Breastfeeding

Mastitis and my supply!

Hey ladies.

I was diagnosed with mastitis yesterday. I thought I had the flu for 3 days & was able to get an appointment with my OB, he checked my breasts and sure enough! I'm on antibiotics now. My supply, however, has seriously dropped since getting mastitis. Is this common? Will my supply go back up after it clears up. My medication says I need to take it for two weeks. Is my supply going to completely disappear? I'm supplementing with formula because my son is still hungry and I'm becoming extremely depressed over this because I can see a future without breast milk already and he's only two weeks old!! I've been crying all day long and I could really use some encouraging words, personal experience and maybe even some tips of what I should be doing in the mean time until my infection goes away.

How much water should I be drinking? I've never been someone who drinks a lot of fluids so it's really easy for me to forget to drink some water for my supply.

Thanks for reading this little rant. And I hope you have some words to offer.. =] 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker    

Re: Mastitis and my supply!

• It is normal for your supply to drop with mastitis. Just pump /nurse frequently to keep your supply up and help clear the duct. Nurse that side first. LO will suck harder in the beginning.

Your supply should go back up shortly after you stop the meds

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thank you! I'm EP because he doesn't want to latch so pumping will have to do!! Thank you again =]
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker    
  • Loading the player...
  • I used to get it all the time when I EP with my first.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"