Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

what are your feelings on LO & TV

Just wondering what your thoughts are:

I do let LO watch TV from time to time through out the day but do not use it as a babysitter, I admit some times its a quick break for me

Re: what are your feelings on LO & TV

• I think in moderation its fine.  He watches a half hour in the morning while I get ready and maybe a half hour to calm down in the afternoon.  We spend way more time  playing, reading, and snuggling so I don't allow myself to feel quilty about it.
    Asher Benjamin and Lola Aisling

Infertility
    PCOS, Progesterone Deficiency Disorder, Multiple Miscarriage
    Clomid, Metformin, Ovadril, PIO, P17 Iron/Platlet Tranfusion

My Spring Babies! 
    <3 Angel Baby   Elisabeth Adelle  April 2008 <3
    Asher Benjamin  April 2010
    Lola Aisling  May 2014
  • I let my DD watch tv, I think its ok in moderation. With 2u2 I need a break once in a while!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • DD is 15 months and she watches Sesame Street, however, it's only on in the background while she's playing with her toys.  Every so often she'll watch (especially if the puppets are on or if there is singing).  I don't think it's a big deal.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • LO watches sesame street everyday and will dance when Ellen dances. otherwise, she's busy playing, we're busy reading, or we're out of the house running errands. i think so long as a person is interacting consistently and positively with their child, TV isn't a major concern.
  • imageABColeslaw:
    I think in moderation its fine.  He watches a half hour in the morning while I get ready and maybe a half hour to calm down in the afternoon.  We spend way more time  playing, reading, and snuggling so I don't allow myself to feel quilty about it.

This exactly. 

We watched Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer today actually.  Come on, it's a classic that he must see!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Everything in moderation.

However, DD doesn't watch TV... lol.... but sometimes I do have it on when she's around, but mostly it's off and we are reading or playing.

She just won't sit and watch TV, not even for a minute.

• LO does not watch tv, nor do we have it on while he is awake.  I figure I've got the next 16 or so years to battle electronics and I'm not going to encourage it any too soon!
  • imageEdytola:
    I let my DD watch tv, I think its ok in moderation. With 2u2 I need a break once in a while!

What a great siggy!  Your girls are adorable.

• My LO will watch tv on mornings that I have to get ready and my husband isn't around to help out with her. I don't mind doing this and I actually put in educational videos. It's the baby einstein movies right now its the word one..I figured this maybe will help her start saying more words?
  • She watches 20 mins in the AM and 20 mins before bed, the rest of the day it's off.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• imagewife1014:

imageEdytola:
    I let my DD watch tv, I think its ok in moderation. With 2u2 I need a break once in a while!

What a great siggy!  Your girls are adorable.

Thank you!! I see you got two girls to!! Fun fun fun :) lol 

And I just realized ur inCT to! Where in CT do u live ??  

• I have an older one too who is over 4 1/2 yo.  When he was this age, he'd hardly sit for more then a couple minutes of tv.  My DS2, who is 21m, definitely watches more tv then DS1 did at his age, and is more interested in it as well.  I don't feel like they watch too much tv, and am not worried about it.  They are VERY active boys, and sometimes I put the tv on for a bit just so they can settle down!  I confess I do use it as a babysitter for DS1 during the 10min it takes to get DS2 down for his nap, and don't feel guilty about that at all.   
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • If it weren't for TV, there would be many nights that dinner would not be cooked. Call it a babysitter, or whatever, but I can't cook with DD hanging on my leg and crying because I am not holding her.

• I was always staunchly against DD watching TV before 2yrs. Then came Shark Week and I sat her down in front of one of those shows with her dinner. Now, she'll get an hour a day- typically Team Umizoomi and/or 3rd and Bird. This let's me take care of DS and get the days laundry done, breakfast dishes done, etc. Otherwise I try to keep it off now because she gets so into the TV that all alse ceases to exist and that scares me.
  • DD didn't watch tv until she was 14months, other than if it was on in the background. DS has been watching tv with DD since the day he was born. They usually get one show in the morning while I make breakfast and pack their lunch, and another before/after dinner. On the weekends, we occasionally watch a movie too. I don't think it's bad, but I also don't want my kids glued to the tv 24/7. I also think it's very important to monitor what your kids watch -- i.e. my brother turned sponge bob on for them the other day because it looked like a cartoon, IMO it's not appropriate for them.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageNG2HD:
    DD is 15 months and she watches Sesame Street, however, it's only on in the background while she's playing with her toys.  Every so often she'll watch (especially if the puppets are on or if there is singing).  I don't think it's a big deal.

Pretty much this.  DS really has no desire to actually sit and watch tv, but when he hears music, he looks to see what's going on. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was dead set against it until I got pregnant and exhausted. DS watches 2 shows/day when we get home from work which allows me to get dinner ready and prep for the following day. He really more wanders in and out of the TV room and does more playing with his toys than watching the TV.
    "Normal day, let me be aware of the treasured day you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart...let me hold you while I may."

TTC #1- unexplained...lost left ovary 4/07 IUI #1 2/10/09-BFN IUI #2 3/5/09-BFN IVF # 1-BFP

TTC#2- FET 4/7/11 BFP, Natural mc 5/5/11 IVF#2 ER 9/13/11, ET 9/16/11, Beta #1 9/27/11 BFP 254 Beta #2 9/30/11 793 -Twins!

• We were completely against any TV before 2 and even canceled our cable service when our son was small to remove the temptation altogether. Well, my mother in law bought him Your Baby Can Read and we watched those every so often (no I don't think they will teach him to read, but they're kinda cute videos with lots of pictures/videos of babies, kids and animals, all things that my son enjoys). Well then I got pregnant and tired/sick all the time. We started watching disney/pixar/dreamworks movies on the weekends. We never make it through a whole movie at once, but it's so nice to just snuggle on the couch with him when I'm feeling sick. In the last week since I've been home on pseudo bedrest (I'm 39 weeks and feeling awful) he's watched more movies than in the whole rest of his life combined. 

Oh, and we watch some videos online. Specifically he loves the Dogs 101 clips on Animal Planet. I don't know anything about any actual kids shows though and hope to avoid those for a while. I know what I'm getting with the movies since I've seen them all before and the dogs 101 is "educational". 

• DS watches 1-2 20 minute shows a day.  I was never staunchly against it, but I didn't really think he needed it.   However, now that he is a holy terror and throws temper tantrums at the drop of the hat, I have discovered the magic that is television.  I can get 20 peaceful, uninterrupted minutes without screaming, crying, hitting, head-butting, climbing, or whatever other mischief he gets into.  My sanity is worth it.

• Everything in moderation. My LO has liked it since a baby. At times the only thing that could stop her from crying was baby einstein, baby bach or baby neptune. It was the only way we were able to drive to Florida for vacation with a 6 month old. TV in our house is usually on ESPN or Sportscenter. LO loves golf :)

When I need to cook or when its time to calm down she gets to watch a movie. Right now she is into 101 dalmations or as she calls it PUPPIES!

• imageJulesDiane:
    If it weren't for TV, there would be many nights that dinner would not be cooked. Call it a babysitter, or whatever, but I can't cook with DD hanging on my leg and crying because I am not holding her.

This is us completely.  The one show he watches won't kill him and we turn the TV off as soon as dinner is ready.  The rest of the night is spent reading or playing. 

Big Kid Jan 2010

Littlest Man Sept 2012

• I admit, DS LOVES his shows on Nick Jr and goes right to the t.v to turn it on all of the time. i do not use t.v as a babysitter but it is on in my house more than I'd ;ike it to be. When I am cooking it is a must, as DS gets under my feet while I'm in the kitchen.

During the morning he will watch sesame street, then I make sure he spends time outdoors, or listen to some music while he's playing, 

At night we read books, maybe watch 1 or 2 shows.  i don't allow him to watch anything violent or non educational.

• All day, every day, forever and ever, amen.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • imageMrsSR:

Everything in moderation.

However, DD doesn't watch TV... lol.... but sometimes I do have it on when she's around, but mostly it's off and we are reading or playing.

She just won't sit and watch TV, not even for a minute.

This is how DS is.  The only time he has sat down to watch tv was when he was sick and had a fever and cuddled with me most of the day.  We watched Chuggington.  He didn't care about anything else for the entire show.  He decided he was on the move after that was over though.

• DD watches sesame street in the morning when she wakes up.
  • I admit, we let our kids watch more TV than most people. Probably about 2 hours a day. It's usually while I'm cooking since DS and DD will have it out over toys in the next room if I'm not right there to mediate. I don't really have a problem with it since I've seen DS learn so much from TV/videos.  He really responds to it and learned his alphabet and the phonetics by 17 months after watching the Letter Factory for about a month.  I know what he watches and I'll reinforce the content by talking to him about that subject afterwards or whenever the opportunity presents itself.  He learned how the plumbing system in our sink works, how to read basic words, dances, yoga (!!!) from TV.   DD seems to be following suit...she's recognizing a few letters now and can sing Backyardigan songs!

I think as long as TV isn't the only activity they get, it's fine.  We do plenty of other stuff during the day and we take them out to places all the time.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"