1st Trimester
Options

Badly "burning" nipples when cold....

Sorry ahead of time if something like this has been asked before...

I'm currently 12 weeks pregnant, and for the last month or so, whenever I'm cold (which is often), my nipples get intensely painful. It's kind of burning, and is really just in the areola and nipple area. They occasionally also turn a dark purple/red, or slightly white in areas.  I have had sensitive breasts (my only symptom besides fatigue, actually) but the awful burning only happens when I'm cold or occasionally when I do something like lay on my stomach, or something brushes them (seatbelt, jacket, etc). Before I was pregnant I would sometimes get the same burning when I was very cold, but rarely and it didn't last long. Now it happens with just a slight chill and hurts for up to 45 minutes at a time.

I asked my OB, and all he was able to tell me was to try and stay warm. I have a pretty inactive job in a chilly office, so it's easier said than done. Any suggestions, even if just for quick relief? Walking around work rubbing my chest and groaning is probably freaking out my co-workers. :-)

IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Badly "burning" nipples when cold....

• Options
    I had this with my first pregnany as I developed Raynaud's phenomenon at five weeks. I couldn't even lean into the fridge without my nipples burning! There is a cream you can put on your nipples to help if it is Raynaud's, so I would ask your doctor about it. I got almost instant relief once I had an answer and knew how to stop it. I also got the Raynaud's back after breastfeeding, but this pregnancy I have not experienced it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I've been experiencing the same thing.  Including the nipple blanching (turning white).  Just like you I've had it in the past but it's fleeting.  Since becoming pregnant it's almost daily and lasts for a long time.  It's extremely painful, I had it happen at a Browns Game and I was almost in tears for the better part of an entire quarter.  I've self-diagnosed Reynaud's but haven't confirmed with my OB yet.  I will definitely be mentioning it at my next appointment. 
    BFP on 1/27/11 - EDD 10/7/11 - M/C on 2/21/11 @ 7w3d
    BFP on 11/3/11 - EDD 07/6/12 - DD born 6/27/12 via c-section 
    BFP on 1/31/15 - EDD 10/9/15 -- Beta #1 @ 17dpo: 394, Beta #2 @ 20dpo: 1604 (35 hour doubling time!), Beta #3 @ 24dpo: 5287
    1st ultrasound 2/19 6w6d - strong heartbeat and measuring perfectly!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"