Breastfeeding

Breastfeeding=sitting on the couch

Does anyone else feel like all they do is feed all day? My little guy eats every 2 hours during the day and I don't see myself being out and about with him. By the time I get anywhere he'd be hungry! Anyone else find this hard? It makes me want to FF.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Breastfeeding=sitting on the couch

• It's totally normal to feel like all you do is nurse in those first several weeks.  LO has a tiny stomach and breastmilk is easily digested, so they need to nurse frequently.  He's also telling your body how much milk to produce for him has he grows.  You can still go places, you might just need to nurse him while you're out and about - no big deal.  I was nervous to nurse in public at first, but I used a nursing cover and it was fine.  You can even nurse in your car, or duck into a dressing room if you're at a store or something and want more privacy.   

If you FF, you'd still have to feed him while you were out and about and you'd have to bring formula and bottles with you.  It's much easier to BF b/c you always have the milk with you.  :)

ETA: If you have a sling of some sort, you can nurse the baby while wearing him in the sling and that would free you up to move around.  But for now, I'd say just enjoy these quiet moments and catch up on reading or phone calls/emails or movies.

someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • ditto pp, it does get easier as they go longer and eat faster.  Learning to nurse in public is definitely 'freeing' though...even if you use a dressing room, your car, etc.  that way you can get out and not feel trapped.

But yes, your job now is to nurse, recover, and just relax and enjoy the ride.

My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Feel free to go to the mall. Nordstroms has a amazing nursing room. You can get out of the house shop around and if baby gets fussy run into Nordies!! Its a perfect excuse to browse the store when you are done too!!
    ANGELA_11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hang in there! Do you have a smartphone or a laptop or iPad or anything? Now is the time to get reading or internetting done. I was very proud of myself when I figured out how to nurse DS1 and hold a book with my other hand - and I got a ton of reading done then, hee hee.

It's nursenursenurse non-stop those first few weeks. Both my sons started going longer between sessions around 10-12 weeks (which probably sounds like it's years away, but it does start to go faster, I promise!). It gets better!!

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Yep. I went to Wal-Mart earlier and LO was hungry while I was checking out. I took a bottle of expressed milk with me just in case. I fed her with the bottle in the checkout lane and came straight home (I live 5 mins from most shopping in town) to let her finish on the breast. I wanted to go to a few other shops but just came home since she was hungry.

You might try expressing milk for the times when you want to go out or have someone watch LO. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It gets better! I just chill out with my kindle or netflix. I figure this is part of my post-partem recovery time =)

But yes, sometimes I feel like feeding is *all* I do, he nurses still at least 8 times a day.

Raising a threenager since 11/11
    Baby boy #2 due 5/6/15
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"