Parenting

Clicky Poll....WWYD?

Drive 10 hours to Disney world DH, DS (5) and yourself gas would be about $175 round trip or splurge and spend about $850-$900 and fly the 3 of you cost includes rental car since staying off-property. Condo we are staying at does not provide shuttle to Disney so rental car is a must if we fly. Flight would be 1.5 hour.[Poll]

Re: Clicky Poll....WWYD?

• A 10 hr drive is no biggie IMO. Plus, by the time you get to the airport early for check in/security, fly, land, get baggage, get rental car, you're already at the very least 5 hours of travel time.

• imagegrja:

A 10 hr drive is no biggie IMO. Plus, by the time you get to the airport early for check in/security, fly, land, get baggage, get rental car, you're already at the very least 5 hours of travel time.

Yes

promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • Loading the player...
  • Well, if I ever get to take my kids to Disney I'll be driving, and it's a 16 hour drive, so 10 hours doesn't sound bad at all. That, and the cost savings would decide it for me.
    Ridley Run 3.1 - 4/9/11 - 34:24 - 1st race evah!
    Kelly Monaghan's 5K - 5/15/11 - 3rd Place in AG
    Walk the Talk 5K - 5/18/11 - 31:12 PR
    Ridley Run 3.1 - 4/14/12 - 1st race of the year, 32:45
  • We are driving from Central FL to philadelphia for Christmas.  It is worth it to have my car, car seats, etc.  I can't wait!  Wawa here I come!
  • I think you might be underestimating the cost of flying/renting.  When we rent a car for a week in Orlando it generally costs in the $600 range.  That's $600 for the rental car alone.  Flights obviously extra.

We drive now.  I estimate flying the 4 of us and renting a car for 2 weeks to cost approx $3000.  Driving is gas and wear only.  For us it is a no brainer even if it means 24 hours in the car.  Stick out tongue

• imagekaren6784:
    We are driving from Central FL to philadelphia for Christmas.  It is worth it to have my car, car seats, etc.  I can't wait!  Wawa here I come!

Seeing as how I live in the Philly burbs, this post gets a thumbs up! Love me my Wawa coffee :) 

Ridley Run 3.1 - 4/9/11 - 34:24 - 1st race evah!
    Kelly Monaghan's 5K - 5/15/11 - 3rd Place in AG
    Walk the Talk 5K - 5/18/11 - 31:12 PR
    Ridley Run 3.1 - 4/14/12 - 1st race of the year, 32:45
  • imageridesbuttons:

I think you might be underestimating the cost of flying/renting.  When we rent a car for a week in Orlando it generally costs in the $600 range.  That's $600 for the rental car alone.  Flights obviously extra.  Stick out tongue

If you do decide to rent a car, let me know. We just got home from a week in Orlando and paid less than $300 for a minivan. We did it through this agent I found on ebay. I was skeptical but it was totally legit. FIL also rented through this guy because he was not able to come close to the rate he got us.

• Rental cars in FL are usually pretty cheap. There's no way you'd spend $600 for a week, unless you needed something super fancy.
  • 10 hours for vacation is probably my limit -- actually 8 hours is my limit, but I'd stretch it for FL.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • 10 hours in a car w/my fsmily would have to come with a straight jacket.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageEMT:
    imageridesbuttons:

I think you might be underestimating the cost of flying/renting.  When we rent a car for a week in Orlando it generally costs in the $600 range.  That's $600 for the rental car alone.  Flights obviously extra.  Stick out tongue

If you do decide to rent a car, let me know. We just got home from a week in Orlando and paid less than $300 for a minivan. We did it through this agent I found on ebay. I was skeptical but it was totally legit. FIL also rented through this guy because he was not able to come close to the rate he got us.

Thanks for the tip.  Renting at the airport is outrageous!

• imageridesbuttons:
    imageEMT:
    imageridesbuttons:

The rental company was actually Budget or Enterprise (can't remember which) so we did pick up from the airport. :)

• imageEMT:
    imageridesbuttons:
    imageEMT:
    imageridesbuttons:

The rental company was actually Budget or Enterprise (can't remember which) so we did pick up from the airport. :)

Ok.  You MUST tell me what Jedi Mind Trick you performed!  I am looking at the webiste (Enterprise) right now and for a Grand Caravan (or similar) for the weeks we are going, the rate is $790/week USD.  Hell, a Chevy Aveo (or similar) is $575/week.

• imagegrja:

A 10 hr drive is no biggie IMO. Plus, by the time you get to the airport early for check in/security, fly, land, get baggage, get rental car, you're already at the very least 5 hours of travel time.

This, exactly.  And I like road trips, personally.  So much alone time with each other.  The kids and we bond a lot over road trips.  It's time you can use to really talk, and just be yourself. In a crowded airport, I'd be stressed that my kids were not behaving.  

• Ten hours isn't bad. I'd drive. Flying/renting a car with children is such a hassle and so expensive too.
  • RB, yeah I know. The price this guy was able to get was like half what it was when I looked on priceline etc. I gave him the details of our trip and he reserved it and send me a reservation email from budget. I then paid him 15 or so through PayPal. Like I said I was super skeptical but all his feedback on eBay was glowing and it worked perfectly for myself and my FIL (who is a frequent flier/corporate traveler but w as still unable to come close to his price).

He does car rentals anywhere but specializes in Orlando I guess. If anyone is seriously interested, I can send you his email. You just email him the details of your trip. He comes back with a quote and if you want to move forward, he reserves it and then you pay him. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"