November 2011 Moms

Swaddling?

Our LC at the hospital said NOT to swaddle baby to sleep. Needless to say last night sleep didn't go well. She would be sound asleep in my arms and as soon as I laid her down in the bassinet she started screaming. Finally around 4 am I put her in her swing and she slept 3.5 hours. What are your thoughts on swaddling to sleep? Safe or not?
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Swaddling?

• safe.  and why is a LC giving advice on swaddling?

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • i have swaddled DS every night, including the 2 nights we were at the hospital. All the nurses agreed it was the best way to get baby to sleep since it makes them feel more secure. What was her reasoning for saying it is unsafe?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I swaddled DD until she was 5 months old.   I attempted it with DS..but so far he hates it.  I wish he liked it..DD slept in her crib from day 1, and DS has yet to sleep in his crib at night. 

If it was unsafe, why do they do it in the hospital?

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Tickera>
  • That's exactly what I was thinking. They swaddled her the one night we were in the hospital and she slept for like 4 hours straight. Of course DH and I are scared to death something is going to happen to her and wouldn't want to do anything to possibly put her in danger, but swaddling just seems natural to do.
  • I know the LC's want to make sure you are UN-swaddling baby before feeding to get them into the proper postion....I've NEVER with the 3 babies I've had heard that swaddling is dangerous, or had an LC tell me not to do it at all....can you give her a call to clarify?  To satisfy my curiosity???!!!!  :)
  • I was always under the impression that proper swaddling reduced the risk of SIDS.
    photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary
  • See, I'm with y'all. The LC said that it can cause them to sleep TOO soundly, therefore causing SIDS. Never heard this theory before.
  • imageTomsShugShug:
    See, I'm with y'all. The LC said that it can cause them to sleep TOO soundly, therefore causing SIDS. Never heard this theory before.
    Too soundly? That's weird.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Umm, strange.  I agree with everyone else!  One of the things the NICU nurses taught us was how to swaddle so that he'd be comfortable AND safe when sleeping at home.  It's safe.  Go for it!
  • imagekclear:
    i have swaddled DS every night, including the 2 nights we were at the hospital. All the nurses agreed it was the best way to get baby to sleep since it makes them feel more secure. What was her reasoning for saying it is unsafe?

this. 

• imageTomsShugShug:
    See, I'm with y'all. The LC said that it can cause them to sleep TOO soundly, therefore causing SIDS. Never heard this theory before.

That's not something I've ever heard of.

The only "sleeping too soundly" issue is that the baby may not wake himself up to eat. So if he sleeps too long you'd need to wake him up when it is time to feed.

That's the only reason I can think of why an LC would be telling you not to swaddle, as the baby could potentially sleep through a feeding.

So just set an alarm or timer for the feeding, and wake the baby up. That's the advice we've been given so far.

• imageoliviosis:
    Umm, strange.  I agree with everyone else!  One of the things the NICU nurses taught us was how to swaddle so that he'd be comfortable AND safe when sleeping at home.  It's safe.  Go for it!

This exactly...Phin was in NICU for almost three days and we got the same advice.  He hates having his arms swaddled, but he is very content when the rest of his body is swaddled.  Plus, since we cannot use blankets and we live in the north, it keeps him warmer at night. 

• Safe and 150% necessary to keep your sanity.  I wish I would have known how important it was with my first.  Instead we set ourselves up for a good year or so of bad sleeping.  Learned my lesson with the other two and have slept much better.  Use a Velcro swaddle blanket.
    Mama to Lucy (7/06), Lexi (5/09), and Max (11/11) M/C 12/17/10
  • I've never heard of it being unsafe. I wish DD liked to be swaddled but she HATES it and fights her way out in like under 5 mins.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"