June 2011 Moms
Options

poop and diaper rash questions

Maya's been dealing with her first bout of constipation- thanks to the bananas she ate over the weekend.  I gave her a tsp or 2 of pureed prunes last night and she ate maybe another oz of them this morning.

I had expected a blowout from the prunes so I put her in a disposable diaper (I am not doing diaper laundry for another 2 days b/c I have to take them to a friend's right now so if I am anticipating a big poop I'll put a paper diaper on her). 

Well, she hasn't had a blowout.  She keeps pooping small nuggets or blobs of firm "peanut butter" poop.  We're up to 5 or 6 already today.  I noticed her butt was getting red- I'm assuming from pooping so often and getting wiped so much.  I put some California Baby diaper rash cream on her and she started screaming like it was burning her.  This is the cream I've used on her since she was born and I don't remember such a reaction happening before.  

Is this normal, or could the redness be a reaction to either the bananas or the prunes?  And did I not give enough prunes to really get things moving?  Everyone that told me to use prunes said, "Watch out- they work fast and it will be messy!" , but that hasn't been the case here.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: poop and diaper rash questions

• Options

Diaper rash cream can burn. This is my list when LO has a rash. DS gets a horrible rash every time he is on meds.

1. Leave them without a diaper
    2. Grind one cup oat meal in blender and add to warm bath
    3. Let bottom air dry
    4. Triple antibiotic and baby powder (pure cornstarch) I put it in the diaper then put it on baby then there isn't any inhalation. Then I switch to just vaseline after a couple of days.
    5. I use a wash cloth and warn water to clean while diaper changing
    It usually clears within a day or two. I hope that helps.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"