Toddlers: 24 Months+

Potty training. . .

I'd like to start the potty training process for DD who is 28 months.  What method did you use and how long did it take for success?

Re: Potty training. . .

• I started PTing pretty young with DD, but didn't push it. We let her run around naked a lot at home, with her potty in sight and she did a great job going on it. However for a while, she struggled with the clothes on/ still go to the bathroom on the potty thing. But I decided we were done with pull ups and put her in undies and have not looked back. She had accidents the first few days, but now is doing awesome. It is similar to the "Dr Phil method" I felt like everytime I put a pull up on her to go somewhere we would lose all our ground. So I just stayed home, or dealt with any accidents that happened. I would say it took about 3 days and she was done. She is also sleeping through the night accident free!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • dd has been familar with the potty since 1 1/2, she occasionaly would go if i put her there. over thanksgiving weekend, i had 4 days off work so i spent most of the time potty trianing her. at home she did not wear a diaper. after 2 days of me asking her all the time if she needed to go, she started to tell me when she did need to go. were on day 4 with no accidents and a dry pull up in the morning and after naps.
  • Loading the player...
  • We started around 18 months with DD diaper and pants-less for the majority of the day with a potty close by. Most of the time she made it, but it was sometimes messy. I also would have her sit on the potty every time I went. We did a reward system with stickers. Then we went on a long car ride, put her in a diaper and she refused to use the potty for a few months, and wouldn't even wear pull-ups. I didn't want to force anything, so I gave her some time. She started daycare and some of the other kids were potty training, so she wanted to too. They give the kids an M&M every time they go potty -- worked much better than stickers! Every 15-20 min they brought the kids in and had them sit. After a few days DD started asking to go on her own. Within a week and a half she was without accidents. We do put a diaper on at nap and bed time just to be safe, most nap times she wakes up dry though. Good luck! Be as positive as possible!

Oh, and another good tip I read was to buy LO underwear with his/her favorite character on them and say "(insert character) doesn't want to get dirty or wet, so make sure you tell us if you need to use the potty!"

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thanks guys for the advice and stories. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"