Babies: 9 - 12 Months

LO on the skinny side, how can I "fatten' Him up???

My son is 10 months old now and at his 9 month check up he weighed in at the 7th percentile. The doctor wasnt worried, he is pretty long but I want to fatten him up a bit lol. He eats pretty often and now that his teeth have come through he eats a little more. Anyone else have a skinny baby??
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: LO on the skinny side, how can I "fatten' Him up???

• Maybe i'm just not easily amused but, I think that that the PP was annoying.

Anyways, we have been told that we can start to make Morgan's formula more concentrated in hopes of getting more calories in her.

Is your LO eating solids 3x a day?  How much formula per feeding?

If he's been consistently 7th percentile then yes, maybe it's genetics, but still, obviously knowing that 93% of all other children are bigger does make you feel like there must be something you can do to help him.

Sometimes it's the case, sometimes it's not.

GL.   

DD1(4):VSD & PFO (Closed!), Prenatal stroke, Mild CP, Delayed pyloric opening/reflux, Brachycephaly & Plagiocephaly, Sacral lipoma, Tethered spinal cord, Compound heterozygous MTHFR, Neurogenic bladder, Urinary retention & dyssynergia, incomplete emptying, enlarged Bladder with Poor Muscle Tone, EDS-Type 3. Mito-Disorder has been mentioned

DD2(2.5): Late term premie due to PTL, low fluid & IUGR, Reflux, delayed visual maturation, compound heteroygous MTHFR, PFAPA, Bilateral kidney reflux, Transient hypogammaglobulinemia, EDS-Type 3

• I have a skinny baby too! I've tried to fatten him up to no avail. He was eating more than enough (like 4-5 baby food jars daily, only the high calorie ones of 100+/4oz) & some solids, with BF 6+ times. He barely gained 2oz/week, which is average but you'd think he'd gain way more. Anyway, he was sick all week last week & actually lost 2oz since 2 weeks ago. I'm trying everything I can- more food, higher calorie food, formula (which he refuses), more nursing, less nursing..... & haven't found anything to work :(

If you figure it out before I do, give me some baby-chubbying tips please! I'm not too worried because he's already walking so clearly it burns calories, but it would be nice to not worry at all.

DS1- Jan 2011
    DS2- Sept 2012
    M/C- Sept 2011

2u2!
  • Loading the player...
  • imageGhostMonkey:

Change his genetics.

LO is in the 8th percentile and the doc was worried.  I asked if I should increase anything and she said, "Why? Baby is happy and healthy, don't worry about it".  Feel free to encourage eating more calories than your kid needs though, sounds like a great idea. 

***** TTCAL/Forever Buddy to Cour10e******
    -m/c at 11w2d due to partial molar 2008 -m/c #2 2009
    Beautiful daughter born February 2011
    **Ultimate TTCALer 2009**

• Is there a reason why you want your LO to be in a higher percentile? From what I gather, higher or lower percentile does not mean better or worse. If he seems satisfied and is healthy why would you spend time worrying about getting more into him? I believe it is important to follow hunger cues!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If the doc isn't worried, I wouldn't worry. My LO is barely on the chart at this point and my pedi says, "Well, somebody has to be in the first percentile!" And it's true. If every kid in the world gained two pounds tomorrow, there would still be a kid on the first percentile. It doesn't mean something is wrong, it's just a statistical distribution.
  • Ds is skinny and I don't think anything we do will fatten him up! Concentrating calories just resulted in him taking in less ounces. We've decided that he knows what his body needs, so we're just rolling with it now.
    imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I don't know why you'd want to force feed your child and fatten them up if they're healthy and following the curve, where ever they fall on the curve.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

• Our baby is on the thinner side, and as long as the Dr. isn't concerned, I'm not either.  He eats fine, and has normal pee and bowel movements, so I'm not going to try to change anything.
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Both my kids are skinny.  My 2 year old wears 12 month size pants because he has no butt.  He's over 2 years old and barely 24 lbs.  My 11 month old is following his footsteps.  At his 9 month check up he was only 15 1/2 lbs.  The pedi told me to switch to formula and now he's plumping up.  He seems big to me, but he's still a shrimp.  Last I checked he's up to the 5th percentile for weight.  I think he's in the 30s for height.  I weighed him the other day and he was a littl over 19 lbs.  the only thing I can tell you to plump him up is the formula vs BFing worked.  I must not have had a good supply, even though DS never seemed unsatisfied.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DD went from the 22nd to the 44th % in 3 months (between 6 mo & 9mo).  We fed her cereal & fruit/veg purees mixed together along with the dinners 2 - 3 times per day.
  • imageIncogNeato:
    If the doc isn't worried, I wouldn't worry. My LO is barely on the chart at this point and my pedi says, "Well, somebody has to be in the first percentile!" And it's true. If every kid in the world gained two pounds tomorrow, there would still be a kid on the first percentile. It doesn't mean something is wrong, it's just a statistical distribution.

This.  I've been a pediatric dietitian for 11 years, and I've seen so many parents stress about their kids being at the low end of the growth chart, when their child is healthy, happy, eating appropriately, and meeting developmental milestones.  If your child's weight has always been at the low end of the growth chart (as in, hasn't consistently been dropping percentiles), but they're healthy, happy, eating well, and meeting milestones, there's no need to worry.

• LOL Thanks!!! I guess things could be worse.

• My DS is the 50%  for weight and 95% for length, He is a stringbean and the Dr said not to worry as long as he is happy, eating and hitting all milestones, which he is.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My DD is on the skinny side as well... she was in the less then 3% at her 9 months appt (14lb 11oz)  Doc wanted her in 4-6 weeks later just to make sure she was gaining weight but did not seem overly concerned, he suggested maybe giving her some avacado, or cooking her chicken in olive oil and stuff to add a few calories but thats about it.... DH is worried but I do believe he is over reacting.  DH & I are not large people and never have been, so part of it is genetics.   DD eats as much as she wants but when she is done her month closes and she is DONE.  She's happy, heathly, crawling like a champ, pulling up on everything, trying to walk and talks non stop.... I see no need to be concerned.    Some babies are bigger some are smaller... someone has to be in that 99th % and on the flipside someonehas to be in that 1st %

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"