Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Screaming LO (also posted on breastfeeding board)

so a little back ground....my LO was born at 36 weeks 5 days and weighed 6 lbs 1 oz. The LC I saw in the hospital tryed to help me get him to latch on but he just wasn't doing it, which she said was common with late preterm babies so she had me start wearing a nipple shield and feed him through a tube next to the shield. After my milk came in and LO got to be about 2 weeks I was able to get him to nurse with the shield. Well I went to a breastfeeding support group and they wieghed him before and after I fed and were worried he wasn't getting eough so they suggested i give him a bottle or two of pumped milk a day to make sure he was getting enough so I have been doing that ever since, well now my LO is a month old and can finally latch on with some effort on both of our parts He took 3 oz off my right breast on monday at my breastfeeding support group which is good. anyways the past two days when i feed him he will nurse for about 8-10min the spit out my breast so I burp him and then when i try and put him back on he just starts screaming hysterically once i was able to calm him down enough to get him back on but the other couple times he wouldn't latch back on.I feel bad because sometimes i get so frustrated I just want him to breastfeed normally. Any ideas why he may be doing this?? I am worried he isn't getting enough when that happens and usually end up giving him a bottle at the next feeding to make sure he gets enough at that feed. any ideas or advice is greatly appreciated. thanks so much
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Screaming LO (also posted on breastfeeding board)

• Is it possible he is full after that 8-10 minutes of nursing?    My DD (and my boys did this) would get po-ed if I try to nurse her when she just wants to comfort suck....she gets upset if milk comes out and she doesn't want it, and that's when I pop the binky in...just a thought?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageadri77:
    Is it possible he is full after that 8-10 minutes of nursing?    My DD (and my boys did this) would get po-ed if I try to nurse her when she just wants to comfort suck....she gets upset if milk comes out and she doesn't want it, and that's when I pop the binky in...just a thought?

thats my only thought.. maybe hes mad because he really is done.

photo 22e3a93e-8933-4ed0-acf4-72665341621b_zpsd73ca8f6.jpgp>

"What did my fingers do before they held you? What did my heart do with it's love?"

CafeMom Tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest

• Loading the player...
  • imageT&HLove:

imageadri77:
    Is it possible he is full after that 8-10 minutes of nursing?    My DD (and my boys did this) would get po-ed if I try to nurse her when she just wants to comfort suck....she gets upset if milk comes out and she doesn't want it, and that's when I pop the binky in...just a thought?

thats my only thought.. maybe hes mad because he really is done.

this! exactly happens with us. 

• I have also experienced this. Except it happens with my LO at night. He wakes up to eat about every 2 hours, but lately has only been eating off 1 side. He sits it out, I burp him, try to put him back on and he freaks out. So I have just been giving him his binki and he falls right back to sleep. 
  • Question-do you get a burp every time?  if not maybe it could be a gas bubble irritating him...I just started experiencing that with my LO.  If I tilt him back and forward and kep burping him I'll get a burp and he stops crying and wil continue nursing...

(Same birthday, 2 years apart!)
  • Thanks for your responses ladies glad to know my LO isn't the only one. I do burp him when he spits the breast out and then when i try and put him back on is when he freaks out. I was at a breastfeeding support group today and the LC recommened I try cutting out dairy to see if that helps, which is fine I'll give it a try but what I don't understand is when I give LO a bottle of my breastmilk he drinks it no problem which makes me think it isn't something I am eating...does what you eat effect them that quickly?? like within minutes?? I found out today that before his meltdown he was able to get 2.3 oz which isn't as much as I'd like but atleast I know he is eating some.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"