Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

When to try again?

Hi there!

We just lost our first baby on Monday at 6 1/2 weeks.  I am bleeding (quite a bit), so I believe that it will be a natural miscarriage, without having to get a D & C or anything else.  The last few days have been horrible, to say the least.  I know I have read different things all on the web- that you should wait at least a cycle (or more) before trying again, and some say that you can be your most fertile right after it, so you can try right away (or as soon as you are emotionally up to it).  What are your thoughts? Are most of you going to wait a while to try again, or start right away? 

Re: When to try again?

• I would ask your doctor what they recommend and follow whatever they say. They each have different opinions and varying reasons for those opinions but I believe it is VERY important to ask them first and listen. If you don't agree or don't understand then ask them to explain why the recommend what they do.

For the record, yes I waited 3 cycles after my first loss, 5 cycles after  my second, and will just wait 1 (but 2 before we attempt IUI) after my 3rd.

My OB recommded 3 cycles after my first loss and her opinion on that didn't change regardless of having a d&c or natural miscarriage. I started seeing my RE after my 2nd loss and he recommended 1 cycle but we waited longer in order to get test results back and to heal emotionally after one hell of a year. This time we are only having to wait one so we'll try on our own next cycle and move to IUI in January.

I personally believe waiting for one cycle is really important but I'm not convinced that waiting longer is any more beneficial. No, I don't have any real scientific research to back me up but almost EVERY doctor will say wait at least one. I think the chance of miscarriage goes up minutely if you don't wait one. Your body goes through a lot of trauma during a miscarriage and waiting for one cycle just gives your body a little extra time to heal and get back on track and get super healthy again.

I'm sorry for your loss. (((hugs)))

[spoiler] My Blog: Grow Baby Grow

BFP #1: 12/2009 m/c 1/2010 BFP #2: 6/2010 m/c 8/2010

BFP #3: 10/2011 ectopic 11/2011 (right tube removed, learned left tube was probably nonfunctional due to scar tissue from infection after m/c)

3 failed IUIs, IVF #1: 18R, 12M, 10F, 3 poor quality 5d embryos transferred= BFP #4!!!!!

Betas: 9dp5dt: 64 ~14dp5dt: 91 (expecting miscarriage, doubling time of 236 hours) ~16dp5dt: 200~18dp5dt: 500

First Ultrasound at 6w2d revealed two sacs, only one with a heartbeat

LK arrived after 42 weeks on August 14, 2013! Beautiful, healthy, and happy!

TTC#2: IVF booked for April 2015

Surprise BFP#5 February 19, 2015 EDD: November 2, 2015

Betas: 10dpo: 10, 14dpo: 77, 17dpo: 270

First Ultrasound at 5w1d showed a miracle UTE baby! And right ovary ovulation to left fallopian tube.

JD arrived at 38 weeks on October 20, 2015.

TTC #3: Since October 2017. BFP #6 July 2, 2018 EDD: March 16, 2019 [/spoiler]

• My doctor told us to wait a cycle, and that he would see us back pregnant in 3 months. lol. With that being said, we werent preventing the past 3 weeks after my mc. I just finished my period. so the whole process for me was about a month and a half. But every one is different. good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • So very sorry for your loss!  I just had a m/c with my first pregnancy last week, and my doctor said the same as pp... Wait for one regular cycle, and try again. 
    I'm kind of anxious to see how my AF responds to the m/c.  It finally got on a regular cycle the last several months, so i'm hoping it will continue!

The very best to you! 

1st bfp- 11/14/11 mc 11/26/11
  • I'm sorry for your loss. :(

I agree with PP - follow your doctor's advice.  My doc said after I have two normal periods, we can TTC again.  Until then, we have to TTA.

After 7 years of no ovulation...
    BFP#1 10/24/11 ~ EDD 6/29/12 ~ Natural m/c 11/2/11
    BFP#2 2/3/12 ~ Alice born 9/26/12

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Oct Angel Babies
  • Sorry you are going through this.  It sucks...there's no other way to put it.  I just had my follow up appt with my doc and she initially told me to wait 2 cycles to start trying but after we spoke she said everything seems good and we can start trying after one cycle which is what we plan to do.  She said she expected to see me back there again soon...i hope so! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • So sorry for your loss.  I just got the news yesterday that I'm going to miscarry soon, too.  I am pregnant from IVF.  I asked my doctor how long we need to wait to try again, and he said that we need one natural cycle.  That of course is purely from a physical perspective.  You might feel like that you need longer from an emotional one.  For us, we're going to try again as soon as possible.  Moving on, feeling like I have some control over the situation, can only be helpful.     

Baby girl Lila born 2013.
    Baby boy Henry born 2015.
    Expecting our capstone baby (boy) early March 2018.
  • imageMash67:
    My doctor told us to wait a cycle, and that he would see us back pregnant in 3 months. lol. With that being said, we werent preventing the past 3 weeks after my mc. I just finished my period. so the whole process for me was about a month and a half. But every one is different. good luck!

Definitely what my doctor told me too...and exactly what I'm going to do after I get done with my bleeding. 

Anniversary BFP 11/04/11 M/C 11/26/11
  • imagemrs.ike:

I'm sorry for your loss. :(

I agree with PP - follow your doctor's advice.  My doc said after I have two normal periods, we can TTC again.  Until then, we have to TTA.

Same here.

Baby #3 is on the way! EDD  3/8/15
    DD1--8/29/10
    DD2--11/6/12

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"