July 2012 Moms

Bladder infection :/

So at my first drs. appt they did a urine test (obviously, to confirm the pregnancy) but they also sent off a culture and apparently I have a UTI. So I've had it for at least a week and a half without knowing.  I'm on an antibiotic now, and I really hope that it will help. I've been feeling sooo awful the last week, can barely eat, and I thought it was just general pregnancy/ morning sickness. Has anyone else had one in early pregnancy? I hope it hasn't hurt anything.
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Bladder infection :/

• I'm mostly a lurker these days, but just wanted to chime in since not much had been posted here. I had one two and was initially freaked out since I really had no idea how long I'd originally had the infection, but my OB put me on antibiotics and as far as I can tell, I'm fine now. The awfulness you're feeling is unfortunately probably just general first trimester fun. Mine hit really bad around 7 weeks and hasn't let up yet, despite the fact that I've finished my antibiotics. The only difference I've noticed is that I don't have to pee nearly as often as I did before and I'm a little less crampy in my abdominal and kidney areas. Actually, no kidney pain at all anymore.

And yes, UTIs/bladder infections are very common during pregnancy, mostly because the  pressure from your growing uterus makes it more difficult for your bladder to completely empty and easier for urine to just hang out and breed bacteria. You do want to make sure they're treated quickly and appropriately so that they don't turn into kidney infections, but a round of antibiotics usually does the trick.

I plan on asking my doctor for a little more detail or if there are any additional concerns during my visit next week. I'll let you know if I learn anything new.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"