Breastfeeding

Breast shields

I feel like I am missing something obvious here. I am making a registry now and am trying to get all my boob juice gear on there, but I am not sure how many breast shields I need for pumping. The recommended ones for the pump I like cost almost $15 for a two pack but are often described as disposable. Surely people are not using them and just throwing them away? Can't I reuse them? I went to the Medela site, and they list some models as being compatible with reusable shields but not others. There are some really cheap ones at big box stores that look like they'd crack if I tried to use them a bunch of times, but I actually do want to reuse my shields if I can to have less waste. I figure I would want some extras around in case, but how many do I really need, and how do I know what ones are ok to reuse? Can I boil them like I would boil a glass bottle to clean it? Thanks for any info--I feel like this should be obvious stuff but I am having a hard time getting clear answers from manufacturer web sites.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Breast shields

• I've never heard of disposable breast shields...interesting!  

I just have the ones that came with the Medela PISA and DH bought me some of the soft fit breast shields at the prompting of some woman in BRU who saw him looking confused when I sent him out to get me my pump.  I'm probably going to get one more set for a total of three for when I start back to work just so I don't always have to wash them and have them ready for the next day.  

I just boiled them once when I first got them.  From then on I've put them in the dishwasher or washed them by hand between pumpings.  When I work I plan on pumping 3 X at work and will just throw all the pump parts in the fridge between pumpings and throw them in the dishwasher when I get home. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • That makes a lot of sense! Thank you!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"