Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

9 month old refusing formula

I breastfed my son until he was 8 1/2 months old and occasionally supplemented with Enfamil Prosobee.  He lost interest in breastfeeding about a month ago and I transitioned him to a bottle with formula.  He did great for the first few weeks - he'd drink 6-8 oz about 5-6 times a day, but the last week or two, it's been terrible.  I'll make him a bottle and he'll only drink about an ounce and then refuse to drink any more.  I try to give him about 4-5 bottles a day, and it's always the same.  We're wasting so much formula.  I've tried giving it to him in a sippy cup, too, and he'll just make a terrible face and refuse to eat it.  He drinks a lot of water and juice in his sippy cup and is eating a lot of solids.  I always try to give him a bottle before he eats solids to try to get him to drink as much as possible, but it makes no difference. I've even tried a different formula, but no luck with that one, either.

My question is, can I start him on vitamin fortified whole milk or soy milk?  I've even tried cutting down on his solids, and he'll still only drink an ounce or so at a time.  Help!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Check out my blog ThreeHundredPages.com Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: 9 month old refusing formula

• Options
    I'd say its too early for milk but I'd talk to ur pedi. Maybe u should try a new formula. DS likes similac advance when I'm not breastfeeding. Good luck!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Same thing happened with DD - we had to drop her down to only 3 bottles a day (6-8 oz). Maybe try to drop a feeding or two? If he's eating a lot of solids, thats prob why he isn't that interested in the bottle. DD LOVES food, getting to touch it, taste it, feed herself, etc. I can't even spoon feed her anymore because SHE wants to do it and always grabs the spoon from me (talk about messy). So she just east the same food as us at this point. And we did switch to whole milk per our pedi (w/ some formula) - I thought the rule was age one and no sooner, but they said if she is eating a variety of food (the same stuff as us), it is fine to introduce her to cow's milk. I talked to my mom, and she started me on whole milk at 6mos so I didn't feel so bad about doing it at 9m.

Def don't cut down on the solids if he's eating them, obv solid foods are the ultimate goal, formula/bottles are just temporary so don't force it. I might cut out the juice, but thats just me. GL!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you so much!  That makes me feel a lot better, and I'll definitely call his pedi today to ask about the cow's milk.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Check out my blog ThreeHundredPages.com Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"