Trying to Get Pregnant

TTC & changing jobs

So I am in the process of possibly changing jobs and we are also TTC. I worry about either just finding out I am pregnant or getting pregnant soon after starting a new job. I know you are not required to disclose TTC in an interview or anything, but has anybody else ran into this and what did you do? Or do any of you ladies that has not dealt with this have any advice on what you would do?

TIA

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: TTC & changing jobs

• I started a new job in October, and we started actively TTC last cycle (CD1 was 10/17). I have thought a lot about this because I feel I am pretty important at work, and they have dumped a truck load of work on me. I told DH that if we get KU fast, in the next cycle or 2, I am going to wait until I am 3 or 4 months along (depending on the bump) to tell my boss. When I accepted my new job, I did not know that we were going to start actively trying, so I feel awful! If i were you, I wouldn't disclose that you're TTC, and just go along with the ride, and let them know a while after you get your BFP! And, if you're planning to continue working after the birth, signing up for Short term disability could prove difficult if they know you're TTC and you have the wrong HR person: another reason I haven't told anyone at my work!

Just my 2 cents, hope it works out!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagemrmrssauers:

I am going to wait until I am 3 or 4 months along (depending on the bump) to tell my boss. 

This! Like you stated previously, you are not required to tell your boss immediately so I would wait it out.

Hope it works out. 

• Loading the player...
  • I did this last year. I started TTC in April 2010, & didn't ovulate til like the 29th or 30th. I had a job interview on the 7th & started the next week. Well, the week I started I found out I was pregnant. I planned on not saying anything until 10ish weeks, but I had a patient with a disease harmful to pregnant women & had to out myself around 7 or 8 weeks.

Everything was fine at that point. I was in the probationary period, so technically they could've fired me. It became an issue when I needed maternity leave & didn't qualify for FMLA. You need 1,250hrs & 12 consecutive months, if I remember correctly, to have your job held for you. I was basically able to be fired the day I left on maternity leave because it was considered "personal" since the "medical" LOA was almost the same as FMLA. My boss & HR pretty much assured me there was no way I'd lose my job, but I got put on bedrest at 32 weeks.... Meaning I needed about 16 weeks of leave, which was never going to happen. My boss's hands are tied after about 4 weeks, & HR forgives up to about 10 weeks. Thinking I'd have my job 16 weeks later was ridiculous, so I quit. In hindsight, I could've not quit & collected unemployment, but we don't need the money & I wanted a clean break instead of tons of paperwork & nonsense.

Anyway, sorry its long. That's my 2 cents. If you're going to SAH after anyway, then TTC & do whatever you want with your job. If not, or if you need insurance or whatever, you may want to delay TTC until you're sure you fall into a time frame that would work with FMLA & all that. GL!

DS1- Jan 2011
    DS2- Sept 2012
    M/C- Sept 2011

2u2!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"