already feels like a distant memory and I have been loving every moment of being a new mom.  Wishing all of you a beautiful and healthy baby and a quick and easy labor!! 

Re: Announcing arrival of beautiful new baby boy:)

• imagemands629:
    I think you meant to post this on 2011, but I'm glad you posted here.  I love birth stories and remember what it was like back when I was in your shoes.  Sorry you had such a rough labor, but congrats on your new baby!  Enjoy every moment of it!

Same! Congrats on your little one, and enjoy!! It is such a wild ride. *sniff*

norathe girlsamelia
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Congratulations on your new little guy!  I know it's a cliche, but it really does go by so fast as all of the ladies on this board can attest.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Aw, congratulations! :) I"m sorry labor was so rough, but you really can't beat the prize at the end! Wink
    photo IMG_6758_zps3fe7e628.jpg
  • Congrats & enjoy every second!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"